Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

The CAT is getting a HEART transplant (UPDATED)

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  cadillac512 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a new engine in the Cougar with some changes. Maybe faster may not. Let's see what you think of the combo.
347 cubes with Scat crank and rods, Probe dome pistons, Afr 185's, Scorpion roller rockers, Funnel Web intake, Bigs stage 5 750 and Hooker Super Comp 1 5/8 headers (coated) with race bullets (3"
. A Clay Smith solid flat cam with the following:
Adv. Dur. 306* Dur. @ .050 268*
lift intake and exhaust .575
lobe sep. 108* installed @ +2* The rest of the combo is the same as far as trans and convertor goes. a C4 with a 4500 stall. 4.56 rear gears.
What's it going to do?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: econodrag on 6/12/06 7:15am ]</font>

See less See more
#2 ·
Strokers like FAST acting camshafts. It looks like the one you have chosen is an RPM grind.... as it doesn't really seem to have a lot of lift for that amount of duration. Of course, @ 0.200" and advertised @ 0.006" or whatever they are from Clay Smith, in addition to the @ 0.050" numbers would be required to make a VALID assessment.

Generally speaking, since you are feeding more cubes with the same heads, and your rod ratio has changed..... it helps to get the lift as high as possible, as quickly as possible. Studying the advertised, 0.050" and 0.200" numbers can give an idea of how 'aggressive' the cam is. Comp has lobes that are made for larger diameter FORD lifters. These are quite aggressive, and are the next best thing to a roller.

Of course, your car has always run VERY well for what it is.... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure it will run very well.

1-3/4" headers might be nice with the increased displacement as well. Have you looked up any from Tubular Automotive or Accufab?

http://www.accufabracing.com/exhaust.htm

Good Luck!

#5 ·
I agree, I have never seen a Funnel wed out perform a Vic below 6,500 and if you are going above that you could use more lift and 1 3/4 headers to bettr match. You have done so well with the setup you now have, you will most likely prove me wrong

Good Luck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 392Bird on 5/27/06 3:53am ]</font>

#6 ·
Speaking of intakes.... I haven't heard any good press on the 302 Fullelweb, either. No direct experience, though.

I believe the cam has PLENTY of duration, but could use some more lift, and might not have aggressive enough ramps.

But, as 392Bird has said, you'll probably run good, anyway.

#7 ·
How does the motor know it's a stroker? It doesn't. It's basically the same as a 351C but has a different piston/rod in it.

I think the cam is HUGE for that many cubic inches so it'll need to turn 7000-7500 to peak.

What COMPRESSION is it?

#8 ·
On 2006-05-26 12:32, allenman85 wrote:
How does the motor know it's a stroker? It doesn't. It's basically the same as a 351C but has a different piston/rod in it.
I believe he's running the same heads as he did with the old 306, so those same heads are now going to have to move MORE air than they did before. Lofting the valve as high as possible, as quickly as possible can help move the extra air though the engine.

A 306 has a great rod ratio. The 347 is much lower. With the 347, the piston accelerates away from TDC more quickly (not as much dwell) so getting plenty of valve lift early is a good thing.

I think the cam is HUGE for that many cubic inches so it'll need to turn 7000-7500 to peak.
I thought the same thing about the cam in his 306, but it ran STRONG in his car.

The cam has an extremely long duration, but a very tight lobe seperation angle, which will bring the rpm range down a bit. But, I still belive the ideal shift point will be above 7k rpm.... especially if he upgrades to some larger headers.

What COMPRESSION is it?
Domed pistons in a 347 stroker with AFR 185 heads will provide PLENTY of compression. A person could look up all the volumes, but it's not going to be too low, if that's what is being asked.

In an ideal world with plenty of extra cash, I'd install a fast acting camshaft, ditch the funnelweb and upgrade to some larger headers... but ole' Econodrag seems to do AWFULLY WELL with his car, so we'll see what happens.

Good Luck, and keep us informed!

#9 ·
I just wanted to try the funnel web. I tried it on the 306 and it actually ran about the same et as the victor jr did. I would say less than a tenth of a second difference between the two. If i do not feel the funnel web is getting me to my potential I will switch back to the victor jr. I will be taking it out this weekend for some racing and will let you know what it does even though the weather is going to be crappy. If it just runs what the 306 did I will be happy because I will not have to work the engine as hard as I did the 306. I have seen the telltale show 7800+ rpms before I shifted. Updates are forth comming. So stay tuned.

#10 ·
1 3/4 headers (or even 1 7/8 ). vic jr intake at least. definitely more lift on the cam. it would probably really respond to a solid roller cam. that would really open the valves fast. a roller cam vs a flat tappet with the same specs will always make more power. a moderate roller would really run in that, & wouldnt need the $250 springs. also, u may need a looser converter. with that duration cam you will lose bottom end. might be better with around 258-260 duration.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: igo1090 on 5/27/06 5:19am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: igo1090 on 5/27/06 5:21am ]</font>

#14 ·
Update: Took the car out to the local 1/8 mile for some bracket racing. First pass on the engine the car ran a 7.13 @ 94 and some change. Then the new NAPA mini starter took a crap. After putting a new starter on the car (stock) time trials were over and I just went into dial for dollars blind the car ran a best of a 7.08 @ 95.5 mph. The a/d was 3300ft and we had a 15mph head wind. The track was also not great either. I was shifting @ 6900 rpms which made it shift right at 7100 rpms. The old 306 would have ran in the mid to upper 7.30's or possibly in the 7.40's with todays conditions. I'm sure we still have a little fine tuning to get done. So all in all I pretty satisfied the the engine. And on top of every thing I won the No Electronics class tonight also.

#15 ·
Good job! Great results,especially for a first-time new combination effort. Looks like tens in that setup for sure....it'll be interesting to see the 1/4 mph when you get a chance. I hope you have good results with the funnelweb-sure be nice to see someone proving its mettle. Congrats on the No-E win too....Thats Racin'!

Terry

#16 ·
We will be running 1/4 mile this weekend at Thunder Valley in Nobel,Ok. But I do not hold out much hope for the air conditions up there. It will likley be around 4100ft D/A. I hope it will be better but not expecting it to be good. I will leave an update Sunday night when we get back.

#17 ·
Ok I got some decent 1/4 mile runs on the car after the engine had some break in passes on it.
Was out at Texas Motorplex today and in the first time trial the car ran 10.96 1/4 and a 6.93 1/8 had a 1.48 60 foot time and a 1/4 mph of 121.69. Not bad I think for a run in 3000 ft D/A.

#18 ·
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!
Chalk another one up for a fast Cougar!
Let's see, from what I know.
DRAG CAT = 10.20's, '69 Cougar
Doug B = 10.60's, '68 with 514 BB
EconoDrag, 10.96, SB, ultra lite car

Me!, 11.24, 418W, Street car

Sound right?

See what's up at FlowMotion

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: allenman85 on 6/12/06 12:23pm ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.