Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After pulling the transmission 26 times on my '64 Galaxie because of faulty hydraulic throwout bearings, I decided to call it quits and go with a hydraulic slave cylinder pulling a conventional fork. I pulled the transmission 12 times in one day trying to get the fittings to stop leaking on one of the bearings I had installed. Four other times I was left stranded with no operating clutch.

I have tried hydraulic throwout bearings from Ram, Speedway Motors and Southwest Speed. They have all leaked, and the O-rings have failed in all of them. The installations have all been correct with the correct master cylinder, and a pedal stop to prevent over-stroking the bearing. These bearings are designed for circle track cars where the car is started in one gear and there is no shifting involved. I am convinced that they will not last on the street.

I did not try a Mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing because of the cost, and I would hope that they use a lip style seal or redundant O-rings. After buying three of the cheap bearings, I was at half the cost of the McLeod, so as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Here is one of the three bearings that failed miserably:

You can see the grooves where the O-rings install here:

Here are the blown O-rings. I believe that larger diameter O-rings would solve the problem:

Since I have a '64 galaxie with a 351 Cleveland, there are no headers made that will accomodate manual clutch linkage. I am using headers for a '70 Torino with an automatic transmission hence the need for a hydraulic clutch setup.

I already had the clutch master cylinder mounted and connected to the clutch pedal, so I will skip that part of the installation.

Here is the Speedway Motors "pull" type slave cylinder I will be using:

A bracket was made to bolt to the side of the Borg warner Super T-10 tranny:

A stock Ford fork was modified by "pie cutting" a piece out to bend back the outer most part of the fork for header clearance:

A piece of 1/8" strap was used to reinforce the modified area of the fork:

Here is the installed slave cylinder:

The adjustment is made at the fork with the pull rod:

The completed installation works great, and if there is ever a problem, the slave cylinder is easily serviced.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
F15 - After this much pain and misery - would a cable clutch setup work? I realize that parts would still have to be fabbed up, but seems like it might work (at least it wouldn't leak all over).

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
F15 - After this much pain and misery - would a cable clutch setup work? I realize that parts would still have to be fabbed up, but seems like it might work (at least it wouldn't leak all over).
A cable setup would work without a doubt, but since I already had the clutch M/C installed, the slave cylinder was the easier route. It works great now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts