Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way back home today, and I started to hear my valve train chatter. I was confused because it id hydrolic, then something in my head says OH **** and I look at my oil pressure gauge and it is at zero. I know I should have stopped right there, but home was 2 blocks away so I cruised and stopped. No oil leaks and oil level is good. I didn't hear and toasted bearing noises so I don't think I killed the bottom end. My question is what to look for. How often do the oil pump driveshafts break and is it possible for an oil pump to fail or the pickup to fall off? I just want somewhere to start because it looks like it would be a real pain in the ass if I had to drop the pan. Can you do it with out taking out the motor mounts and lifting the engine a little bit?
I really love my car, I just spend $1500 in parts to make it faster and it repays me with this. Oh well, its still better than a Honda.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Bummer!
I'm afraid you'd better pull the pan and have a look see. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just something simple like a pick-up. Sounds like pump failure at the minimum, though.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
if it was me, first thing I'd do is pull the distrubutor and look down there to see if the oil pump drive is broken. I've had several of them twist, most of the time, they end up looking like a piece of neatly-twisted decorative wrought iron. I think the bearings should be checked anyway, due to the fact that you kept on driving.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would you check bearings? Just pop off a main cap and see if its trashed? If not is it OK to just put it back. Either way I don't have the money to rebuild it. Can you just do bearings without grinding the crank? I forgot how much was taken off with the last rebuild, but I could use a pair of calipers and find out. What about the cam? I know its pretty much impossible to check the bearings but they would have a better chance of surviving because it spins 1/2 speed and doesn't have as much work to do, right?
This sucks
Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you've used any locktight and got it in the engine oil it will collect in and seize the oil pump.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Either way you'll have to drop the pan because theres a little collar on the drive shaft that keeps you from pulling it out when you pull out the distributor.the only way to get it out is to drop the oil pump and then it will come out with the pump.If it is all twisted up you might be able to get it out through the top.If you can get it out i'd try replacing it and see how your oil pressure is.If it is the same as before maybe you got lucky.If its a big dollar motor though I'd take a look inside.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not to mention old style rubber valve seals...peanutbrittle after a few years. Ive found a handful in my oil pan with a steel, oil flavored twizler...ONCE!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is no where near a big dollar motor, just a summit rebuild kit w/ hypereutectics, and it is 7 years old with 150K miles on it. I just want to make it until this summer so I can put my 351 in.
Thanks for all of the quick replies.
Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Do you have a mech. guage or the stock one? I had the spring in the oil pump break once, right after a rebuild. It had almost zero at idle but would go up to about 5 psi at about 1500 to 2000. I drove it very slowly for a long way, just to get home. The bearings were not perfect anymore, but not too bad. The crank cleaned up real easy. I ended up pulling the engine and removed the crank without removing the pistons and rods. The engine is still together after about 15 years. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts