Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site but have found lots of info so far, however I have a rather unique situation I could use some guidance on. Couple weeks ago, I scored a 1984 LTD station wagon, halfway between family truckster and family trackstar. It’s the downsized model on the fox platform, so the previous owner stuffed it full of goodies like a 5 lug 8.8, built 5.0, 5 speed trans, so on and so forth. Seems like the only thing wagon underneath this thing is the rear springs. I was told that drivetrain is basically complete other than a few odds and ends, only major components left are fuel tank and lines (Motor was fuel injected but converted to carb, tank was missing) And some wiring underneath the hood. I was told I just needed to hook up a brain box and it should fire. All fine and dandy, but when I got it home and popped the hood, I notice a couple different setups going on. It looks like the factory duraspark harness hookups are mostly there, there is a 4 prong plug coming from the firewall, and the distributor is vacuum advance with the 3 wire round plug. However, the motor is a 94 302, and on the passenger side I see a tfi coil and harness, they go all the way back to the firewall, where the wires split Into a round 4 prong plug and a strange flat 2 prong connector. And to complicate the situation I got myself an msd 6a module, whose instructions say I can use It with duraspark or tfi, but not both. So, can I use this coil with this distributor And ignition module setup etc., or do I need a canister style coil? I can’t find much info on these ltds, I just got an old Fairmont book which I’ve been trying to decipher wiring diagrams on but not getting very far. Even if I change coils, what the heck do I need to tap into? Can I still use this harness without said coil since the wire colors seem the same as the ones in the diagram? Let me know what you guys think and thank you in advance. Getting this beast running is all I can think about right now

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can use that coil it is an E-COIL, they have higher voltage than the standard canister coil and last a lot longer.
the plugs I see are for the duraspark ignition which will plug and play with the duraspark boxes and distributor. you want the box with the BLUE strain relief. you can use one with the red strain relief ( provides a hotter spark) but will require a full 12volts of power to work properly, all the other duraspark boxes have a resistor wire dropping the power to around 5-8 volts.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great, thanks for the reply. I’m sure even with the MSD instead of the Ford brain box I should be in pretty good shape!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts