Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a Thunderbird SC 2 speed fan on the 240Z 302.The fan motor looks similar to a Taurus unit. Using low speed it doesn't take long to blow a 30 amp fuse of the Derale thermosatic fan controller.The fan draws enough amps that the engine will actually slow down at idle from the load on the 100amp alternator when the fan kicks in. Other than that the fan seems to keep the motor cool. Is this normal for a Taurus/Thunderbird fan?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I thought they only used a lot of power when they kick on?

I've been wanting to do this upgrade for a while. Got a friend near us in Canyon Country that runs the two speed fan on a '66 stang without problems. Wish I knew more about it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If the fan draws less than 30A under normal running conditions, i.e. not start-up, you might get away with a 30A slow blow fuse

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just read the article for more information. Sounds like they knew what they were doing. They didnt have any issues after getting it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah,I checked out the article also. They used a 14ga fuseable link instead of an actual fuse. Not sure how many amps it takes to blow a 14 ga fusable link.I temporarily wired in a 50 amp plug in fusable deal from AutoZone and it seems to work. Radio Shack was the only place to stock a 40 amp blade type fuse to fit the Derale wiring. Haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hmm maybe you skipped through it??
They use a 14 gauge fusible link for any possible shorts, not for current protection. Thats what their for. However they did mention that you should be using a 75 amp or higher rated RELAY setup for the current from the battery. Also if you need that much current (40+amps) You should also be running 8 to at least 10 gauge wire for the power to the fan from the relay and from the relay to the battery.
As far as the fuse you need it sounds like they needed a higher rated fuse than that. The fan they were using pulled a CONSTANT 40 amps. Not good to run a fuse thats rated at the constant load. Id say at least 50 to 60 amps. Maybe higher because of the Spike of amps to near 130amps at startup
Heres a place to get the relay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-ELECTRIC-FAN-CONV-BOSCH-RELAY-75-Amps_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ018QQitemZ280027704634QQrdZ1
good luck

5.0 block,B303,1.7 Rockers,beehives,'68 ported heads,Coated custom Must II headers,Edlb Airgap,Holley570,Msd Billet,Crane HI 6,Milodon 8 quart Deep Pan,2.5" 40 Flowmasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 9/17/06 8:15am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 9/17/06 11:45am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts