Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Re: '72 Ford Galaxie 500 - 4th owner

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride.

I was just looking at the clunker thing and did you know that if it's over 25 yrs old it's not a clunker? That's right folks, if it's older than 25 yrs they won't takem on the cash for clunkers program! lol

So when someone tries to tell you it's a clunker you just tell them nope, even the government doesn't see it as such! ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought my 62 500 XL from my uncle who bought it new in Laurel Montana. He bought it so late in the year that they couldn't guarantee him a 62. When I changed the tranny filter on the outside of the pan June 6, 1962 is stamped. I'm assuming that was the manufacturing date of the tranny.

Bobg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm the third owner of my 1970 XL. I bought it Jan. of '00 (hurray! no Y2K!) in Kirkland, WA. from a fella moving back east who didn't want to tow it. He bought it 15 years or so before that from the original owner.

The original owner purchased it in Glendale, AZ from Sanderson Ford (I know because the dealer sticker is still on the rear bumper, faded but there). He got with 4-wheel manual(!!!!) drums, A/C, column shifter and a bench seat. I have yet to run into another XL with a bench, column shifter and manual drums. The story I got from the 2nd owner was he was real comfortable with the new fangled discs. =D

PS I've long since switched the manual drums to power. Whew.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I wish I had this kind of info for mine, but alas I do not.

What I do know (at least what I've been told) is that my 65 lived in California its whole life. The previous owner to me he was the 2nd owner, making me the third. He bought it from the original owner in mid 2009, shipped it out to Australia in October 2009 and had it complianced for use on Australian roads in December 2009. And there it sat in his garage, clocking up 200 miles in 2010 until I bought it. I've done nearly 500 in it already. :)

I wish you could get Marti reports for these cars, but apparently not. Maybe one day I'll find a build sheet under the seat or in the door, but I won't hold my breath...

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 1963 convertible was purchased without history, so I'm creating my own with the restoration...documenting it well for some future owner. Also, I've found an ancient beer bottle under the driver's side convertible top mechanism, along with what might be a drive-in movie ticket stub to a theater in Washington state.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I bought my car from a car dealership/owner. I bought it from a guy that lives by my house he owns a used car lot. He told me that he took it on a trade in with some cash for a F450 truck. He said that the guy told him that the car was from Hawaii. He said that a sailor bought it and drove it while he was stationed there then Uncle Sam shipped it back to the states when he was stationed back to the states. He said that was the reason that the guy who he bought the car from said that the car was heater delete and a 6 cly. Heater delete because there was no need for a heater in Hawaii and 6 cly because in the 60's gas was more expensive in Hawaii because it had to be shipped in.
I really don't know and wish I could find out who the first owner was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my 66 a few months back from the estate of the org. owner.
The guy quit driving it about 8-9 years ago and it sat parked out in his drive ever since. After he passed a the son of the trustee tried to start it by installing a battery and fresh gas but it would not start, so I got a good deal on it. After I got it home I shot oil in the cylinders and cleaned the carb, new points plugs wires etc. and she fired right up, But I have very low oil pressure :( I kinda think the bearing might have been scared from improper restart procedures. So I found a 429 thunderjet to drop in it. Now just waiting for $$ to drop it in. here is a short you tube vid on it....YouTube - 1966 galaxie

·
Registered
645 Posts
thats cool!
Here is an old weathered picture of me and my sister next to the car when we were kids. I'm 52 now. I probably won't have the restoration done in time to be able to pick up my oldest grandson from kindergarten in it, but I should have it done by the time he is in first grade.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I'm a noob here, joined the forum yesterday. Got my Galaxie about a month ago. I'm now working my way through the forum pages.
The car was purchased by C A Vance 21st Nov 1964 from S&C Motors San Francisco.
I have the owners manual in its original sleeve, and a pile of receipts and registration slips from the '90s. The car stayed in California till 2000 when it was sold and went to Ohio.
Its been in Oz for a couple of years, and I bought it off the guy who imported it.
I am lucky to have so much documentation, and grateful to those owners before me who have preserved the car and its history.
Mike.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Mike, tell me more about your 64, I might even have record of it as I have a Registery documenting every 64 in Austalia.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mine is a 1963 500 2dr post. I was with my grandmother when she picked it up brand new from Van Cleve Ford in Eatonville, Wa.
I bought the car from her in 1974 for $25.00. I bracket raced the car at Puyallup Raceway in 1975 just before the track closed. It's extremely rough now but making a come back.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The first owner of my !963 Ford Galaxie500 boxtop was Comissioner" Buddy Pollard " of Shephard, Tx. His son inlaw baught it from the estate.. I baught it from the son inlaw ..BEST 150.00 I ever spent back on May5, 2010. The car hadn't been registered in 13 yrs . But being a small town he did drive it around ,EXCEPT the last 10 yrs...

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Our 67XL was bought new by my wife's grandfather in western Oklahoma. It was mfg. in Dallas, My wife's father bought the car from his dad for her high school graduation present. She drove it to Texas Tech in the fall of '69 where I met her. We dated in this car as my '61 Sunbeam Alpine kept breaking down(BTW she helped me buy the Sunbeam, she was a keeper). When we were married in '73 it was our main car till 1980. It set in my FNL's barn for all these years with him driving it some through the early 90s. I decided I better rescue it in Feb. and it is running pretty good.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts