Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my Galaxie almost a year ago, I had every intention of a straight up restoration. Other than a 2V - 4V swap by the previous owner, it's a numbers matching car.

Disclaimer: This car has no sentimental value to me, it's a hobby and a possible investment.

There isn't anything special about it to make it appealing to a collector, so would I be doing myself a favor by making a few choice changes? Here's what I have in mind: power brakes, manual transmission, dual chamber brake master cylinder, and a dual quad setup (I like to dream big, and that means a 3x2 setup).

I've seen plenty of Mustangs that have the "resto-mod" title, and their value doesn't seem to be hurt. If it were a car I thought I'd have forever, I'd do whatever I wanted to it, but I'm still hoping for my dream classic car to fall into my lap (67 Cougar).

I'm not talking anything radical or anything that can't be undone (going from an automatic to manual and back would be a PITA though). Just looking for some thoughts before I begin locating and collecting parts.

David

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
My opinion is to first judge the collector value first. If it is a specific version that has high collector value, don't mess with it, and sell it to get one that isn't. Maybe that Cougar. If it is a nice car but not particularly special, then mods will not hurt, and often increase the value. Note some mods will not increase the value as much as it costs to do. Which it will do depends on the mods. If they are tasteful ones that most owners would want (like disc brakes), then it will add value. A row of off-road floodlights bolted on the roof, a fart can muffler tip, neon under-body lights or Dixie air horns on the hood... not so much.

David

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I would definitely go with the Dixie horns.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would definitely go with the Dixie horns.
I know, right? ;)

Thanks for your input... I'll just keep taking this car one step at a time. A lot will depend on a local junk dealer having a transmission at the right price

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts