Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the normal In gear rotation on a c-4 transmission. I am getting serious clunking when my TCI street rodder transmission is used in automatic mode. Rear end has no slack and driveshaft is fine. If it put the transmission in gear with the driveshaft removed the rear shaft seems to rotate excessively

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rotate excessively? It’s geared. I can’t think of a reason it would rotate too fast if that is what you mean.
If your transmission has a 2.46 1st gear, and you are idling at say 800 rpm, it should be spinning about 2000 rpm

·
Registered
421 Posts
You've got that backward. In lower gears, the input shaft is turning faster than the output shaft. 800 RPM idle equals 325 RPM at the output in first gear minus some slippage in the torque converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've got that backward. In lower gears, the input shaft is turning faster than the output shaft. 800 RPM idle equals 325 RPM at the output in first gear minus some slippage in the torque converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To explain this better because I didn’t do a very good job the first time.

I put my car on a lift and disconnected the driveshaft. With this TCI C-4 transmission in park I can rotate the tailshaft about 10 degrees in either direction and it seems very excessive to me. I am getting loud clunking noise when it shifts. Any thoughts on this

Thanks in advance
Jack

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lol, duh. Yeah you’re right.

·
Registered
63 convertable
767 Posts
in park there is a pawl that engages a slot on the output shaft. if there is excess movement the pawl or shaft are worn

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Junk TCI trans built with scrap parts.

I’ve seen it more than once.
I have to agree but hope he has been lucky. I've had to fix a few TCI C6's , not impressive at all.
Not surprised on the shifts , Rare to come across a good one of their valvebodies . They usually come standard with a 2-3 flare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts