Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night about midnight my wife got home from work. She works from noon to midnight. When she came in the door she was as mad as an old wet hen. It seems her was continuing to accellerate even when her foot was off the pedal. She said she kept applying more and more pressure to the brake pedal to keep it slowed. She finally got afraid enough to park the car a was going to walk about five miles home. She changed her mind and went back an git the car. When she started it everthing was fine.

This morning I took the car for a drive. It did indeed accelerate on it's own. When I got home I opened the hood to find the cable running to the transmission was loose from the throttle lever.(3.8 V6) I wired the cable away from the lever and it stopped accelerating on it's own. I did notice the transmission was acting funny. When in overdrive it seems to want to slip on ocasion. I checked the fluid and didn't like what I found. It was brown and yes, smells burned.

If I were to change the fluid, can I maybe get another 6 months out of the car? She is due a new one this year. I promised her a new car every 10 years. This car is now 10 years old and has 147,000 on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Qtrmiler,

Thanks for the information. I printed it for future reference. I then adjusted the kickdown as the article said. Transmission works and shifts great.

Thanks again

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 3.8 has a plastic grommet at the hsift thrtle cable when it breaks your shift points get screwed up and next your trans burns up.Trans shop here replaced my wifes grommet with brass one after rebuilding trans 1,200.00 the brass part cost .50 cents.I just sold the 93 head gasket eater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts