Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ragtop is on the road finally! runs great!..Now, what is the trick to instaling an export brace?

I've tried this briefly before. I suppose you have to jack up all pr part of the car to get tem to fit....Whats the easiest way to do this??? I'm putting on a monte carlo bar also... thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
The ragtop is on the road finally! runs great!..Now, what is the trick to instaling an export brace?

I can never remember which bar/brace is located where. But assume the bar that goes between the shock towers does not fit directly (the shock towers have moved inwards.)

jacking up the car with a jack under the front cross member will separate the towers a little and may be enough. otherwise you can use a jack and appropriate extensions to separate them. Install the bar going between the fender skirts first to hold everything at the proper location. Install the mounting bolts loosly. Then remove the shocks from their top mountings and the mountings themselves. Remove the old braces and discard. (For extra room you can then remove the shock tower brace fittings by cutting out the spot welds. Do it as it gives lots more unimpeded space.) The new brace then fits over the shock mount bolts. You may have to do some work with the jack to adjust the spacing to fit. Then reinstall the shock mounts and the shocks. You're done and you will like the added stiffness yo get.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Are you saying that I should put the monte carlo bar on first??

·
Registered
14 Posts

I recommend you rent a port-a-power tool to spread your shock towers with. It's the ideal tool for jacking apart your shock towers. I rented one when I installed my export brace and didn't regret it. After I had my shock towers jacked apart to match the width of my export brace, I started the six shock tower bolts then stuck a big screwdriver through the export brace into its matching hole in the firewall, then pulled on the screwdriver to line up those holes and start the bolts. Tighten everything down then lastly, remove the port-a-power. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts