Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have been searching for a new front seat for my 65 4 speed car. Buckets are rare and expensive so I am looking at a bench seat. A 'Ford guy" in my area says he has the proper bench for my car. He describes it as having a cut out area in the center front edge. He says that this cove shaped area is proper because of the 4 speed shifter. However I haven't found any pics of this in restored 65 Falcons.
What do you guys think??

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just viewed the entire seat section in my factory parts manual for 60 - 68 Ford Falcon, Fairlaine, Thunderbird, Mustang, and Bronco and didn't see any front cut out offered as stock or an option. The only odd seat option I saw was for a front bench seat in a Mustang. And the only cut outs were for clearing the transmission hump. Nothing in the front edge. Maybe what he means by "proper" is that it will fit the Falcon with out modifications to the mounts. I understand his reasoning about the "cove" area, but I don't think it was ever a factory option or feature on the Falcon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
They never had cut outs . I had a 65 and i still have a 64 with bench seats. both futura hardtops. My 64 i bought new with the floor shifter,it clears the seat . The transmissions had the shifter mounted allmost on top of the reverse leaver if it was a t/10 or dagenham. Ford trany had a better fit, not on the rear of the tail shaft housing like a mustang and some of the other fords. It could be you have the shifter in the wrong location. I just got though looking at a thread here that shows the right location, so look around and you can see it. The floor pan was red with the correct cover.............I just checked, look at 'comet 4 speed' and 'midnightspeacials' car with the ford trany which fits better than the t-10. It locates the shifter in the right spot and won't hit a bench seat.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I agree...no "cut out" was never stock, not needed, the T10 shifter IS forward compared to the Mustang..and they did not change that even if it were buckets, or Bench..here is my 64 Spint....

They never had cut outs . I had a 65 and i still have a 64 with bench seats. both futura hardtops. My 64 i bought new with the floor shifter,it clears the seat . The transmissions had the shifter mounted allmost on top of the reverse leaver if it was a t/10 or dagenham. Ford trany had a better fit, not on the rear of the tail shaft housing like a mustang and some of the other fords. It could be you have the shifter in the wrong location. I just got though looking at a thread here that shows the right location, so look around and you can see it. The floor pan was red with the correct cover.............I just checked, look at 'comet 4 speed' and 'midnightspeacials' car with the ford trany which fits better than the t-10. It locates the shifter in the right spot and won't hit a bench seat.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree...no "cut out" was never stock, not needed, the T10 shifter IS forward compared to the Mustang..and they did not change that even if it were buckets, or Bench..here is my 64 Spint....

Yes right on,shifter location same as mine with bench seat and i know it was correct,like i said "bought it new in 1964" .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Dale,
Did you ever find your proper bench seat?
I think I might have it in my 64 Ranchero.
Because its sure not the right one for me. Minehas a built in ashtray in the top middle behind the seat.....

You would be surprised at how seldom I have passengers in the back seat of my Ranchero....and none of them have asked to smoke...Lol

Bill H.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dale,
Because its sure not the right one for me. Minehas a built in ashtray in the top middle behind the seat.....

You would be surprised at how seldom I have passengers in the back seat of my Ranchero....and none of them have asked to smoke...Lol

Bill H.
No I didn't find the proper one. I bought a 69 fastback Mustang with low backs. I removed the headrest and installed them in the Falcon. Then I sold the Falcon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Dale,

Bill H.
That's for little smokers,L.O.L. Sounds like you may have a 4-door sedan or station wagon seat. I think when they were new you could get a full back,split back or bucket seats. I have seen all of them used, but no ash trays ,he,he.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts