Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal. I basically rebuilt a whole motor thinking I had cooling problems from internal damage. Well after the rebuild I have the same heating issues. ACCORDING to the outside temp my car runs as temp rises. This being said if its 50 or 70 or 80 outside she runs cool.

So heres what I have, and The only thing thats not been changed is the radiator. I know the problems the radiator I just don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Aluminum 2 row 1" high flow custom made radiator. "500 dollar mistake"
180 high flow stat, I Have tried 5 different stats with the same results.
Edelbrock high flow water pump. also tried factory
Massive electric fan in a shroud with flappers. moves 3300 cfm

Car runs cool as a cucumber in winter, but heats up at speeds in summer time. Fan keeps it cool and cycles at low speeds and idle. Acts like it just does not have enough cooling area at speeds.

I am not looking for answers why I am heating up. I am looking for the best radiator out there that is proven to work. I am currently looking at dearborns radiators and the 3 and 4 cores and griffins.

Please only chime in if you know the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
One issue might be that you have a vertical flow radiator. Crossflows work cool a lot better. Either way these guys have made radiatos for me. I have had the same issue one thing it might also be flowing water to fast. Sometimes a bigger pump pulley will slow it down at high rpm or differnt size crank pulley. .

Howe Racing Enterprises

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I am building out a stroked 390 (431) and have talked with a very good radiator shop in VA. The owner, lead mechanic, will make (at HIS suggestion due to hp rating) me a 4 core 3/8 or 5/8 tube down flow core to fit my original tanks. He said it will make me run like a stock built engine A/C car. That being said, I have a 3 core down flow that is factory now. It IS an A/C car. so if a smaller tube, 3 core is good with a stock build and A/C, the larger tube and more cores should keep me really cool even in high ambient heat. I refer to the experts, this guy has done this for many years. It is not cheap as you have said, but it's right the first time.

Steve's Radiator in Yorktown VA. If you are going to spend the money, get a set of tanks and have one custom made (core) to fit your application.

FYI- A two core was stock for Non-Air Conditioned cars. (No extra load on the coolant system)
You have good HP= Load Requirement

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Looks like Dearborn is selling radiators made by US Radiator. I have their 4-row in my '67 and have not had any issues with it. When moving or in moderate temps the car will stay right around the stat temp, only time I've seen it get over 200 was in traffic once and it only got to around 205-210 and dropped right back down once we were moving again. Just a stock water pump and fan with a shroud I added on. More or less a stock engine with a little hotter cam and carb.

Mine had a 2-row Griffin in it when I bought it and had overheating issues even in 50-70 degree temps. PO installed it, and I think he chose the wrong radiator as he had a funky rigged lower radiator hose and the top of the radiator was lower then the top of the water passage on the intake. So I'm not bashing Griffins, just think mine had the wrong model installed in it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I think I may try the 4 core desert duty from them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts