Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been driving my cougar much lately. Basically it only gets driven around my neighborhood when I'm testing a repair and to the track which is only a couple miles away. I haven't even taken the slicks off for like 6 months! Basically what it boils down to is that I have not been spending enough time or money on it. Seems like it's been broken a lot lately. Now that gas is getting close to $4 a gallon it seems like a great idea to be driving a car around that gets like 6 mpg.:cool:

In a perfect world I could drive around on the street with slicks and race bullets right off the headers forever. Unfortunately, I've got a pretty good idea the the state of Virginia probably doesn't see things my way. A few isolated sightings of a loud car haven't brought much attention. I'm fearing that if I start driving it on more of a daily basis, I'll probably be getting a first hand encounter with the police.

Right now my exhaust consists of this:

It's just a few 3" mandrel bends welded up so that I could stick some race bullets on the car without hitting anything. I'm thinking about getting some 2 1/2" mandrel bent flowmaster tailpipes, and another set of mufflers that I can unbolt at the track. So my track setup would consist of what I have right now and my street setup would be another set of mufflers and some 2 1/2" tailpipes. I'd like to run 3" all the way back, but I have not been able to find any 3" mandrel bent tailpipes.

If I were to go the route of a removable tailpipe/muffler combo, would I be better off to get another set of 3" mufflers, then adapt to the 2 1/2" tailpipes after the muffler, or would it be better to adapt down to a 2 1/2" pipe right after the race bullets? I would think that from a performance standpoint I'd be better off to add another set of 3" mufflers, and from a noise control standpoint 2 1/2" right after the race bullets would probably be better.

New rims for street legal tires are already on the way, so I'd like to get this exhaust figured out pretty soon. Anybody care to offer up some opinions? If you need to know more about my car, I'll post it later. For now you can probably just click here: http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/garage/469496-neighbors-love-me.html

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Nice looking Cougar!!! I'm running Spintech 333SCS's on mine. Think it's around 92db at idle(1100rpms)and 116db WOT. It has Hooker SuperComps (Jet Hot coated) w/2.5" exhaust, an H pipe, and 3" tips out the sides.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It's not a very good picture but here is my 3 inch exhaust done by a local muffler shop..It's not mandrel bent but it is 3 inch all the way back through the GT valence..I'm sure it is still much better than 2 1/2 even with the non mandrel bends...

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Run 3" back to a set of 3" muffler in the standard location.
Weld collector rings to the muffler outlets.
Use header reducers to connect the Flowmaster 2-1/2" mandrel bent tailpipes.

This gives the best of all worlds. The tailpipes make life easier on the street. The tailpipes can be easily removed by loosening six bolts for 'hotrodding' on the street or muffled track duty. The removable tailpipes also make removing the entire exuaust MUCH easier in case transmission work, etc is required.

It's the ONLY way to fly with a street car. ;).

Crush bent pipe flat out sucks. Stay away from it. If there are only a couple very minor bends... maybe. Major bends, like the ones required to go up and over the axle for a tailpipe are killers. The changing cross section puts velocity all over the place. With mandrel bent, the velocity stays constant, as well as being free.

Same diameter pipe. Mandrel bent vs. Crush bent.

Here's an article on it...

WarpSpeed Performance Mandrel

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I agree that you should run 3" back to the tailpipes. Be sure that the mufflers you run are truly 3" inside their chambers. Many 3" mufflers are smaller chambered mufflers with 3" ends so you can use 3" piping.

Here is how I added street mufflers and tailpipes to my street/strip stang. I unbolt the rear mufflers and go racing:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forum_images/.vim/TechExchange/dennis111friendlyexhaust/pic9.jpg

Worth about .3 over the full exhaust system. Here is the full writeup:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/tech-exchange/468717-street-strip-friendly-exhaust.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts