Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

the one that got away...

14K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  oldmanfirstcar 
#1 · (Edited)
everyone has a story about the car they wish they still had...
tell us about yours...
i'll start...
my first car was a 65 falcon hardtop, and i still have it... there's a thread on this forum that i started to show what i've been doing to get the car back on the road...
but this is the one that got away >
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

all i have left it the license plate :-(

i was 19 when i bought the 65 hardtop, 23 when my newly wed wife & i bought the 70-1/2 2 dr sedan...
sold it mid-70s after the arab embargo and two babies came along...

it was a special order > 370hp 429 cobra, 4 speed hurst, limited slip diff, no power of any kind...
(which was kinda bummer during houston summers)...

in the era of muscle cars with stripes, emblems, etc, this car had nothing, as plain as they came...
heh, except for the license plate... wife & i got a chuckle when we picked the car up from the dealer...
had so much fun surprising other muscle cars of the day by keeping up with them...
(well, except the hemi cuda ;-)

so yeah, thats the one that got away for me, what's yours?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
We had a 66 convertible mustang when I was a kid. Powder blue. Pony interior. AC. Automatic. We sold it to get a new horse trailer when I was in Jr high and just getting interested in cars. We sold it to a girl I liked. She and her dad were going to swap a 5.0 into it. This was mid 90s so that was just becoming a thing. Never did see it again.

I have a 66 coupe GT now, among others, but the 66 will also a special place in my heart.

#3 ·
Two. My first car, a 1958 Edsel Citation 2-dr hardtop. Bought it for $595 in '63. It was MINT. Had clear plastic seat covers since new, so no one had sat on the actual upholstery. Got accordioned in 64 and insurance totaled it. Said they couldn't get parts to repair. Then a 67 Mercury Cyclone GT. Put in a hotter cam and solids, and then couldn't afford the gas as a college student.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

#4 ·
My "One that got away" was a 63 Galaxie 500XL, 406 Tripower, 4 speed, 4.11 rear. Ordered it new from the factory and it arrived at the dealership about 3 weeks before the 427's were announced. I couldn't afford to keep it very long as it was my daily driver. Gas was cheap back in 63 but with a 406 and 4.11 gears it took a lot of it. Several of my friends ordered new 427 Galaxies and we ended up trying out each other. My 406 was able to beat several of the 427s (due to the 4.11), and a lot of 409/425 hp Chevy Impalas. I would love to have another correct 406 like that to go with the 63 1/2 427 that I currently have. The red fastback it my current 427 (a real 30K mile survivor).
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Land vehicle

#15 ·
I've have over 200 vehicles in my life so there's more than a few that I wish I had not said goodbye to but here is a short list. Rust free 61 2 door Falcon, 66 hardtop Fairlane, 68 Fairlane hardtop, 71 and a 72 Torino two door hardtop, I sold the 71 after two weeks because of the effect it had on my drivers license lol. There have been many more but I tend to hold on to vehicles now one project car I've had for 35 years and the other 22, even my driver I've had for 11 years.

#16 ·
whoa, thats a lot of cars...
my old age menory is still pretty good so far (we've had maybe 20 vehicles or so),,,
but 200+ would just make my memory hurt :)

i especially liked your comment
"sold the 71 after two weeks because of the effect it had on my drivers license lol"

i sold my 429 because >
(1) the car loved to race, but we had babies to take care of, and i didnt wanta get wiped out racing around houston streets...
(2) the car loved to drink gas, but then arab embargo sent gas fro 36cents/gallon to over 75cents :cool:

#17 ·
had a '72 Chevelle when I was stationed in Fayetteville NC. Car was like a cop magnet. I swear I could wallpaper at least one wall with all the tickets I got in that thing. I gave the car to my brother, he went all through the car, it was beautiful and then some asswipe stole it from the supposedly secured parking lot where he worked.

#18 ·
I have a list of them
1958 Ford Courier - It was a 2 door sedan delivery blue and white. rusty Connecticut car
1957 Mercury Monterey - had the car but never got the title, it became an investment in education to always get the paper!
1962 Mercury Monterey - 390 - rebuilt the motor, bought a C-6 and made the cross member, baby girl showed up and it was game over for that
1968 Mercury Montego wagon - 302 motor, really great shape. that would be so cool today

#21 ·
Since i've owned my Falcon (first car), I've had it up for sale 3 different times for a total of 5 days. The last time, which was a long time ago at this point, was for 1 day. I'd see it parked out at my parents house on a busy road and think "if it's not gone by the end of the day, I guess I'll just keep it". Growing up, I would always hear horror stories from my parents friends about how they wished they'd never sold their _. I guess that's why I put so much effort into trying to sell the Falcon, lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.