Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
I've used those fitting adapters on coolant hoses to run electric fans before, it's clean and easy to replace the coolant hose if you want to remove it.

For the oil pressure sender, I plan on using this for my 289 while I do the build on my 390

oil fitting extension

I like the SW gauges...they "feel" very 60s to me. Their reliability seems to be somewhat suspect in reviews lately, but I always take those with a grain of salt.

I am likely going with this series in my 65:
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Trip computer Motor vehicle

I think this brand matches the aesthetic the best (New Vintage USA), but they have pretty bad reviews, too, particularly with visibility when mounted under the dash:
Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Font Auto part

Registered
I always go with new senders whenever possible if I install aftermarket gauges. The frequencies the stock senders work at may just be slightly off from the ones the gauge would use. And if I'm putting in gauges for this purpose, I want them to be as accurate as possible 馃槈

Registered
I think you read too much into the word "frequency". The gauge senders work on a "range". Factory senders typically have different ranges (when they aren't "on/off" switches), and thus won't work properly with aftermarket gauges. Frequencies, temp ranges, ohms, whatever...you get the gist.

Any of those don't line up directly with the gauge specs, and they will read too high, too low, not a full sweep, stuck at a fixed level, etc.

Registered
I've had gauges on a steering column before (and my tach sits there now, too). For gauges you don't need to see that often, it's no big deal. A quick glance here or there is no big deal. But for a tach, speedo, or watching gauges when you suspect a problem it can become a pain, imo. And for the switches behind the gauges, it tends to get annoying to reach behind them.

Why would you want to remove it? Just to keep the gauges if you sell the car or to relocate them if you don't like how they look?

Registered
That's a cool repro tach! I was trying to find a classic one that matched my '65 but so many of them don't work properly anymore, so I went with a "rocket tach" from Classic Instruments.

I'm putting a 3 gauge cluster in like you did this summer, just can't decide what gauges I want yet.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Registered
That's cool the way you flipped that 3-gauge bracket over. Great idea. Do you have any visibility issues with them being mounted that low? I'm sure at a quick glance you can check the status of things, just may have to lean a bit to get a closer look, if needed.

Registered
I am familiar with gauge rotation, I've done it on many of my cars, particularly a Volvo I rallied. I learned quickly what I need to look at, where it needs to be, and acquiring that info in a split second.

So it's not the rotation of the gauges was asking about, it is the visibility in that specific location. The "flipping" I mentioned was the bracket. That looks like a standard 3-gauge panel that was flipped over for that location, and I like the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts