Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again guys, how bout some ideas on where to mount my 5" monster Auto Meter Pro Comp tachometer? Ideally I want it attached somehow to the dash where the speaker grille is, but on the column may work. Let me know some info, experiences etc.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would advise you to put it somewhere that is easy to glance at without taking your eyes off of the road or track. If you are going on the street you should give some thought to making sure the tach does not block your view, this may well rule out the dashboard anywhere. Cops around here have been known to stop people for tuff hanging from their mirrors. Seems picky until you realize just how easy it is to not see a motorcycle coming.

·
Registered
580 Posts
IMO, a monster type tach is a bit big to go on top of the dash, at least for the street.
Here,s what I did with mine.

Provideing your not a midget, you can still read the speedo.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I bent a peice of thin metal (1/8" or so) in somewhat of a "z" (90 deg. angles)shape,removed the center speaker grill,fastened it to the speaker mounting location,the speaker grill will go back in place,then fasten your tack to the flat metal sticking out. I have a monster tach and it does not interfer with your vision.The best part is there are no hole exsposed in the dash if you remove it.It looks great!!!!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
On 2006-07-13 12:29, fat64 wrote:
IMO, a monster type tach is a bit big to go on top of the dash, at least for the street.
Here,s what I did with mine.

Provideing your not a midget, you can still read the speedo.
I'm not trying to start problems but that scoop is going to block more of your view than a 5" tach would,By the way what style scoop is it,cause it looks awsome on there and I might add one to my 64.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It,s a Mr Gasket Hilbourn style scoop.

If you want your view blocked off, try this.....

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-07-13 23:21, fat64 wrote:
It,s a Mr Gasket Hilbourn style scoop.

If you want your view blocked off, try this.....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Boesse Engineering builds an insert for the dash. It replaces all gauges. Temp becomes speedo, fuel becomse tach, and where the speedo was becomes temp, fuel, oil, volts.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do like that setup, however, I did buy guages well before and aren't the sizes to match, mine are 2 5/8". Also, I plan on putting the fuel and temp auto meters where the stock ones are, and like to keep the original speedo.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
A lot of people overlook this kind of thing I think. Sit in the car the way you normally would while doing the driving you do the most. If there is anything blocking your view such as your scoop, in the angle that you can look/see the road then use that space, but put it in that exact space to fill just that area. What this means is; it may not necessarily be centered or even look "right" when you are out of the car looking in, but when you are in the driving position, it is just right. A perfect example of "form follows function". As for the cops; most of the time cops even bother with that kind of stuff here in the USA is to find probable cause to stop the car for something more serious than view obstruction. Check you local laws, but with all this customization going on ie lowered roofs and windshields that are 6" tall I cant see that being a real factor. Cool car BTW

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 7/16/06 12:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That setup looks great, matches the 63's black real nice. I actually should have went with the ultra lite 2's, the silver faced ones, but oh well. I like 5' tach's that go up to 11 000 rpm's with toggle switches, nice and big.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts