"It's time time to see,"
Said the Manatee,
"Make rhyme with glee,
A variety:
Of bats with balls;
And bats with wings;
Of brussels sprouts;
And aging queens."

A discussion of what to do with Ms. American needs to be carried on, involving those who have high regard for Ford Galaxies in general, and Ms. American 3.14159 (the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the whole World Wide Web) in particular.

Here's the situation:
Ms. American is going to be fifty years old in March of next year.
I'm going to seventy-five years old in January of next year.
My driver's license is going to expire on my birthday in 2017. It will not be renewed because I won't be able to pass the eye exam.
There is a definite possibility that I am going to expire BEFORE my driver's license expires.
Ms. American is in better shape than am I.
The things that need doing to Ms. American are beyond my skill ability.
The things that need doing to Ms. American are beyond my physical abilities.
The things that need doing to Ms. American are WAY beyond my financial means.

There has recently arisen a whole NEW set of possibilities that are exciting, and seem to scream out to be accomplished, so let me briefly describe THAT situation:

As you may or may not know, I am the owner of the AllisonWonderland Concert Lightshow, having invented the Crystalume, a vusic (visual music) instrument that does to the mind through the eyes with light what a music instrument does to the mind through the ears with sound. And up until just recently there has been no way to record the Crystalume.

But I have just recently been contacted by a big time TV producer who wants to use cutting edge technology to record the Crystalume. It is going to involve using the music that I have, over the years, recorded, and will involve recording the Crystalume as the visual component, and releasing the result on DVDs.

Also involved is the publishing of the books that I have written over the years. All this is going to, if everything goes as planned, take ALL my remaining time in this "vale of tears".

And so the question of: "What is going to happen to Ms. American 3.14159?", has become a salient issue.

Presently, Ms. American is sitting up on Jack Stands in need of having her Front Suspension refurbished.

Her MIGHTY 390 CID P-Code FE Engine is in perfect running condition.

Her Clutch, Transmission, Drive Line, and Differential/Rear Axle are as one would expect them to be as a fifty year old vehicle.

Her Brakes are fine other than there MAY be a small breach in the left front Brake Hose that needs addressing.

Her Body is almost rust free, but needs work and a paint job.

She needs upholstery.

But all in all, she is in fair-to-middling shape, and NEEDS someone who has the means and intention to do for her all the things that I am not able to supply.

Her rarity and restore-ability is doubtless.

What she would be worth as a piece of Ford Galaxie history, in a restored condition is priceless, though what she would be worth financially is questionable.

It may be that she should be set up in a condition where she will not deteriorate, and maybe, just maybe, if everything goes as planned, the recording of the Crystalume, and the publishing of the books will result in an influx of funding that would make possible a complete restoration. But THAT is, at this point, a tenuous thread on which to hang the impending fate of Ms. American.

And so the question becomes: What should be done with Ms. American 3.14159?

My desire for her is to have her continue as an entity, being given the TLC that she needs and deserves.

My reason for posting this thread is to gather a wider range of possibilities than I am currently able to muster. So what I am asking is:

"If Ms. American was YOUR vehicle, and you were in MY position, what would YOU consider to be the best course of action with HER well being in mind?"

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Hope you all are well.

JC

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
It is your car, and I can't imagine you without it. What is your gut feeling saying to you about it?

If it was me, I'd be keeping it until the right time comes. Leave it up on blocks.
It's like having an expensive painting or a stamp. You can always admire it. It will always be yours until it's time to move it on. And I don't think it's time just yet. :)

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is your car, and I can't imagine you without it.
Hey Danv,
It's not so much imagining ME without HER. It's about imagining HER without ME!

What is your gut feeling saying to you about it?
I am terribly sad about this, but such is life. I just want her to have a good life. There's no reason that she can't, other than till I'm finally gone, I just don't have the ability, strength, or financial situation to give her that good life. And I don't want her just rotting away.

If it was me, I'd be keeping it until the right time comes. Leave it up on blocks. It's like having an expensive painting or a stamp.
But paintings and stamps aren't alive. And they don't deteriorate. It wouldn't be so bad if the old Gal could be indoors. But she is just under a Plastic&Tarp cover, and while that keeps the rain from leaking into her, it isn't like being garaged.

You can always admire it. It will always be yours until it's time to move it on. And I don't think it's time just yet. :)
My father lived to be eighty-four. My mother lived to be eighty-four. If I live to be eighty-four, then that is another ten years. As was mentioned, this situation with the Crystalume and the books MIGHT be a source of excessive funding, but it's not something that can be counted on at this point. And Ms. American's 3.14 Engine hasn't been started in over a month now. I don't want to have happen to her what happened to Lorrie Van Haul and have problems with the Gasoline and the Pushrods/Valves.

In actuality, this is all about Ms. American and her well being. She needs someone to take care of her, and I am less and less able to be that someone. What it does to me really doesn't matter for after living this long I have pretty much gotten to the point where happiness/sadness, pleasure/pain, hot/cold, and etc. are all pretty much the same. Am able to keep from letting anything overwhelm me. Still, if it is at all possible, that I'd like to see Ms. American have the best life possible.

She has some pretty valuable components. The five KelsyHayes Severe Service Wheels alone are worth $2,500.00. Then there's the Cast Iron Shorty Headers, and the P-Code Engine, the BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission, all of which are in excellent shape. I just don't want to see her eventually "parted-out". She doesn't deserve that.

Nonetheless, this is not a decision that has any urgency to it... YET.

I'm just trying to get ahead of the urgency curve, if you know what I mean.

Anyway Danv, how have you been doing? Hope that everything is going along well for you.

I'll hang in here if YOU'LL hang in there.

JC

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If the car can be documented to be a very rare low production vehicle with all the rare or unique parts intact then it would likely be a good candidate for a museum restoration and included in some museum collection.

That would be a place that would be the most likely to keep her in one piece and as original as possible? Just locating that museum is the issue?

Otherwise, unfortunately the real value of the car is the rare parts and it would likely be parted out by someone looking to do period correct NASCAR boxtop build or to use the parts on a more desirable (by many) 63 1/2 fastback car.

As you may know, I do 60/61 Starliner builds and I constantly run into a similar problem. I can get a complete car in that will have the most desirable options on it and I go to great pains to keep it as original and invariable the person that purchases it will remove all that stuff and lower the car to the ground and a lot of the good parts get scraped. Or sold back to me to put on a car that did not come with them from the factory.

Sad but just the way it is today.

Scott...

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
heh hem.....

Um, The gorgeous Mrs. American P.I. should be cleaned up and interior'ized and painted and driven. Period.

She need a good loving home. I would be very sad if she sat on blocks/jack stands for the next ten or 14 years.

You should do whats in your heart do do with her since I cannot dream of her being anywhere but with you or with me, and since I cannot dream her into my driveway and FM BBQ bashes. Maybe you should keep her until the end and be interred in her :). Or Will me the car and your ashes and the 4 of us (Karen you Mrs P.I. and I) can hang out and go to BBQ's and car show and fishing and take vacations etc... :)

How does that sound?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the car can be documented to be a very rare low production vehicle with all the rare or unique parts intact then it would likely be a good candidate for a museum restoration and included in some museum collection.
Hey Scott,
I don't see Ms. American in a museum.

That would be a place that would be the most likely to keep her in one piece and as original as possible? Just locating that museum is the issue?
Almost in insurmountable task.

Otherwise, unfortunately the real value of the car is the rare parts and it would likely be parted out by someone looking to do period correct NASCAR boxtop build or to use the parts on a more desirable (by many) 63 1/2 fastback car.
Am not going to let that happen to the old Gal.

As you may know, I do 60/61 Starliner builds and I constantly run into a similar problem. I can get a complete car in that will have the most desirable options on it and I go to great pains to keep it as original and invariable the person that purchases it will remove all that stuff and lower the car to the ground and a lot of the good parts get scraped. Or sold back to me to put on a car that did not come with them from the factory.
Pitiful, just pitiful.

Sad but just the way it is today.
Sad but true. That's what I've go to keep from happening to Ms. American.

The only thing that I really have going is that I know something that will be alright will eventually turn up. Am just going to keep a good attitude and hopefully everything will turn out alright.

Will just have to wait and see.
What will be will be.
Time will tell.
Be well.
JC

Scott...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh hem..... Um, The gorgeous Mrs. American P.I. should be cleaned up and interior'ized and painted and driven. Period. She need a good loving home.
Hey Gary,
She DOES need to be fixed up and be given a good home.

I would be very sad if she sat on blocks/jack stands for the next ten or 14 years.
That is what I am trying to keep from happening to her.

You should do what's in your heart to do with her since I cannot dream of her being anywhere but with you or with me, and since I cannot dream her into my driveway and FM BBQ bashes. Maybe you should keep her until the end and be interred in her :).
Now THAT'S what I'd call "living"! :)

Or will me the car and your ashes and the 4 of us (Karen you Mrs P.I. and I) can hang out and go to BBQ's and car show and fishing and take vacations etc... :)
Am afraid the "ashes" part of this is out of the question because the physical part of "me" is being donated to medical research seeing as to how this liver issue is quite rare in humans of the male gender. But the rest of your scenario is most definitely a possibility, and if anyone could pull THAT off, it would be YOU.

How does that sound?
What will be will be.
Time will tell.
Be well.
JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to witness a vusic show of yours.
Hey Gary,
Millions have seen it. It is the one of the best ever. Hopefully this latest plan will finally make it possible for it to get the distribution that it deserves.

What will be will be.
Time will tell.
Be well.
JC

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Am afraid the "ashes" part of this is out of the question because the physical part of "me" is being donated to medical research seeing as to how this liver issue is quite rare in humans of the male gender.
JC
But my dear James, they're not going to need all of you ;) So go ahead and fry up a kidney or maybe a gall bladder or a leg.... You know, the fun parts :) I'll keep them in a Maxwell House coffee can :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
It is your car, and I can't imagine you without it. What is your gut feeling saying to you about it?

If it was me, I'd be keeping it until the right time comes. Leave it up on blocks.
It's like having an expensive painting or a stamp. You can always admire it. It will always be yours until it's time to move it on. And I don't think it's time just yet. :)
I agree 110% , Nothing else just go and sit in her.. Wish I had the means to make her and you right. I don't but PRAYERS are helpful I've found out.. we'll pray for y'all J C.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
But my dear James, they're not going to need all of you ;) So go ahead and fry up a kidney or maybe a gall bladder or a leg.... You know, the fun parts :) I'll keep them in a Maxwell House coffee can :)
I would keep some in a small box in the ASHTRAY of course. Duh. LOL

David

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But my dear James, they're not going to need all of you ;)
Hey Gary,
But from what I understand about this whole thing, they come and pick up the body, and what they do with it is completely up to them. They're mainly interested in the liver, but seeing as to how they are a "college of medicine", there's no telling WHAT they might do with the rest of it.

So go ahead and fry up a kidney or maybe a gall bladder or a leg.... You know, the fun parts :)
As I understand it, seeing as to how I'd pretty much be immobile, I wouldn't have much say in the matter.

I'll keep them in a Maxwell House coffee can :)
With a plastic lid?

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree 110% , Nothing else just go and sit in her.
Hey Lester,
It would be easier to just bring the front seat into the living room where I could sit on it without taking the plastic&tarp off of the old Gal!

Wish I had the means to make her and you right. I don't but PRAYERS are helpful I've found out.
They may not help, but a little prayer wouldn't hurt.

we'll pray for y'all J C.
Well, this isn't about me. This is about Ms. American.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would keep some in a small box
Hey David,
About the size of a match box?

in the ASHTRAY of course. Duh. LOL David
That'd be the first time for Ms. American to have ashes in the ashtray! No one in the family smoked!

JC

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Then it would be fitting to put some of your ashes in there, in a match box. But since there's no mobility after death, then it would be nearly impossible for you to sneak out a femur or an Achilles tendon...

I'm happy that science is getting you to study this issue. I am a donator also :) I hope they find out why I like moredoors when they study my brain :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Then it would be fitting to put some of your ashes in there, in a match box. But since there's no mobility after death, then it would be nearly impossible for you to sneak out a femur or an Achilles tendon...

I'm happy that science is getting you to study this issue. I am a donator also :) I hope they find out why I like moredoors when they study my brain :)
I'm a donor as well.
I like moredoors also .I guess because you don't have to get out to let the back seat passengers out or in..

·
Registered
977 Posts
You know what they say about great minds..
I'm looking for something small to put a 460 with a C6 in with out doing a lot of modifying on the front end.
I'd really like a 55 f 100 to make a farm truck

1 - 20 of 78 Posts