Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
581 - 600 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
Hey All,
Friday, June 24, 2016, Morning Update:

IT'S EASY-PEASY... BUT ONLY IF YOU SAY IT REAL FAST!

First thing... Turned the Electric Choke Cap to where the Choke Plate was about 3/32" off the Back Wall of the Air Horn.

Next, hooked up the Vacuum Gauge to the Vacuum Line FROM the 4100 TO the Vacuum Advance Canister.

Next, turned the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjusting BOLT in a bit to open the Secondary Throttle Plates.

The 3.14 started right up, and though it wasn't perfect, it WAS better than it HAD been for getting onto its own without tickling the Accelerator. It did it SOONER.

At Operating Temperature, the Idle was up to 1,200 RPMs at about 9" showing on the Vacuum Gauge.

Aha!, thought I... This is going to be GOOD! All we'd have to do is turn the Hot Idle Screw OUT till the Vacuum Gauge showed Zero Vacuum. Then adjust the Secondary Adjusting Bolt OUT till the Sun Tachometer was at 750 RPMs, and we'd be all set!

OK... File all THAT in the Folder labeled "Why Can't Anything Be Easy?"

Started turning the Hot Idle Adjusting Screw OUT. The RPMs dropped a little, BUT the GOOD NEWS was that the Vacuum Gauge went to just above Zero, which is where it is when it isn't hooked to anything.

Could turn the Hot Idle Screw back IN, and dial in any amount of Vacuum!

This was REALLY SPIFFY. So just set it where the Needle barely showed movement, and moved on to the Secondary Adjustment Bolt.

Started turning the Secondary Adjusting Bolt OUT, and the RPMs began to drop. Got it to where it to where the Tachometer said 750 RPMs, and everything was running just fine.

RPMs - 750 - GREAT!
Vacuum - Zero - GREAT!
3.14 - HAPPY! - GREAT!

Blipped the Throttle.

RPMs went up and then back down... To where the 3.14 was barely turning... NOT HAPPY at 300+ RPMs! But it WAS running. Amazing thing to see! Big old Engine sitting there just barely turning, turning.

Blipped the Throttle to keep it from dying. RPMs went UP, then it went right back to running REALLY slow.

Felt the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjusting LEVER, and it was against the Adjusting Bolt.

Started turning the Adjusting Bolt IN. RPMs started back UP. Got the RPMs back up to 750, and everything was HAPPY again!

Blipped the Throttle. RPMs went UP, then back down to 1,800!!!

Felt the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjusting Lever, and pushed it down, the RPMs Dropped to just below 1,000.

Turned the Adjusting Bolt OUT, and the pushed the Adjusting Lever DOWN, and got the RPMs back to 750.

Blipped the Throttle. RPMs went UP, then back down to running REALLY slow again.

And this went on like this through four or five cycles till I was getting too hot.

So with the 3.14 turning about 400 RPM, the Hot Idle Screw was turned in to bring the Idle up to 750, with the Vacuum Gauge showing 5", everything was HAPPY again.

Took the Vacuum Gauge off of the Vacuum Line FROM the 4100, and put it into the Vacuum Advance Canister.

The 3.14 immediately began to do what it was doing yesterday at 1.25 turns OUT of the Idle Mixture Screws, that David termed Lean Surge!

By this time I had had all the fun I could stand for a while.

Shut the 3.14 down, unhooked the Negative Battery Cable, and came in to sit here in front of the fans with my soaked T-Shirt off!

Am thinking that somehow, the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjustment is erratic. It could be adjusted OUT, or IN, and everything would be fine till the Throttle was blipped, and then it would either go back to real SLOW, or real FAST depending on where it had been adjusted FROM.

So am going to have something to eat, take a break, and then go back and maybe mess with the 3.14 some more, or maybe do something else, like clean Lorrie Van Haul out.

BUT, am almost POSITIVE I heard Ms. American snickering at me as I came into the house. It's as if she LIKES to do this kind of thing, just to keep me humble! And we had been doing so well...

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
you forgot to adj. mix after changing rpm

BINGO!!!!!!

JC, you have to remember, the 2 idle a/f mixture screws need to be adjusted after ANY other change and ESPECIALLY after moving the primary throttle plates

WHY?

Because although we showed you one minor effect of the primaries being too far open (vacuum to the distributor at idle) that is not the worst part of being too far open. A larger effect of having the primaries too far open is that the car is idling on both the idle circuit and the transition circuit. By adjusting the carb on both circuits, then returning it to proper operation (idle circuit only) your prior idle a/f adjustment is NULL and VOID.

So, in any change to the tune of the engine. Timing, valve adjustment, idle speed, etc, you have to go back and readjust the idle a/f screws to compensate. Sometimes it doesn't matter much, sometimes it does, in this case, by properly getting rid of the transition fuel, it is a HUGE change

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
you forgot to adj. mix after changing rpm
Hey Mr. GZ,
Didn't forget ANYTHING!

THE GODDAMNED RPM NEVER "CHANGED"! :)

It just got ERRATIC!

I chased the goddamned RPMs up&down, up&down, up&down, up&down, and up&down, till I couldn't see straight! And each time, it got MORE&MORE erratic. And the more I chased it, the more elusive it became!

It MAY not even be anything that I'm doing. It MAY not even be anything that the 3.14 is doing. In fact, this whole fiasco may not EVEN be happening!

This MAY all be aught but a solipsistic eidolon! But there's no way to TELL!

Have to say that every step so far has had to be done over, and over, and over again, before it finally stands still long enough to take the next step.
And only after it has stood still long enough to take the next step, has the awareness of what the phenomenon causing the having to do it over, and over, and over again been given a name&explanation.

Then with that in mind, the next step can finally be taken.

And IT has to be done over, and over, and over again till it finally stands still long enough to take the next step. And it is only at THAT point, that what has been happening is given a name&explanation.

This is NOT about getting the old Gal up&running!

This is NOT about making a proper set of adjustments that makes EVERYTHING function as advertised.

This is NOT about finally saying: "OK, THAT'S IT!"

This IS about showing just how FRIGGIN' inadequate the effort to do what it is that we're doing is, and making me do everything over, and over, and over till "IT" finally decides that enough is enough, and THEN it will end, and nothing will ever become of it because there NEVER has been anything for it to become!

OK... So NOW... What to do NOW?

And you can all proffer a solution, but I can tell you right off... THAT (whatever it is) WON'T WORK! And to prove that it won't, we'll have to do it over, and over, and over again, but FIRST, we're going to have to do something else over, and over, and over again. BUT, in order to do THAT, we're going to have to do SOMETHING ELSE, over and over and over again.

This whole thing is about making me give up! And ONLY after I have "tapped out" will it be able to be finished.

BUT the problem is: If I've finally submitted, then there's no more going on.

And I can't just pretend to give up. I've got to ACTUALLY give up.

Only THEN will it be possible to go on.

But if I've ACTUALLY given up, then it WON'T go on. AND if I try to continue, it will ALL start all over, and over, and over again!

It's like "Ground Hog Day"!

All right... With all THAT finally said, here is the reality:

There is about two hours every morning between NOW and about the middle of September that anything can be done. And between NOW and then, there is a certain amount of stuff that should&could be done. But the thing is, within those parameters, it's going to be that: When everything is eventually worked-out, will be simultaneous with my NEVER again being able to use what has finally been done.

This is the onset of MADDNESS, and I've got to decide whether I'm going to be EITHER a friggin' failure or just a totally insane old fart!

OR, maybe this is but an opening door to the REAL destiny. Maybe it would be best just to let go!

But then, who would feed the cats and wash the dishes?

JC

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
JC,
Read my post above, specifically about the effect of the transition circuit, it's not an RPM issue and it certainly isn't the car. It's the loose nut with the screwdriver in his hand doing things out of order

1. In a properly tuned carb

idle on the idle circuit, the transition circuit is energized as you open the throttle blades, to help get onto the main circuit.

2. In your carb, pre-throttle blade adjustment

Idle on the idle AND transition circuit at the same time because the throttle blades were open, and idle a/f screws adjusted to make those two circuits idle nicely.

3. In your carb AFTER throttle blade adjustment

Idle on idle circuit, but a/f screws were now improperly adjusted and not corrected for the new setup

No surprise that it isn't idling nice

THIS is why I try to get you to focus on one problem at a time. We were working on the timing curve, not yet the carb, but by jumping ahead, it confused you.

I personally think there is more to gain with timing and then we can get back to carb, but your last response to me seemed like you don't want to do that. To be honest cycling between motivation and despair is hard to help :) You always get it done, so stop fretting in the middle all the time. It is just a machine, it may have a personality, but it is not magic

Additionally, you are not a failure, but you seem to perceive the fix as a single step or two. You have to follow the proper order and then follow through that entire solution, period.

Reactions: kbuhagiar

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
ok. you didn't adjust idle mix because rpm was the same. after moving throttle plates the mix has changed. don't get stuck on 1.75 turns out. thee proper mix will be what each side needs to get the best mix. it may be 1 turn more on one side than the other..make a throttle plate change-adj. mix.-repeat

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #587 ·
JC, It's not an RPM issue and it certainly isn't the car. It's the loose nut with the screwdriver in his hand doing things out of order
Hey Ross,
OK. So here we go from square one, doing things in the proper order. OK?
Let's get BACK to the the Timing Curve. In order to make this coherent, am going to alter the sequence of your post to respond. OK?

I personally think there is more to gain with timing and then we can get back to carb, but your last response to me seemed like you don't want to do that.
Have gone back and read your previous post, and found some recommended options (bending some tabs, filing some slots, tightening some springs if detonation became evident, adjusting valve lash, and etc.) but the conclusion was:

That being said, if you never run it full throttle, you are likely perfectly fine as is
That we didn't bend tabs, file slots, tighten spring, adjust valves, and etc., is NOT because I don't WANT to do that. It's that I took the above quote from your previous post to mean that we were pretty much done with the Timing Curve part of the project.

I then made mention of going to see if we could get rid of the 9" of Vacuum in the Vacuum Line to the Vacuum Advance Canister by opening the Secondary Throttle Plates, and closing the Primary Throttle Plates, and didn't get any dissent. So this morning being "the loose nut with the Screwdriver (actually it was a 5/16" Wrench)", off we went intrepidly, to get us into the mess in which the 3.14 presently is mired.

THIS is why I try to get you to focus on one problem at a time. We were working on the timing curve, not yet the carb, but by jumping ahead, it confused you.
All right. We're STILL working on the Timing Curve... Have done everything on the Check List. Have NOT done the bending of tabs, filing of slots, tightening of springs, adjusting of valve lash, and etc. WHAT to do NEXT?

Read my post above, specifically about the effect of the transition circuit.
All right.

1. In a properly tuned carb: idle on the idle circuit, the transition circuit is energized as you open the throttle blades, to help get onto the main circuit.
OK. In order to deal with the Timing Curve, we NEED the 3.14 running. In order for the 3.14 to run, the 4100 needs to be functional. In order for the 4100 to function properly, it needs to be adjusted so that it Idles on the Idle circuit. How is THAT set up from Square One?

2. In your carb, pre-throttle blade adjustment: Idle on the idle AND transition circuit at the same time because the throttle blades were open, and idle a/f screws adjusted to make those two circuits idle nicely.
OK. So we want to have the Primary Throttle Plates adjusted to where they are NOT open, and the Idle Mixture Screws are adjusted to run WITHOUT the Throttle Plates being open. How is THAT set up from Square One?

3. In your carb AFTER throttle blade adjustment: Idle on idle circuit, but a/f screws were now improperly adjusted and not corrected for the new setup. No surprise that it isn't idling nice
OK. With the Idle Mixture Screw Adjustment Mechanism installed as it is, adjusting the Idle Mixture Screws is NO BIG DEAL. BUT, the way it was done LAST time was to set them at 1.5 turns out, and VOILA' it ran well! The problem, it turns out, is that the Primary Throttle Plates were OPEN causing 9" of Vacuum in the Vacuum Advance Canister Line.

Am going to request that we FINISH with the Timing Curve before going on to the 4100. BUT, we're going to have to have the 4100 functioning to FINISH the Timing Curve Adjustment. How do we do THAT from Square One?

To be honest cycling between motivation and despair is hard to help :)
Sometimes it helps to look at the situation and vent by typing. You don't need to help me cycle between "motivation&despair". :) I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself, having had a lifetime of practice! :)

You always get it done, so stop fretting in the middle all the time. It is just a machine, it may have a personality, but it is not magic
That's easy for YOU to say, because for YOU it ISN'T magical. But when I look at all the stuff that YOU, David, and Mr. GZ know, it's a lot like watching a performance of David Copperfield, Chris Angel, and Blackstone!

ACTUALLY don't watch those guys because not being able to explain to myself how what they are doing is done makes me queasy! Also, it isn't necessary for me to know how they do what they do. But such is NOT the case with Ms. American. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done, and Ms. American will just fade away. Have a cat that is trying to do that very thing. She doesn't like what I have to do to keep it from happening. I told her the other day that I couldn't let it happen even though she doesn't like what is being done to keep it from happening. Same goes for Ms. American.

Additionally, you are not a failure, but you seem to perceive the fix as a single step or two. You have to follow the proper order and then follow through that entire solution, period.
OK. How to do this from Square One!

The 3.14 is sitting there totally screwed up after this morning! So we can start without screwing anything up more than it already is.

Am going to set the Idle Mixture Screws at 1.5 turns out.
Am going to set the Secondary Throttle Plate Adjustment BOLT at 3/4 turns IN after contact with the Secondary Throttle Plate Shaft Adjusting Lever.
Am going to Cap the Vacuum Advance Line from the 4100.
Am going to close the Primary Throttle Plates.
Am going to set the Initial Advance at 16 Degrees BTDC.
Am going to hook up the Timing Light.
Am going to hook up the Vacuum Gauge to the Intake Manifold Vacuum Fitting.
Am going to hook up the Actron Test Unit.
Am going to hook up the Sun Tachometer.
Am going to hook up the Negative Battery Cable.
Am going to activate Rosemary's Miscarriage.
Am going to give the Accelerator a pump.
Am going to Key the Starter.

AND THEN... ???

AND THEN...

JC

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
OK, let's stop ending your posts with what you ARE going to do.

If you ask "What should I do now?" You will get better help. That sounds mean, I don't mean it to be, but the LAST thing you need to do is readjust everything and hook all the test equipment up. You are close, let me help you get there in a methodical manner. Also, give ME a shot, not US, because if you try to do the bidding of a couple guys, you may get confused. If I turn out to be a bust, then I will step aside in shame :)

ON EDIT: I realized I didn't like that last comment. If not me, pick David, or Galax-Z, just not all of us. We all have our techniques, and sometimes talking about them confuses the issue.I can walk you through carb adjustment, but I will force you to learn about that before we go to the next step, in the end, I think you will enjoy it more and it will be less stressful for both of us :)

What you should do now is NOT go back to anything. You are where you are. Remember, when lost, you don't run home, because if you knew where home was, you wouldn't be lost!

1 - Stop counting how many turns out on the idle a/f screws. Just adjust the carb, step 2 and beyond will say how, don't UNDO anything, every time you change something you add a variable

2 - Fire the car and let it warm up, use your foot to keep it running and don't try to fix anything. Once it's warm, set the hot idle speed screw to wherever it needs to be to stay running at somewhere around 800 rpm ish, ISH, doesn't have to be exact and whichever tach you choose, is good enough, we don't need the readings off both. The Actron is likely the easiest for today's tuning

3 - After that, separately, turn each idle a/f screw IN and LISTEN, if it sounds like it's laboring, stop, now slowly back it out. As it you back it out, eventually it will stop getting better, then turn it back IN to where it gets worse, and keep repeating until you find the point where it "just stops getting better" For me, my ear is better than a gauge or a tach. However, another option is a vacuum gauge, but it HAS to be hooked to manifold vacuum

4 - Do the other a/f screw the same way. in out, in out, get to know what the sounds are, .... in wants to stall, out stops getting better. My guess is, that with your new primary throttle setting that it will also be somewhere closer to 1 1/8 turns out.on the a/f screws

5 - Reset the idle speed to 750-ish, or800-ish, lower is likely better, but your cam needs 700 or so minimum. My guess is that it will idle OK now.

Then end the job for the day with an idling car, and we'll figure out what you want to do next. Notice, small bites, one bite a day, easy to talk about, doesn't take a whole page to report.

I have a plan for the next step, but not talking about it yet. :laugh:

Reactions: kbuhagiar

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Hey Tim,
The intent was a "sight gag"! I mean, a sixty-pound HEAVY-DUTY-POLICE-INTERCEPTOR U-JOINT? That just struck me as being funny! :) That U-Joint is bigger than Ms. American's Differential! And to blame the PerTronix Ignition System for BLOWING that BIG a thing... Don't they WISH?

It was meant to be "outrageous".

Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? :)
In the pics, it didnt look THAT big at first- we used to make the big semi parts at work, kinda sad/funny story, they bet the job on thesebig indexing lathe chucks to turn/bore/ream at one chucking- problem was a chipped tool would bust the indexing chuck, blow the whole thing apart... We lost our ass on that job... End of year, we had a dinner, yr in review type thing, the boss added one comment ' and we finally ran our last (name omitted) yoke, still got the darn thing in my closet...' And one of my more smart alec buddies blurted out, ' you should have it, you paid five million dollars for it' ouch :)

Those u joints were about7" across the trunnion, massive pieces...we had to go back to retooling/ broaching/ milling, cycle times at best were way beyond quoted, we really lost a bunch.
Tim, the test drive was doubly impressive! First was impressed at how nicely the 3.14 is running. Soooo smooth, and soooo responsive. The Brakes have barely a half inch before going TOTALLY solid. The old Gal GOES&STOPS magnificently. All of THAT added up to being VERY impressive. Add THAT to my being used to driving Lorrie, and how soft&gentle she is, the transition to Ms. American's gnarly&snarly get-up-and-go demeanor was heightened. As you mentioned, am going to have to learn how to drive the old Gal all over again.

So are you just driving on&on? Or is this trip also a bit of a leisurely thing. Your visiting your father was certainly the MAIN thing... BUT did you include a bit of a vacation in the mix?
Yeah, vacation...mom and stepdad are out there too, her yorkie had to be put down a few months ago, the wife found her one at a shelter, they drove 200 miles to pick her up, great little dog, and she adopted my mom immediately...no one else could hold her, she was very scared, but sits right in moms lap happy as a lark... That worked out real well. Took three of the boys camping at Deweese reservior, was a really fun night- full moon on the solstice, bright as heck, pretty cool.
Leaving this time sucked, just dunno how much longer dads gonna hang in there, could be years, but hes faded so much this past few months, its just not good...time marches on...
Anyway, we're in the process this morning of going to play with the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjustment Bolt. Will let you know how THAT goes.

Hope your journey is progressing pleasantly. Drive carefully.

JC
thanks, were splashing around at a water park in kansas city, timed the drive perfectly( picture peewee herman saying ' i meant to do that') in we tried to trust the weather map, timed leaving to follow a split in a big expected storm, drove overnight without a drop of rain - dumb luck likely, but ill take it :)

Dont get too frustrated, jeez, look how far youve come so far... These guys arent steering you astray, just theres a lot of intermingled things going on, that will take a little tail chasing for a bit...know the weather sucks, but keep plugging away, things will taper down.

One comment/ question for everyone- any benefit to closing the primary idle further? Just wondering as JC mentioned adjusting to where vac gage just barely zero, and a while back mentioning the throttle shaft slop... Perhaps a SOLID zero( maybe a half turn past zero) would prevent any possibility of throttle shaft wear affecting idle vac advance? Just a thought.

Yeah- another 'do it again' suggestion- sorry :)
Stay cool if possible- tim

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
Set the hot idle speed screw to where it needs to be to stay running at around 800 rpm.
Turn each idle a/f screw IN and LISTEN, if it sounds like it's laboring, stop, slowly back it out.
As you back it out, it will stop getting better
Turn it back IN to where it gets worse.
Keep repeating until you find the point where it "just stops getting better".
For me, my ear is better than a gauge or a tach. However, another option is a vacuum gauge, but it HAS to be hooked to manifold vacuum.
Do the other a/f screw the same way. In out, in out, get to know what the sounds are. In wants to stall. Out stops getting better.
Reset the idle speed to 750-ish, or 800-ish, lower is likely better. Your cam needs 700 or so minimum.
I have a plan for the next step, but not talking about it yet.
All right.

JC

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey All,
This is Em Earle Lenns.

I'm a close friend nad confidint of jcs.

I have jsut registered to convey a mesage to you all from jc It seems that ford muscle has decided to **** everything up, and as a reslut jc will no longer be post there

he ask me to convey to you his bset wishes, and gratude for all teh help and encouraggment that you have so grashisously afforded him since 2007.

If anee of yez woud lik to mesage him you cna send it to [email protected] and i will see taht he gits it.

Em

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Hey All,
This is Em Earle Lenns.

I'm a close friend nad confidint of jcs.

I have jsut registered to convey a mesage to you all from jc It seems that ford muscle has decided to **** everything up, and as a reslut jc will no longer be post there

he ask me to convey to you his bset wishes, and gratude for all teh help and encouraggment that you have so grashisously afforded him since 2007.

If anee of yez woud lik to mesage him you cna send it to [email protected] and i will see taht he gits it.

Em
Howdy Em Earle,

Please convey our best regards to JC.

We will surely miss hearing the details of his escapades (I know I will!) if he decides to make his exit from FMF permanent.

I guess the mandatory password upgrade pushed him over the edge.

Looking forward to his return.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Well, I hope it was the password stuff and not the heavy handed response I gave him.

Please pass our best and good luck on Lorrie and 3.14!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I just got an email from him and he said he tried to update his password but evidently he was trying to re-register and it said his username "JC Allison" was already in use and he wasted his 5 tries attempting to fix it!! After it said he was blocked he said F*** IT and bailed out never to return!!:(

I have had to change passwords on EVERY automotive site I'm on......who is screwing things up?? JC said it was a Canadian group called "VerticalScope"??:frown2:

Someone of authority need to explain it to me and hopefully help JC!!:bicker:

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
verticalscope is the owner of autoguide and a bizillion other sites, funded by advertising... the culprit im sure is in cahoots with a site called leakedsource.com- you can go there and buy access to 45million verticalscope accounts today... i just posted this on the admin page-

I am a bit more worried about this messup than passwords... keeping hackers out of OUR forum posting/posing seems kinda .001% of a worry comared to all the other (ip/email/name/likely similar passwords that could easily allow spoofing for more 'real' reason hackers do what they do- identity theft and similar)
first concern- what are 'hashed passwords'?
thats the 'biggie' that got out, but i dont know what it means.

I have two questions for the admins to consider- possibly pass upstream:

1) wouldnt it be a un-loseable case for VerticalScope to file a suit against LeakedSource.com? they are selling stolen data on that site- its not like a napster argueable thing about 'sharing'- the theft is no good for anything more than malicious reasons. sue the **** out of them, get their recrds and sue anyone that accessed others data thru them...i'm sure you could find a law firm that would do it on contingency- heck, let them have 100%...Vertical scope lost only trust in this theft- all us users are the ones put at risk, please consider turning the tables on these thieving idiots.

2) what is vertical scopes password stuff going to do about preventing future stuff like this? the folks that would steal this info dont want to edit our posts- know what i mean? guaranteed they want our IP to spoof, our email and password tendencies so they can imitate or simpler yet hack banking/paypal type sites. the forum issue is nothing compared to what damage has already been done... while part of me would love to scream at VerticalScope about this breach, I know hackers are getting better at it- and i wouldnt doubt a microsoft hole allowed it.

lastly, I really think it might be 'nice' for VerticalScope to add emphasis to the forum attention thing:
EVERYONE IN HERE- I'D SUGGEST GETTING A PIECE OF PAPER AND CHANGE PASSWORDS ON EVERY SITE INVOLVING POSSIBLE MONEY IF YOU USE SIMILAR PASSWORDS.

getting ahold of cash is the only reason hackers/****ty sites like leakeddata sell this stuff- so idiots with little knowledge can try to call themselves 'hackers' by seeing password similarities... even the number of characters would give them a tool to limit tries... go random- pick a page out of a book for words, throw dice for truly random number generation, use that for random spacing between letters to drop in random characters...random truncation of words, random length(i think thats maybe one of the biggest) the type of thing a hacker couldnt ever write a program to try and sort patterns from...
to all my FM friends, please note the suggestion in caps- i'm a worry wart anyways, but i really feel THAT is important- unless you NEVER EVER used similar password structures elsewhere...

·
Registered
46 Posts
it seem to me that vertclescop cut it noes off to spite it face. if they git pay by clic they jes losse the mos clikd poster hear in jc. his over a hunert capers have genarate clos to a milion cliks. an then thay treet him lik a terd. yez all shuld rebel agains yer canadeen mazters

MEL

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi there,

i did pass tihs mesage on to jc. he aksed me to write and say it was the stuped pasword stuf than that forcd him to give up being hear.

MEL
Now there are 2 MEL's. Could be confusing.
So, how do we persuade JC to come back, after he simmers down a bit?

Mel

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
it seem to me that vertclescop cut it noes off to spite it face. if they git pay by clic they jes losse the mos clikd poster hear in jc. his over a hunert capers have genarate clos to a milion cliks. an then thay treet him lik a terd. yez all shuld rebel agains yer canadeen mazters

MEL
hackers suck, but VerticalScope seems more worried about password access to their sites than anything- a bad reaction in my opinion- hackers dont want in to post about car junk, they want to get hints for stealing identities... if anyone uses any at all similar passwords on anything related to banking/paypal that a username/ip/password clued hacker has just bought on leakedsource.com, it could be a huge issue. I started a lifelock thing and redid all passwords totally random this morning- pain in the ass...but clearing up id theft could be bigger for sure- shame on me for using similar passwords.

whether verticalscope/autoguide/one of the hundreds of vbulletin sites they owned allowed it is a moot point now- but i went thru all my stuff and never realized how many similar passwords i had used over the yrs... maybe a good thing in a way, but its just a matter of time till a bank gets hacked too

anyways, to me, the 'right' thing to do would be for VS to sue the owners of leakedsource- they are selling access to stolen data- its time to shut these guys down, best way is to hit them in the wallets...selling stolen goods, charging just for access to what might be your stolen data should be some kind of extortion- make a example out of some of these guys and end this crap.

i feel verticalscope's kneejerk password reset stuff is just a misguided 'do something even if its wrong' thing... the hackers already got what they wanted thru insecure storage- blocking them from our info now is useless...the potential damage is done

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Aside from this being off-topic and should move elsewhere; are you missing something? Look at our new member. Notice his signature line. See anything odd? Anything sound prophetic? Notice the 40+ posts in 2 days, and they are mostly bumps of JC's threads? Dang, must actually be time-consuming to create that hick drawl and tricky typo's. Taking bets on what MELENNS does next.
;)
David

581 - 600 of 614 Posts