Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of months I have really come to the conclusion that you all are quite the gearheads. I mean that in the best way. We all seem to enjoy working on our cars, the wifes / girlfriends (and hubby / boyfriends)vehicles. But what I want to know is has there been a tool you have designed to make your work easier. Years ago, some of the magazines use to have sections on solutions to problems like putting the nut you can't get to start on a piece of reddy-rod and start it that way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah...this isn't too impressive...great for the junk yards. I always carry the "Oh Sh*t" bar when going to the yards. Got a bolt thats super tight, makes ya go "Oh shi*t that things tight..." Heh...pull out the 3 foot long, 1" ID steel pipe and put it around the breaker bar and PRESTO...bolt better be 1/2 or thicker or it'll most likely snap..good for other uses though..always good to have a 3 foot length of pipe lying around.

Chris

Ps. This is really stupid story, but I'll share it anyway...on my mustang (66) it has the engine crossmember that is secured with some decent sized bolts into the frame. they were tighter then hell...so brought out the wd-40 and the "oh sh*t bar" and gave at em. those bolts are mounted upside down and I didn't think to switch it up...basically tightened the bolt with the 3 foot bar.
Abviously, the thing stripped right out. Thank goodness some ford engineer made the alloy of the bolt weaker than the alloy of the frame, stripped the bolt and not the frame. stoopid mistakes.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Years ago I was using my father's open end wrench and noticed the handle had a weld thru it. Knowing how he valued his tools, I asked what happened to this wrench. "Necessity is the mother of invention" he says. I needed to cut the end off in order to be able to fit the wrech on a bolt.
I now know Rube Goldberg.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I remember yrs ago, hitting the pawn shops to outfit a junk tool box for son. Looking through the bins and finding 1/2 wrenches, taped together. Now a days, you can buy those nice little stubby's.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
This is simple and I'm sure you've all done it but I'll share it anyways. Ever had a smallish bolt that's way too fricking tight to get with your basic open end/box end wrench? I'll often use the box end of a bigger wrench to slip over the open end of the wrench I'm trying to "wrench" with. This is often enough to gain the precious ft/lbs needed. The open end and the box end slip together and lock and viola, you have a longer wrench without going and buying a longer wrench! The 3' cheater bar is good, but there isn't always room for such things. The old second wrench cheater is crude yet effective. Much like how I operate in real life.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
My best one is for pain in the ass header bolts. They are too close to the fenders to get a socket w/ an allen on it so I use a gearwrench with a 3/4 inch long piece of allen wrench with one end flattened so it wont fall out.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I worked at a heavy duty equipment shop for my apprentice and we worked on rail trucks (kind that drive on the tracks and street), and the hyraulic were behind the back seat and bolted in from the back side between the cab and box. They always needed new seals and the only way the guys worked on them was to take the box off. I made a tool at home for them, I mean me, I always got the crap jobs. I cut the lug nut socket part off a long tire iron and welded a socket on. It worked awesome, the guys at work were pissed cuz it meant they could change them easy now, so it was my job to stand there holding the tire iron on the nut while the guy inside the cab was un-doing the bolts. I ended up making afew more for the shop. That's my only invention to date. I dont work there any more, but they still use it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm all the time modifying tools for something. Custon flare wrench for a Tempo rack, header wrenches... Now it's oil pans, engine mounts, computers... wife thinks she's next, Mmmmmmm

·
Registered
166 Posts
i not only have the 3 foor pipe, but mostly use a 18" long peice of electrical conduet pipe for most things, . i've been know to use a 10 foot long pipe from time to time as well. broke a lot of scokets with that.

as far as tools go, i use a old bike wheel with the tire off to bend brake line and stuff like that. makes a nice even bend, wraped around the wheel.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bringing this thread back to life because many of us, at some time, has wished that certain wrench or tool that would just make that 1 bolt easier to deal with.

This topic started....omg, yrs ago and just thought it may be fun

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Last week I stripped out a secure torx head screw. It was in a tight area but I could just fit a mini dremel-type circular saw blade in there and saw a slot through the top of the head.

Even though I had gotten this idea off the interweb, I felt quite smart as I removed the screw with a regular slotted screwdriver.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Some of you may remember the distributor wrench (as seen at top of the photos):

The "wrench" on the bottom was inspired by its shape/function and used for a different purpose. It was made from a chopped 9/16" combination wrench and a 3" socket extension. The bends on the wrench are precisely located. The welding isn't the best, but it was built on the fly during a moment of intense frustration.

I use this wrench to loosen and tighten the Z bar frame pivot bracket bolts on my GT. It gets inserted in the tight area between the apron and the steering column and can reach both bolts with the help of a long extension and ratchet. Since they cannot be reached from the header side (big motor with 1 3/4" headers) this wrench is practically a necessity since it saves me over an hour of cussing, complaining, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts