Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
561 - 580 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
Hey All,
Thursday, June 23, 2016, Morning Update:

WOOHOO! MS. AMERICAN SEEMS AS HAPPY AS A CLAM IN SALTWATER!

Removed the 4100's Hot Idle Screw Spring.
Went through the start-up routine.
The 3.14 fired up without hesitation.
She is still a little tempermental about warming up without attention.
But before she got to 100 degrees, she was on her own.
Checked to see if everything was as it was when it was last running.
Damper was at 16,
Vacuum was at 13,
RPMs were at 750.

Started turning the Hot Idle Screw IN to increase the RPMs. Without the Spring, it could be done by hand. Below is what we saw:

800 - 13.0 - 16 BTDC
900 - 13.0" - 16
1,000 - 13.2 - 20
1,200 - 14.8 - 21.5
1,400 - 15.0 - 22
1,500 - 15.6 - 22.5
1,600 - 16.0 - 22.5
1,700 - 17.0 - 26
1,800 - 17.5 - 29
2,000 - 18.0 - 30
2,200 - 18.0 - 32
2,500 - 18.0 - 32

Above 2,500, nothing more changed.

Turned the Hot Idle Screw back down to 750 RPM, Vacuum went to 13. Damper was at 16.

The slightest turn on the Idle Mixture Screws either way resulted in Vacuum and RPMs dropping. Put everything back where it had been, and all was fine again.

Shut the 3.14 down, plugged the Vacuum Fitting on the Intake Manifold, and hooked the Vacuum Gauge to the Vacuum Line FROM the 4100. Restarted the 3.14, and got a reading on the Vacuum Gauge of 9".

Shut the 3.14 down and connected the Vacuum Line FROM the 4100 TO the Vacuum Advance Canister. Restarted the 3.14, and the RPMs were 750+, Damper was 24.

The 3.14 was running VERY Smoothly with the Vacuum Line connected.

Revved the 3.14 to 3,000 RPM and saw about 46 BTDC. Blipped the Throttle Linkage to 4,000 RPM, and saw right at 50 BTDC.

Let it idle back down to 750, and without looking at the Sun Tachometer, went above 4,000 (by the sound) just for an instant, and the Damper went just ABOVE 50 BTDC, but no more.

The 3.14 sounds STRONG! Every restart was easy. Didn't even have to get in. Just reached in and Keyed the Starter. Fired RIGHT UP every time. But it's NOT like Lorrie. Lorrie starts VERY gently. The 3.14 starts VERY aggressively.

Am going to let everything cool, and then will take all the Diagnostic Equipment off. Then go for a test drive on the Street in front of the house. It's about 3/8 of a mile from end to end. It's a dead end, cul de sac, and paved except right at the turn around. Can drive up and down there without getting a ticket because the county mounties don't come here unless someone calls them.

NOW... About the Vacuum Gauge on the Vacuum Line FROM the 4100 reading 9" at 750 RPM: It is my understanding that we can open the Secondary Throttle Plate Shaft Adjustment Lever Screw to maintain the 750 RPM Idle, while turning the Hot Idle Screw down to lessen the Vacuum to the Vacuum Advance Canister which will put the Damper DOWN from 24 TO 16 at 750 RPM.

Is this correct?

If it is, then want to do that sometime today, or if it gets too warm to be out, will do it tomorrow morning.

But, the impending thing at this point is the removal of the Diagnostic Equipment and taking a test drive.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Cool JC,
hope everything goes swimmingly today :)

we got another 'test drive' of our own today- leaving Colorado, headed back home 1500 miles...spent a week out here visiting Dad at nursing home a couple times a day, one of those trips where leaving is harder than usual as he has really degraded this past year...might need to do some weekend flights to get back out this year, the road trip is a real time killer...
actually looked at the map yesterday, but found a detour thru onalaska woulda been a bit too far to swing- like another thousand miles- Texas is huge, and didnt realize you were that far south- no wonder the heat/humidity is so high...so guess you wont get any surprise visitors this week... maybe next year if we do Arizona again :)

NOW... About the Vacuum Gauge on the Vacuum Line FROM the 4100 reading 9" at 750 RPM: It is my understanding that we can open the Secondary Throttle Plate Shaft Adjustment Lever Screw to maintain the 750 RPM Idle, while turning the Hot Idle Screw down to lessen the Vacuum to the Vacuum Advance Canister which will put the Damper DOWN from 24 TO 16 at 750 RPM.

Is this correct?
thats exactly as i understand it too- i'd never thought about 'moving' the vacuum port timing in this way, but it makes a lot of good sense- this thread has been a very good read :)

Anyways, hope Ms American is in a good mood today, and the next (and hopefully less intensive labor wise) capers can get started- I remember years ago, you commenting on Greg Donahue (i think) offering to restore her for 30k or something- keep this stuff up and she'll be better than new on your own :)

the results you have achieved so far are really inspiring- a lot of neat commentary/suggestions/educational threads for sure- perhaps someday you can do a road trip to Gary's for a paint job... I can just about picture 'the great Ms American install air conditioning, add trailer hitch for kitty trailer, and 2000 mile road trip caper' wouldnt that be a hoot! heheh :)

hope you have a great day-
tim

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
TOO COOL JC!!:grin2:.
Hey Mr. MJ.
You doing all right? Oh, if only it was cool! :) Everything would be so much easier.

BUT, the good news is: I seem to be making the adjustment to the warmer weather quite well. Have noticed that the T-Shirts are not getting as wet as they were a week or so ago. Am hoping for a mild Summer.

It looks like everything is finally coming together for ya!!:tup::tup:
Have to agree. Ms. American is happier right now than she has been in a long time. When she is happier, I am happier. :)

Am going to have something to eat, and then go for a test drive.

Will let you know how it goes.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 · (Edited)
Cool JC, hope everything goes swimmingly today :)
Hey Tim,
Well, everything WAS going swimmingly until---.

we got another 'test drive' of our own today- leaving Colorado, headed back home 1500 miles...spent a week out here visiting Dad at nursing home a couple times a day, one of those trips where leaving is harder than usual as he has really degraded this past year...might need to do some weekend flights to get back out this year, the road trip is a real time killer...
Know what you mean. But, it's been so long since having gone anywhere, it's not like it used to be. Used to just love to go driving. In fact, when I was just a little kid, one of the things that my mom&dad used to say was: "Let's go for a ride!" We were living in Torrence, California, and we'd go for a ride into LosAngeles. we'd get ice cream, and go park on the a street, eat ice cream and watch the strange people who were out in the evening.

We one time parked in front of a clothing store that had a lingerie display in the window, and we no sooner than got there than a little puppy appeared in the display, and had a ball ransacking the nylon stocking&petticoats! Must have sat there for an hour watching the little puppy destroy a whole window display of "unmentionables" as my mother termed them!

That pass time didn't last long though because something NEW came along called "Drive-In Theater". Instead of "Let's go for a ride!", it became "Let's go to a movie!".

actually looked at the map yesterday, but found a detour thru onalaska woulda been a bit too far to swing- like another thousand miles-
Yes, it WOULD be a little out of the way!

Texas is huge,
There's a sign on I10 just West of the Louisiana Border that says: "We've driven from sunrise to sunset, and here we are in Texas yet!"

and didnt realize you were that far south- no wonder the heat/humidity is so high...
The humidity is because of two BIG factors. There's the moisture that comes up off of the Gulf of Mexico, and then there the "respiration" from the trees in the forest. It's as damp here, as it is dry where Ms. DXL is.

so guess you wont get any surprise visitors this week... maybe next year if we do Arizona again :)
Well, it would be GREAT to meet YOU in person.

thats exactly as i understand it too- i'd never thought about 'moving' the vacuum port timing in this way, but it makes a lot of good sense- this thread has been a very good read :)
And there's the other Thread about the BOLT instead of the Slotted Set Screw in the Threaded Hole that caused a relatively heated conversation a while back. And here it is, having a really SPIFFY function. It's going to be fun messing with THAT again.

Anyways, hope Ms American is in a good mood today, and the next (and hopefully less intensive labor wise) capers can get started
Well, all that has been done has created ANOTHER defugalty. Am REALLY in a quandry as to what to do about it, but there's probably someone here who can relate, and give some advice. Will have JPGs soon.

I remember years ago, you commenting on Greg Donahue (i think) offering to restore her for 30k or something
Right. The first time I talked with Greg Donahue about Ms. American, he said: "Bring me that car and thirty thousand dollars, and I'll make it just like the day it came off the assembly line!" Then Gary said he'd do it for seventeen thousand!

keep this stuff up and she'll be better than new on your own :)
Oh Tim, she's NEVER going to be YOUNG again. But then again, neither are we!

the results you have achieved so far are really inspiring- a lot of neat commentary/suggestions/educational threads for sure
Do you ever get the feeling that we're just winging it? But have to say, that all that has been done has given the old Gal some "character". She IS what she IS. Maybe one day she'll be a Trailer Queen, but I don't think I'll ever see it.

perhaps someday you can do a road trip to Gary's for a paint job.
Maybe if the Car Port could be built, that it could be adapted into a paint booth! Don't hold your breath though.

I can just about picture 'the great Ms American install air conditioning, add trailer hitch for kitty trailer, and 2000 mile road trip caper' wouldnt that be a hoot! heheh :)
Aren't fantasies wondermus?

hope you have a great day- tim
It STARTED out that way... BUT----

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Hey All,
Thursday, June 23, 2016, Mid-Afternoon Update:

SOMETIMES THINGS GET ADDED THAT CAUSE PROBLEMS!

Went out to do a test drive of Ms. American. She started right up, and was running so nice.

Pulled out of the driveway, and turned left to go to the turn-around. She was doing fine.

Turned around and headed back. Shifted into second gear and accelerated a bit. Everything was all right.

Got to where the street goes out onto the Farm-to-Market road, and made a left, then down onto the Welder's property to turn around. All was copacetic.

Made a right to head back to the other end of the road.

Was in second gear, and gave the Throttle a little blip. It was like a Saturn Five take-off!

Before I could get my foot off the Accelerator, there was a "CLUNK", and a bit of a SHUDDER.

Got on the Brakes just in time to slow enough to pull into the driveway.

Then there was another "CLUNK" and the old Gal coasted to a stop right in front of the lattice-work Kitty Kastle.

Shut the 3.14 down, got out and there,lying in the driveway was the U-Joint!

It seems that the PerTronix Ignition, and the 60,000 Volt Coil, and the Accelerator Pump working, and the Super-Tuning job was just too much for even a Police Interceptor's EXTRA-HEAVY-DUTY U-Joint.

We've turned the 3.14 into a cross between Godzilla&Jaws!

Haven't yet surveyed the damage, but here are some JPGs:

A bit of a closer view:

And here is the U-Joint. It's probably one of those CHEAP Chinese jobbies that Ms. DXL is allez time griping about!

So if we get the old Gal back together from this unfortunate incident, am going to have to learn NOT to blip the Throttle without my G-Suit on!

NOW... If any of you believe this, Mel has a bridge in Nuevo Yawk he'll sell 'today only' at half price, and I have a collection of DaVinci sketches (the few he did in ball-point) that I'll throw in as a bonus.

Anyway, we DID do a test drive. It went well.

Am going to be doing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday getting everything squared away for Insurance, Alignment, Inspection, and Registration, which will hopefully happen on Monday.

Isn't this FUN you guys?

JC

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
NOW... If any of you believe this, Mel has a bridge in Nuevo Yawk he'll sell 'today only' at half price, and I have a collection of DaVinci sketches (the few he did in ball-point) that I'll throw in as a bonus.

Anyway, we DID do a test drive. It went well.

Am going to be doing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday getting everything squared away for Insurance, Alignment, Inspection, and Registration, which will hopefully happen on Monday.

Isn't this FUN you guys?

JC
I saw the pic of that busted shaft and my heart sunk staring at the picture, wondering just what kinda stubshaft hookup that coulda been for a few minutes before scrolling down-

then saw the "If any of you believe this" and was able to breathe again...
yep- you got me :) glad all went well!

will read the follow ups a couple time zones east- time to say bye to Colorado...

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
that's not a broken u-joint. where is the drive shaft?
Hey Mr. GZ,
Was coming out of the Brookshire Brothers Grocery Store, and as Lorrie turned left going East, there is Jerry's Restaurant, a kind of TruckStop Coffee Shop across the street from the BB Grocery Store a little East of the Exit of the BB's Parking Lot. With Lorrie's Steering Wheel on the Right side, I noticed this strange looking object in the middle of Jerry's Parking lot Exit. I pulled into the drive, and went around the parking lot and found that U-Joint. It is HUGE! I can barely carry it. It must weigh sixty pounds or so.

It must have come off of one of the Trucks that use the Jerry's Parking Lot.

Am going to one day take it to the Car Wash and clean it up.

As for where is the Drive Shaft? Haven't a clue, but I can't imagine that the guy driving the Truck off of which it came, didn't notice that it had come off. But then again, I haven't any idea of how the U-Joints on a Truck are arranged.

BUT, after writing the spoof, I went out and did a longer Test Drive of Ms. American. Didn't get over 40 MPH because of the road, but from 40, did some quick stops. The Brakes are really SOLID, and the stops are STRAIGHT. She is so DIFFERENT than driving Lorrie. In Lorrie, one sits up high, looking down on the surroundings. In Ms. American, it feels like one is reclining. And BTW, I did blip the Throttle in second gear, and the 3.14 is a seriously dangerous piece of equipment. It makes a LOT of horsepower VERY quickly. Am glad I don't drive like that. One could get seriously hurt in a vehicle with THIS much power if one is the least bit foolish.

Am so used to driving gentle Lorrie. It is going to take some amount of getting used to a BIG, POWERFUL car again. Lorrie has a relatively short wheel base compared to Ms. American. That is going to have to be learned again.

Even later, since the Tarps were off of Ms. American for the Test Drives, took the opportunity to clean all the Windows, Headlights, Taillights, Mirrors, and even sat in the old Gal cleaning the Dash, and Steering Wheel.

Vacuumed the Carpet, and got much of the detritus cleaned out of the nooks&crannies.

Anyway, have all the stuff out of Ms. American, and now have to start taking the stuff out of Lorrie and getting it back into the house.

Am going to deal with the Secondary Throttle Plate Shaft Adjustment BOLT tomorrow morning. Going to get the 3.14 warmed up, with the Vacuum Gauge connected to the Vacuum Line FROM the 4100. Am going to open the Secondaries, and then turn the Hot Idle Screw out to get back to 700 RPM, then check the Vacuum Gauge. Am aiming at 700 RPM with Zero Vacuum.

Have to say that the old Gal is far from being really slick&shiny, but cleaned up, she is suave&charismatic. And the 3.14 has never run this good since the old Gal came to live with me.

Anyway, it has been a GREAT day. Ms. American is actually BACK!

JC.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi there,

You almost got me! Thanks to ford4v429 I saved my dignety.
I was just about to quote the recently discoverd Murthy's 2nd Law (or is it Mel's 1st?): "The solving of one problem evokes two new ones".

BTW, FYI, in anticiption of future (interior) capers, nwclassic is now parting out 3 (count 'em) '64's.

Mel

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
oh zero on the vac adv line. my bad
Hey Mr. GZ,
Can only DREAM of 20" of Vacuum in the Intake Manifold at 700 RPM Idle.

Now that Ms. American is no longer in the Driveway that goes to the back of the house, am going to back Lorrie as far to the rear of the house to unload her cargo bay of all the "stuff" that was used working on the 3.14. Will save me MANY steps. Now all that has to be done is find a place to put everything. It all had places where it was BEFORE getting used, but those places have been filled with other stuff. Stuff expands to fill all available space! Do YOU have THAT problem?

Am going to start exploring the Dark Domain of the Driver's Side Front Door Interior. Am hoping that the Window Escapement is fixable. It would be such a luxury to have Windows that roll down&up.

It's going to be quite strange not to be concentrating only on getting the 3.14 up&running. There will be a little more variety in the kind of stuff that will be being done.

Have a NEW Headliner that has been here for years that needs installing, but like everything else that I've never done before, there is an initial trepidatious fear of trying to do it.

Anyway, there is MUCH that can be done. We'll take it step-by-step.

Hope YOU are well.

JC

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Well done JC

Your advance is quick though, so now you have to listen to 3.14 closely. If you hear any detonation, rattling, pinging, etc, bend the tabs to tighten the springs up a bit to slow the curve.

However, "all in" by the RPM you have now is not necessarily too aggressive because you are stopping a bit short, if that makes sense. Also, you do have a decent 1st gear ratio and 4.11s out back that help offset the load on the engine.

Another option to reduce octane requirements, and make a little more power on top, is to do your valve adjustment and run them with a bit tighter lash, which effectively makes the camshaft "bigger" and reduced dynamic compression.

Too tight won't hurt anything, up until the point the valves won't close, and even then, that doesn't hurt, it just doesn't run well. Too loose on the other hand can be rough on lifters. Lash is also a tunable item, so do not let anyone tell you it "has" to be anywhere, there is only a "too loose" number and it depends on the cam and the design of its lash ramp

Realize though that your idle vacuum may drop a little with tighter lash, that is expected and OK

So, while the process is fresh in your mind, you could go back inside if you really want to meet the "super tuned" intent and do one more thing

--Take your file to those slots again and make them a bit LONGER on the extended side, to try to get closer to 36-38.

That will likely shift the total curve to be all in by 2700 or so, as the springs will get tighter as the weights travel further.

The other option would be to increase initial a bit, however, then, your curve is likely too fast and you need to tighten the tabs.

That is an easier option, but depends if 3.14s starter will like the added load of advanced initial, but DO NOT advance 3.14s initial unless you tighten the tabs

That being said, if you never run it full throttle, you are likely perfectly fine as is

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
I saw the pic of that busted shaft and my heart sunk staring at the picture,
Hey Tim,
The intent was a "sight gag"! I mean, a sixty-pound HEAVY-DUTY-POLICE-INTERCEPTOR U-JOINT? That just struck me as being funny! :) That U-Joint is bigger than Ms. American's Differential! And to blame the PerTronix Ignition System for BLOWING that BIG a thing... Don't they WISH?

wondering just what kinda stubshaft hookup that coulda been for a few minutes before scrolling down-
It was meant to be "outrageous".

then saw the "If any of you believe this" and was able to breathe again...
Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? :)

yep- you got me :) glad all went well!
Tim, the test drive was doubly impressive! First was impressed at how nicely the 3.14 is running. Soooo smooth, and soooo responsive. The Brakes have barely a half inch before going TOTALLY solid. The old Gal GOES&STOPS magnificently. All of THAT added up to being VERY impressive. Add THAT to my being used to driving Lorrie, and how soft&gentle she is, the transition to Ms. American's gnarly&snarly get-up-and-go demeanor was heightened. As you mentioned, am going to have to learn how to drive the old Gal all over again.

will read the follow ups a couple time zones east- time to say bye to Colorado...
So are you just driving on&on? Or is this trip also a bit of a leisurely thing. Your visiting your father was certainly the MAIN thing... BUT did you include a bit of a vacation in the mix?

Anyway, we're in the process this morning of going to play with the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjustment Bolt. Will let you know how THAT goes.

Hope your journey is progressing pleasantly. Drive carefully.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 ·
Hi there, You almost got me! Thanks to ford4v429 I saved my dignety.
Hey Mel,
HAD to show off that HUGE U-Joint. It's like a piece of sculpture. Am thinking of cleaning it up and painting it in dainty colors (pale pink, light lavender, and white) to make light of it. It would have about the same effect as seeing Hulk Hogan in a tutu&satin ballet shoes! :)

I was just about to quote the recently discoverd Murthy's 2nd Law (or is it Mel's 1st?): "The solving of one problem evokes two new ones".
Am sure that adding a PerTronix wouldn't evoke Mel's First Law by blowing a sixty pound U-Joint, which is not to say that it positively won't cause some kind of problem along the way. Hope it doesn't though.

BTW, FYI, in anticiption of future (interior) capers, nwclassic is now parting out 3 (count 'em) '64's. Mel
Actually, Ms. American's Interior parts are still in pretty good shape except for the Headliner which is non-existant. BUT, there is a NEW Headliner sitting here still in the box. Looked this morning at a YouTube Video of a Headliner Installation. It's pretty much beyond me. And I suspect that the Body/Upholstery Shops around here would have someone with less qualifications than I have try to do the job. May have to take it into Houston to have it done, if in actuality, it EVER does get installed.

Anyway, it's coming up time to clean up after the felines, and then deal with the 3.14's Secondary Throttle Plates Shaft Adjustment. this ought to be interesting. Will let you know how it goes.

Take care.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
Well done JC
Hey Ross,
Thanks. It was an interesting process, and have actually comprehended most of what was done. Still, there is so much to it that one could mess with it forever.

Your advance is quick though, so now you have to listen to 3.14 closely. If you hear any detonation, rattling, pinging, etc, bend the tabs to tighten the springs up a bit to slow the curve.
Would you believe that this is ACTUALLY understood? Can see how THAT would affect the advance rate.

BTW, how are Advance Spring rated? I've done a search for that information but found nothing.

I mean, if I wanted to know what the Springs that are in the 3.14's Distributor are, how could/would they be graded?

AND, if one wanted stronger or weaker Springs, how would one go about getting them? It seems to me that some time ago I saw what appeared to be a sectioned Plastic Box about 12" square that had a BUNCH of Advance Springs in it, and they were not only sorted into the many sections of the box, but they were also colored. Imagined that they were weaker to stronger depending on what section they were in, and weaker to stronger depending on their color.

However, "all in" by the RPM you have now is not necessarily too aggressive because you are stopping a bit short, if that makes sense.
By THAT you mean, we are NOT continuing to increase the advance as the RPMs continue to rise. We could run higher RPMs without getting more Advance.

Also, you do have a decent 1st gear ratio and 4.11s out back that help offset the load on the engine.
When my mother used to race, she was alway enamoured with the way the old Gal went from a standstill to the end of first gear. :) Actually, what the old Gal needs is a limited-slip differential! BUT presently the Clutch is not all that tightly-wrapped. It slips&shudders a bit if treated too gingerly.

another option to reduce octane requirements, and make a little more power on top, is to do your valve adjustment and run them with a bit tighter lash, which effectively makes the camshaft "bigger" and reduced dynamic compression.
Am going to in the near future do another Valve Adjustment. Enjoyed doing the last one.

Too tight won't hurt anything, up until the point the valves won't close, and even then, that doesn't hurt, it just doesn't run well. Too loose on the other hand can be rough on lifters. Lash is also a tunable item, so do not let anyone tell you it "has" to be anywhere, there is only a "too loose" number and it depends on the cam and the design of its lash ramp
Am not averse to running what the Crane Spec Sheet recommends. It seems it would be a safe thing to do.

Realize though that your idle vacuum may drop a little with tighter lash, that is expected and OK
Was pretty happy that it was closer to 20 than it was to 15. And today we are going to do some exploration with the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjustment BOLT to see if we can get the Primary Throttle Plates to close down without losing the 700 RPM Idle, and hopefully get the Vacuum in the Vacuum Advance Canister Line down to zero.

ALSO... Want to turn the Electric Choke Cap BACK to where it doesn't hold the Choke Plate so tightly closed. Turned it to where it presently is in an effort to slow its opening, but now it is totally closed, and the Brass Thumb Screw Adjustment isn't able to go out far enough to let it open when cold.

So, while the process is fresh in your mind, you could go back inside if you really want to meet the "super tuned" intent and do one more thing: --Take your file to those slots again and make them a bit LONGER on the extended side, to try to get closer to 36-38.
I see how THAT "could" be done, and how it would do what you say. BUT, am thinking we will pass on going THAT far. The old Gal is already more than a handful for someone my age. I remember when I was in my early twenties, that I had a 450 HP Engine in a Studebaker Hawk, and was (looking back) fearlessly foolish with it. Would do things with it that would scare me today. It was hotter than Ms. American, but I'm pretty much past the need for speed now.

That will likely shift the total curve to be all in by 2700 or so, as the springs will get tighter as the weights travel further.
I can see that there are all kinds of little nuances that could be, if one wanted to just play with them, done to the Distributor, and probably the Carburetor, and other systems. BUT, instead of pursuing THOSE kind of things, am more interested in getting the rest of the old Gal more functional. Windows are next. Can't drive around in this heat with all the windows up! And would really like to not have to always put the Tarps over the old Gal. The CarPort would be a boon, but also, Window Gaskets would keep water out.

AND... The NEXT really SERIOUS series of things that would be REALLY cool would be to tighten up the Clutch, Transmission, and Differential. The Drive Line is really loosey-goosey. The Shift Linkage works well as long as one treats it gently. BUT, it isn't the Linkage that is loose. It's the Shift Arms on the Transmission that need to be tighter. And the slop in the Ring&Pinion is excessive. And as mentioned previously, the Clutch Slips&Chatters if not done just right. THAT'S all the stuff that prompts me to drive the old Gal so gently.

The other option would be to increase initial a bit, however, then, your curve is likely too fast and you need to tighten the tabs.
16 Degrees Initial, with NO Centrifugal and NO Vacuum Advance at 700 RPM is quite sufficient.

That is an easier option, but depends if 3.14s starter will like the added load of advanced initial, but DO NOT advance 3.14s initial unless you tighten the tabs
Have no plans on advancing the initial. It's running good. Am willing to leave well enough alone.

That being said, if you never run it full throttle, you are likely perfectly fine as is
Can't, at this point, see a reason to put my foot in it, unless something happens that it just HAS to be done. I mean, unless I have to get out of someone's way, or something like that, the lightest of foot in the old Gal is "pedal to the metal" in Lorrie. Actually, were into making both of these old heaps last, but with a bit of respectibility.

Anyway, time to go clean up after the cats. Then am going to go play with the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjustment Bolt, Hot Idle Screw, and also the Electric Choke Cap. Also this weekend have got to make sure that all the lights, blinkers, and stuff are working in order to pass inspection. Am planning on getting the Front End Aligned and Inspection done early next week. Got to get insurance, and inspection in order to get the old Gal registered.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the mentoring&assistance.

Take care.

JC

561 - 580 of 614 Posts