Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas my tach seems to be way off, I've checked everything ( I think) acts like its reading 2X faster then it is. Its an Autometer and I haven't cut the wire for 4 cylinder specs. I have it getting power from the fuse block, can't remember which one but it has power only when the key is on.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
MAKE sure that all of your connections are snug on the Starter Solenoid. Mine was WAY off once, and that was my problem. It was also a bad starter solenoid, so between the 2, it was fixed
Hope it may be something this quick and easy! BTW, you did use ALL of the wires, right?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had that problem too, but with me, the green wire wasn't hooked up very snugly. I was hooking it up, when I was distracted and forgot about it until the day after.

Does you guys' tach read about 1000 or 1500 rpm when the car is shut off? Mine does and I was wondering if that is normal.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Rod, yes, when the power is cut to it? Then when you turn the key on, it shoots back to 0 right? Where did the green wire go to? Maybe that was my wire that was not on tight.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah that's what it does.

The green wire went to the tach output on my MSD 6A box.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Its normal for the needle to not rest at zero. I think it has something to do with the "air core movement" or something?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using the MSD dist. that doesn't use a box, supposed to be built in, can't remember the number. Have tach wire to coil. It worked fine until I found out I had the alt. wire hooked up to the wrong side of the solenoid I ended up changing starter, and solenoid at same time. I have fuel pump wire and cooling fan for tranny getting power from the hot side of solenoid. Also have power to CSI starter from this lug. I shut off pump and disconnected cooler wire but still same thing. I'm wondering if I could have F*%$#d it up when I had the alt. wire wrong. Fuse block is crusty and I'm thinking of running tach power from hot lug as well or hooking up a lug seperately to run accessories and just having stock wires on solenoid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts