Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, On my '72 Gran torino, the speedometer cable was in an unworking condition, no big deal, so i speed, go slow, whatever,... well i bought a replacement cable from AutoZone that the dude said would be easy to do by myself... hahaha i laugh because i get so damn confused with the other cable on my
C-6 .
Now to the advice and questions needed.. has anyone replaced one on their torino before? anyone who has please let all tips be posted. I can't seem to follow the cable from the firewall, to the tranny. On the right side on the tranny, there are two cables, both look the same... now i don't know which one is which, and to my knowledge, the speedometer cable goes down next to the engine, over the drivers side headers, and then dissappears...
someone please help me

·
Registered
116 Posts
There should be a 3/8 retainer nut holding the cable in at the REAR of the tranny (around the tailshaft). I can't place the two cables, unless you are thinking the cooler lines are cables.

BTW, these are wonderful cars and I would love to see a picture or two of your GTS.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I'm not exactally sure on your set-up, but my 68 and 70 Cougar goes like this. From the gauge, down thru the dr. foot area by the dimmer switch, then runs thru the frame rail (other one your looking at will be the emergency cable)then to the tranny. When the cable goes thru the floor, it will have a rubber sleeve to protect it from abrasions and a rubber grommet going thru the floor to keep it in place. The cable is held into the tranny by a small finger type clip with a 1/4" or 5/16" socket head.
Hope I helped.

Rick

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah they are the tranny coolant lines. Ok well today i took out the old, put in the new, but for some reason i seemed to have forgotten to put the gear off the old onto the new, and i was PO'ed cause it wouldn't work. Then my friend stop by to see what i was doing, and looked at the old cable, and pointed out how big of a fool i am and told me what to do. But i had to leave to go to a party so I'll finish tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help guys. I got it in sucessfully this morning. My brothers and sister were running aroudn the house looking for their easter baskets, and i'm outside at 8 am working on my car, then told my littlest brother to get my basket, cause i knew i had some Rain X in it.. hehe..
Ohh and another thing, i was driving earlier and it would appear that my speed is off, i was in a 35 and i was going "40" and people were going around me and it seemed like i was going 25-30 or everyone was speeding, and my wheels that i have on now are smaller then the wheels/tires that came with it, to my knowledge at least.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Smaller diameter tires makes the speedometer show faster than what you are actually going. and that other "cable" would be the shifter cable if you have column shift. trns is the trans code on your door tag.
Mike

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i'm not at home right now and probably won't intill the end of the week , i'll get back to you in this post when i get the info

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it says that the tranny is a code " U ", and i believe in my dearborn classics catalog, it says a C-6, i may be wrong, i lost my book , so...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts