Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Experts,
I am on the hunt for a 390 to install in my 67 Ranchero. I have come across one in a 67 Fairlane, but the owner is uncertain of it's history or authenticity.

My question is:
What specific stamping numbers should I be looking for to verify that it is an original 335HP 390 for a 66/67 Fairlane? Where should I look for these numbers? I won't have the option to disassemble the motor to find this info, so it will have to be numbers I can find fairly easily. I can remove the valve covers to look at the stampings on the heads. Please educate me on any and all numbers I should look for to help ID this motor. Someone did tell me that the bolt pattern on the stock exhaust manifolds were different on a Fairlane/Cougar/Mustang 390 as opposed to a 390 out of a different car. If this is an accurate method to ID the engine, please let me know.

I am a novice at engine identification, so any help you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Look for the Casting #'s under the right head about 1/2 way between the head gasket and the oil pan gasket.

You need to see something like C7ME-A or something to that effect. Let us know what's there and we can tell you more.

FE

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
well if the original VC's and dipstick are still on it they should be chrome.thats all i know.I still have a pair of the VC's

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
We need his casting #'s or date codes from the heads... That'll fool most if he's got '67 heads...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Quite a few of the 390 engines which came in standard Fairlanes of 1966 and 1967 that had an auto trans were of 315 H.P. Not the 335 or 345 HP as of the G.T. cars. I think this was same with Mustangs. And the hotter engine had a dual inlet Holley as standard.

Underneath coil bracket ought to be engine code tag if the engine has not been rebuilt or some previous owner threw it away.

Wm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts