Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a wrench on it and then another wrench for leverage and that thing is in there- the wrench dented the brass and i got scared. so I now have no way of knowing what my temp is while im driving! this sux, it wasnt bad enough that my dash lights wont work so this had to happen :( ideas?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Full 6-point socket or box only (tight fit and good alignment), and light sharp taps in the tighten direction with a light hammer first to help break the corrosion up. You're not after force, but sharp vibrations. Then alternate with right/left taps for several rounds, and then no hammer and try going at it with alternating direction if necessary. Patiently worry it out. 30 minutes of penetrant soaking with tapping helps (keep the lube off the hex), as can heat differential between the part and base metal as locksmitty said. So a small chunk of dry ice for a couple minutes on the sensor only can help to shrink it away from the manifold. Worst case, the sensor body is thick but hollow, so a punch and hammer working around from the side (don't hit the manifold) can collapse it a hair and add more vibrations. Good luck!

David

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Try a pipe wrench.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts