Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine is a big source of pride... my father is the original owner of his '66 500XL which was his first new car. He owned it for a year, got called in to serve in Korea and my Grandfather took ownership of it. After my Grandfather passed my grandmother used the car until she passed in 1993. She was always the cool grandmother because she had the cool two door car! My father and I drove 3 hours to NJ to get the car a few months before she passed and we drove it 3 hours home. The car has 66k miles on it, got a new frame and restored body about 5 years ago. Now I am working on rebuilding the motor. About a year ago my father got to drive his first new car again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
After reading these great stories I have to tell mine. Grandpa bought his car new in 64. Back then it was customary, at least in our family, that when you got a new car you would go load up your family and friends and take them for a drive and that's what he did. I was sitting in my Grandma's lap enjoying the inaugural ride like any 4 yr. old would and at some time during the ride, to my grandparent's amazement and my parent's horror, I bit the dash. As the years went by, the story has gotten funnier, the redness on my butt has faded away, but my teeth marks are still right there on the dash for all to see! This car has never been wrecked, unless you count the time my Grandma drove it thru the back wall of the concrete block garage and into the creek behind the garage. The car was driven until 3 days before Grandpa died in 06, it sat in the garage for 3 yrs before I pulled it out and started driving it again. I rebuilt the eng. and trans. last winter and as time and money allow I intend on keeping this car and it's history / story going. I could go and on with stories of "Floyd and his car" but this isn't suposed to be book! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought my 62 500XL from my uncle who purchased it new. I have the window sticker and every service sheet that was done on the car. I remember riding on the console between the front seats when I was 5 or 6. Too bad my grandson can't ride there like I did.

Bobg

·
Registered
645 Posts
I could go and on with stories of "Floyd and his car" but this isn't suposed to be book! Thanks
Awsome story. Hey, I'd buy the book. Keep the stories coming. I've got a lot of stories about my grandfather's 62 Galaxie too. As soon as I finish restoring it, I will be making new stories for my two grandsons to tell to their friends when they get old like me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got my 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 two door sedan , in summer of 08 , I worked & saved up all summer for my Maverick. I was almost finished with the 72; then my dad & best friend told me about a Galaxie an acquaintance was selling at the time. I then went over & made an offer on the car. 2 weeks later I got a call from my buddy Mr .H . & I bought the galaxie. To this day Mr.H & I are great friends I only did not just buy my dream car I gained a great friendship.'
My friend Mr.H was the 2nd owner of the 63. He was given the 63 after returning from Vietnam. From his stepfather whom bought the car Brand New in Glendale ,Ca from California Motors. The 63 still has one dealer frame the other was broken in a rear ender year ago. The 63 was unique then and now. there was not many from what people & loveford have told me. The 63 was my High School Car & I would always get looks & fellow classmates would always tell me they could hear the 63 2 blocks away & they knew when I was coming..today the 63 has been put away since High school , & i am saving up for new brakes ,new interior and eventually body and paint. here are some other pics .. from when i just picked up the 63.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/DSCF0015.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/DSCF0016.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/DSCF0017.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/carpics003.jpg

High school era-
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/carpics43076-1.jpg

my dads 69( pre paint job)& the 63
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/carpics4032.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/carpics4095.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/90camry5speed/1963 ford galaxie 500 two door sedan/carpics43069.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Mine is a big source of pride... my father is the original owner of his '66 500XL which was his first new car. He owned it for a year, got called in to serve in Korea and my Grandfather took ownership of it. After my Grandfather passed my grandmother used the car until she passed in 1993. She was always the cool grandmother because she had the cool two door car! My father and I drove 3 hours to NJ to get the car a few months before she passed and we drove it 3 hours home. The car has 66k miles on it, got a new frame and restored body about 5 years ago. Now I am working on rebuilding the motor. About a year ago my father got to drive his first new car again!

After reading these great stories I have to tell mine. Grandpa bought his car new in 64. Back then it was customary, at least in our family, that when you got a new car you would go load up your family and friends and take them for a drive and that's what he did. I was sitting in my Grandma's lap enjoying the inaugural ride like any 4 yr. old would and at some time during the ride, to my grandparent's amazement and my parent's horror, I bit the dash. As the years went by, the story has gotten funnier, the redness on my butt has faded away, but my teeth marks are still right there on the dash for all to see! This car has never been wrecked, unless you count the time my Grandma drove it thru the back wall of the concrete block garage and into the creek behind the garage. The car was driven until 3 days before Grandpa died in 06, it sat in the garage for 3 yrs before I pulled it out and started driving it again. I rebuilt the eng. and trans. last winter and as time and money allow I intend on keeping this car and it's history / story going. I could go and on with stories of "Floyd and his car" but this isn't suposed to be book! Thanks
stories like these are awesome... bite marks in the dash are still there :) Somewhere out there is a 66 charger that a 5 yr old decided doing the twist on a fig newton in the carpet would be funny...boy do I remember Mom pulling the car over and tanning my hyde :)
sometimes I think everyone with a treasured old car- even a newer one- should write up a little history journal to keep in the glovebox for future owners. none of us will last forever, but some of these cars will likely outlast us... hopefully the next owner will appreciate a little 'family tree' info- they are just cars, but think about all the good/bad/funny stuff theyve added to our lives- they are a big part of it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I was with my grandmother in 1963 when she purchased a 1963 Galaxie 500 2dr post 260/automatic from Van Cleve Ford in Morton, Washington.
I remember the new car smell in it.

I bought the car from her in 1975.
In 1975 I put a 1969 290hp 351W in it and bracket raced it several times at Puyallup drag strip (Thun Field)

Currently I'm working on converting it to a 428/toploader.

MC4

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe I'm the 3rd or 4th owner of mine. Got a ton of receipts from the guy I bought mine from including the registration cards from late '65 to 1980. Tons of old hand typed receipts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My story is a little different...usually it is the father that passes down the car to son, but in my case it was the opposite.

My 66 Galaxie fastback was purchased on October 29, 1965 at Universal Ford in Richmond, Va. by James and Katherine Drinard. A rare option on the car was Curb Feelers, so either they stunk at parking or they were getting ready for the "Pimp" look of the 70's that were soon to come!! They traded in a 65 Ford sedan and only got $702 for it...the 66 cost $3,800!!

I picked up the car at the age of 24 in August 1991 from a local used car lot in Richmond. The owner indicated that he had recently aquired the car from the son of the original owners. The father had long passed and his mother could no longer drive. I have to assume he is telling the truth with this story, but I don't know for sure.

I drove the car until May 1993. I was getting married and needed $$$ and my dad needed a 2-door car he could get in and out easily as he had just had both hips replaced. I sold him the car for a fair price and he drove the car until late 1997 until his death. He loved the car, but he always complained about people waiting for him in the parking lot of the supermarket asking if the car was for sale...I told him he was full of it, because I know he loved the attention!! He kept it garaged and only drove it 2-3K per year max.

I aquired the car after his death and drove the car on weekends until 2008 when I let it sit for too long and bad gas gummed up the carb. There was some rust developing and the paint was fading, so I kind of put on the back burner as other life events...aka....two young girls..took priority. Finally last year my wife indicated that we needed to do something with the car as it was sitting in the street in front of my house wasting away. I told her that I just couldn't sell it due to the family history and that it was my baby. She said then I needed to get it restored....I had a tow truck pick it up the next day and take it to the restoration shop before she could change her mind!!

The mechanical restoration is done (Took WAY too long, but that is another story), and she should be out of the body shop next month. I will post pics when she is finally done. With the exception of the Magnum 500 wheels, she will be just like the day she was sold on 10/29/65!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm the 3rd owner of my '65 Galaxie XL convertible. The original owner was Tom Skeriotis of Ambridge, PA where the car was purchased at **** Hunt Ford. I drove the '65 from Connecticut to the Woodward Cruise in 2010 with my neighbor Joe. On the way back home we stopped in Ambridge, PA at the Ford dealers location 2615 Duss Ave. I've attached a picture of my car in front of the old show room. This was on my bucket list! Hope I can attach the picture OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
My dad. I went with hm to the downtown garage of Woody Sander Ford in Cincinnati end of July 1963 to take delivery. The sales guy picked us up in his white Fairlane. I remember being disappointed when my dad quickly took off the window sticker, but he kept it, along with the bank note and they're framed together now.

My brother and I learned to drive in it and my son and I drove it home to California this summer when my dad decided it was time to pass it on. I'm a lucky guy.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
the earliest pic Ive got of Ben with his galaxie- this was the day we pushed it out of his garage on its unpowered trip to our house next door...
his older brother Don is on the right- still fiesty as heck, just talked to him last night...he is 86.

a couple weeks later he took it for a short drive(after brakes/carb) then it sat for another year before we pulled the body off...

hard to believe its going on ten years this september...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just found this ancient thread whilst searching a different topic; I purchased my63 1/2 hardtop from the original owner a couple of years ago but will have to look up his info later as we're heading out to dinner.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 1966 LTD Q code 4 door hardtop was originally owned by a Mr Frank O King from Florida. He was the author of the Gasoline Alley comic strip. Although he passed away in 1969, the car stayed in his family until about 2000. It was then sold to someone in California before it was exported to Australia in about 2008 by a dealer. He sold it to the person I bought the car from in 2015.

·
Registered
112 Posts
30 July 1963, the salesman that sold my dad the ride in my sig came to our house to take him, my little brother and me to the downtown garage of Woody Sander Ford in Cincinnati to take delivery. One memory that sticks was my that my dad reached back and took down the factory sticker on the way home, disappointing me that we'd not easily "show off" that it was new. I also remember the salesman drove a white Fairlane.

Dad taught me tor drive in it; the first time on a Sunday afternoon in the parking lot of my elementary school when I was 11. Unless he needed it, I drove it to high school.

8 years ago last June, he turned it over to me. My son and I drove it home to California from Minnesota.

When he flew last year to attend the wedding of his grandson, he teared up when I used it to meet him at the airport. I had hoped to press him into service that week to redo the deck lid weatherstrip, but we ran out of time.

And, the window sticker? It made the trip in 2011, framed along with the 3 year loan note.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts