Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experiance wiring a TFI dizzy and coil into a non computerized application? I am in the middle of trying right now and have run into a wall...any help or insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I wasn't aware that you could use a TFI dist/coil without computer controls. What controls the timing advance? I thought the EEC controls advance...could be wrong (it'd be the first time)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right on the computer controlling the advance but I do not need it to advance. I will just set base timing at what I need for the RPM it will run at while racing. I was told it would work but I am becoming skeptical.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I think you're SOL. It'd be much simpler to use a points dist or if you want electronic use a Duraspark II.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've got a TFI coil with a Duraspark distributor & just changed from a Duraspark box to an MSD box, worked about the same with either but the MSD is easier to hook up. Didn't think you could put a TFI distributor on it though, what would you use to control the dist.?
Check the MSD website, under 'user instructions', they've got a couple schematics showing hookups to TFI systems.
http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_4_6200.htm

And make sure you have a wire from the 'I' terminal on the solenoid jumpered to the 12 volt supply going to the control box or it won't get any juice while cranking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys. I will have to explore other options.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is a way to make it work !! I found instructions on the web but don't remember where. Also one of the bodymen at work has an 85 running that way.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I read about it too (I think)...but danged if I can remember where I saw it. I seem to remember it making use of a GM ignition module from an HEI distributor (scary).

I wish I could find the info.....ahhhhh...this is driving me nuts! LOL

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I managed to get it to work. Like discussed earlier it does not advance but the TFI module actually does increases dwell at higher rpm(good thing). The only thing is I can't advance it to far beacuse if it happens to stall hot while racing, i'll never get it started again. I am thinking that maybe i can trick the tfi module with some sort of frequency generator or maybe toggle switch with different voltage applied to retard timing on start up... the late nights continue...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts