Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1861 - 1871 of 1871 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Hey All,
Well, Lorrie Van Haul has a BIG problem!

Gear Oil leaking from the Right Rear Wheel.

That's where the NEW Seal was installed some time back.

She started growling during the last trip to Livingston, but she really got to growling bad today after about three miles, and so we got home, and she was put up on the Jack Stands.

While jacking up the Rear Axle, the Gear Oil leaking was evident.

Once up on the Jack Stands, her wheels were turned by hand, and they seem smooth enough, so started Lorrie's Mighty Slant Six Engine and put the Transmission in Drive and the growl was clearly evident. It is NOT the Tire Tread.

Shut her down and checked the Differential Lubricant Level. It was about a pint low. Filled it up till the Gear Oil was coming out of the Filler Hole.

Got her down off of the Jack Stands and took her for a test drive. There was still a bit of growling, but it was not nearly as bad as it was before putting the Gear Oil in the Differential.

Anyway, it looks as though Lorrie is going to have to have her Right Rear Wheel Seal replaced again, and it could be that the Bearing MIGHT also be fritzed.

Won't know till we get to it. In the meantime, am going to make sure she has Gear Lubricant, and am going to drive her as little as possible.

"It's always something!" (Roseanna Danna Danna)

JC

I am sorry JC, but I must insist that you drive her not over 40 MPH.

You are in need of a New Ring and Pinion set...

·
Registered
576 Posts
And what brought you to THAT conclusion???? Yer gonna throw Mr. JC into full blown panic mode. Rear ends whine...bearings make a growling or rumblings sound in my experiance.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,863
sorry JC... I'll try to describe better:
in the ford 8.8 rearend, there is a heavy outer bearing ring (with a cage of rollers inside) pressed in the axle tube (with a separate outboard seal) but unlike most 'real' bearings, there is no inner ring for the rollers to ride on- the rollers run directly on the axle shaft...after 140k miles, mine were both grooved into the axles enough there was a lot of clearance and the movement was making the seals leak.
Hey Tim,
That is NOT the setup on Lorrie's Rear Axle. It has a closed Bearing that is pressed on the Axle, held in position by a collar that a tight press fit.

the repair style bearing uses a wider outer ring with integral seal- it presses in like the original, but is as wide as the old bearing PLUS the seal, and the integral seal is much narrower, allowing the rolling elements to be moved outboard so the inner edge of the rollers ends up slightly outboard of the old groove worn into the axle- effectively giving your bearing a 'new' surface to run on without replacing...
Alright. This is NOT the fix that is going to have to be made.

hope this clears it up. Tim
Yes it does. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Have been spending this week doing repair work on the Scorcher and Screamer Computers. Have the Scorcher back up and running, and am going to get the Screamer back up and running, but they both have a problem in that they are running Windows 2000 Professional, and no one is supporting that Operating System anymore. There are no anti-virus programs, and even Microsoft has terminated support, so neither the Scorcher or the Screamer will be Internet machines.

The Scorcher is a sixteen channel Music Studio, and the Screamer will be basically a word processor.

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish up the work on the computers and then will deal with Lorrie's Rear Axle problem. My psychological/attitudinal demeanor seems to be good. Am making good progress with the computers which is gratifying, and have been feeling very good physically, so there isn't any despair in this situation.

Lorrie still drives, but she only goes to the store and back which is about a 7 mile round trip and all done under 30 mph. Was told the other day that she has no brake lights, so will have to fix that too.

Anyway, thanks for the response and explanation. It is VERY much appreciated.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,864
I am sorry JC,
Hey Gary,
Oh, don't be... Everything is going to be alright.

but I must insist that you drive her not over 40 MPH.
She is seldom driven over 40 MPH. More like 25 MPH around town here.

You are in need of a New Ring and Pinion set...
Don't think that THAT is the problem. Remember, Lorrie has a "Sure Grip" (that's the Mopar name for a limited slip) Differential. Am thinking that the REAL problem is that when the NEW Seal was installed, it got pushed in too far, and where the Axle Shaft came through it was not machined smooth and the rough part of the Axle wore out the Seal. Became aware of that possibility AFTER having finished the changing of the Seal. Am thinking the growling was because of the low lubrication level.

But whatever it takes to fix the situation is what will be done. Attitude is good, and this isn't something that cannot be done. Will keep you updated.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,865
And what brought you to THAT conclusion???? Yer gonna throw Mr. JC into full blown panic mode. Rear ends whine...bearings make a growling or rumblings sound in my experience.
Hey Mr. B&F,
This growling and rumbling was not apparent until the last trip to Livingston (30 mile round trip). Since then Lorrie has made three 7 mile round trips to town. She doesn't seem to be acting any kind of strange. The only symptom is the sound that she is making.

Anyway, am going to be finishing up the work on the computers, and then will address Lorrie's problem. Fortunately, this is apparently a problem that I can handle, and the parts are not all THAT expensive.

Will keep you all updated.

JC

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Sorry JC, but in my experience, once the rear get's noisy from lack of oil, they stay noisy because the gears aren't mated properly anymore.

The Noise is Friction, Friction in a rear end is bad where there was considerable less friction in the hours before driving with low oil.

Of course, LVH could go another 100,000 miles with that little bit of noise.... One never knows.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,867
Sorry JC, but in my experience, once the rear get's noisy from lack of oil, they stay noisy because the gears aren't mated properly anymore.
Hey Gary,
The Ring and Pinion never did lack Gear Oil. They were still running in lubricant. They never did run without Lubricant. The amount of Gear Oil that went into the Rear Axle was mostly filling the out to the Seals.

The Noise is Friction, Friction in a rear end is bad where there was considerable less friction in the hours before driving with low oil.
We will just have to see how it goes. Went out this morning, and there's no evidence of a leak like there was last evening.

Of course, LVH could go another 100,000 miles with that little bit of noise.... One never knows.
As you know, both Lorrie and Ms. American are driven VERY easily. And there is little to no growling from Lorrie's Rear Axle till about 20 MPH, and then it starts. It was first noted coming back from Livingston last week. And when Lorrie got to 40 MPH the growling would stop. So it's only happening between 20 to 40 MPH.

The noise actually seems to be the inner Fender Covers vibrating. With the Rear Axle up on Jack Stands, the Engine running and the Transmission in Drive, I pressed my ear on the Fender Cover and it was buzzing.

Am going to put the Rear Axle up on the Jack Stands and remove the Right Rear Tire, and Brake Drum and see from whence the lubricant is seeping. It shouldn't be seeping ANY Lubricant because there is a Gasket involved. But the fact that there is Lubricant seeping means that the Seal that was installed some time back is letting the Gear Oil past it. And you see, it was because there was Lubricant seeping prior to THAT, was the reason that the Seal was replaced. So this is nothing NEW for Lorrie.

Also, there is an adjustment factor involved. It is quite complex, and has to do with the Axle Shafts getting longer when they heat up. When they heat up and get longer, it presses the Rollers in the Bearings harder against the Race in which they run. It MAY be that THAT adjustment is either too loose or has been too tight and the growling is the Bearing complaining.

Will let you know what is found.

JC

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
s you know, both Lorrie and Ms. American are driven VERY easily. And there is little to no growling from Lorrie's Rear Axle till about 20 MPH, and then it starts. It was first noted coming back from Livingston last week. And when Lorrie got to 40 MPH the growling would stop. So it's only happening between 20 to 40 MPH.
It is with much relief that I read this. WHEW! OK, Speed noise from inner fenders makes more sense. I'd not want you to have to do some rear end work on her.

Also, there is an adjustment factor involved. It is quite complex, and has to do with the Axle Shafts getting longer when they heat up. When they heat up and get longer, it presses the Rollers in the Bearings harder against the Race in which they run. It MAY be that THAT adjustment is either too loose or has been too tight and the growling is the Bearing complaining.
Naaaah, that' snot it I'm sure unless the inner seal is working on a precipice that's only a few thousandths of an inch wide... LOL... You can go with a new seal and simply not drive it in as far as the old one and have a new surface for leak free service for another 15 or 20 years.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,869
It is with much relief that I read this. WHEW!
Hey Gary,
Went out this morning and there was no Gear Oil leak stain on the pavement. At 10:00 a.m. drove Lorrie to the computer shop where The Scorcher and the Screamer are being renovated, and worked there till 4:00 p.m. Came out and there was a 12" circle of Gear Oil at the Right Rear Tire. So the leak has something to do with where the Axle is positioned. It doesn't leak all the time.

OK, Speed noise from inner fenders makes more sense.
But there HAS to be something that is causing the vibrations in the Fender Covers.

I'd not want you to have to do some rear end work on her.
Well, I don't think it has anything to do with the Ring&Pinion. Maybe the Bearings, and most certainly the Right Side Seal.

Naaaah, that' snot it I'm sure unless the inner seal is working on a precipice that's only a few thousandths of an inch wide... LOL... You can go with a new seal and simply not drive it in as far as the old one and have a new surface for leak free service for another 15 or 20 years.
Yes. But the Axle has to come out in order to get the Seal IN. And will check the Bearing when it comes time.

It's starting to thunderstorm here, so am going to get off the electrical grid with the computer.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,870
Hey All
Went out this morning at 7:00 a.m. to fix Lorrie Van Haul's lack of Brake Lights.

Unhooked the Negative Cable from the Battery.

Took the Engine Cabinetry out from behind and to the right of Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six Engine.

Took out the Removable Floor to get access to the Brake Light Switch.

Removed the Wires from the Switch and stuck a spread out Cotter Pin between them to see if the Tail Lights were working. They were fine.

Removed the Brake Light Switch and checked it with the Radio Shack Multi-Tester. It was fine!

Reconnected the Wire without reinstalling the Brake Switch, and STILL no Brake Lights.

Used an Emory Board to CLEAN the Male Spade Terminals on the Switch and put some Dielectric Silicone on the Male Spade Terminals.

Cut the Emory Board to a width that would fit into the Female Spade Connectors, to clean the insides of the Female Spade Connectors.

Then they were fastened to the Brake Switch Male Spade Terminals.

VOILA' the Brake Lights worked just fine. The problem was that the Wires were not making a GOOD connection to the Brake Switch. It's always something.

Reinstalled the Brake Switch into its Bracket, and connected the Wires.

Adjusted the Part that fastens to the Brake Pedal Lever so that it closes the Brake Switch when the Brake Pedal is at rest, and once again Lorrie's Brake Lights are again functioning properly.

Then it was on to the problem of the Horn not honking properly.

There are two Horns. One is a HIGH tone, and one is a LOW tone.

The LOW tone Horn had become intermittent. It would honk at times, and then it wouldn't honk.

Checked the Wiring, and it seems to be fine.

Checked the Fuse. It was fine.

So what in the heck is wrong?

Tapped on the LOW tone Horn and it started working again!

Makes me want to go "Hmmmmm!"

Anyway, after all that effort, am taking a break. Am going to go out in after a bit and reinstall the Removable Floor, and Engine Cabinetry.

The next thing that Lorrie NEEDS is to replace the leaking Right Rear Axle Seal.

Till THAT gets done, all that is happening is that the Lubricant in the Differential is being watched carefully, and topped off if it needs it.

Anyway, all in all, Lorrie is doing just fine.

Hope you all are having a GREAT Memorial Day Weekend.

JC

1861 - 1871 of 1871 Posts