Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’m totally exhausted after spending almost the whole day dropping in the 351W, C4 and hooker #6208 headers into “project sleeper”. I have run into a few snags.

I didn’t have any help today except for the GF who helped out quite well with tools and raising and lowering the engine and stuff. I have the C4 in position AWA the engine but the hookers are giving me a very hard time in fitting up to the heads. I ended up having the pull the engine out like 4 times to do some firewall redesigning and some shock tower modding on the driver’s side with the BFH but I still have problems with them hitting the firewall. It was getting late and I’ve had enough (started at 9 am stopped just before 7pm) so I will continue this next weekend (hope to have some help then)

I couldn’t even get the tranny to mate up to the engine as it was very difficult to try to push the tranny up towards it. Basically right now the engine is in with the tranny (an inch or so separates them) and the hookers are just in position although they hit the firewall when I try to line them up with the heads. Stay tuned as I will try to overcome this situation next weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
The break will do you good, it's amazing how that works. Tackel it another day and it just might slide right in and bolt right up. Good luck next weekend.

Rick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,758 Posts
Yeah, if you had more help, that would be a plus.
Did you do any mocking up of the different parts at any point in this setup?
Personally I'd (if possible on that setup), I"d bolt up the trans to the motor, (bellhousing only if you could), and/or if you had another C4 laying around, gutted out, with just the bellhousing on it, main section, and tailstock, then bolt all that in place, (along with the motor mounts). (or at least laying on the motor mounts).
Then I'd (depending on what state of assembly the engine is in.......I'm assuming all together).......I'd mess with the headers.
Take many measurements, (marking spots with scribes or markers), and modify/tweak/smash/whatever for the necessary clearance.
The reason for this is such: If the engine is sitting more forward/side to side/not level/more up in the front, (angle wise), (that's why the trans and crossmember get bolted in, so you know how the engine actually sits in there), that will give you GOBS of problems with header fitment. Been there, done that.........
I mock up everything. I don't care if it's something as simple as a little bracket. Mess with it until it falls into place. Then if you have to fight it while it's in there, the mods will be mininal (hopefully).
If you have to go about it backwards, (although this doesn't work as well as the aforementioned method), and do the 'just the engine in place;, check for header fitment, then you can kind of get a baseline for header alignment, but then again, you're not exactly where they're going to be.

Sorry for being so long............hope any of this helped..............

Mock/mock/mock, then put it together just for fun, then when you're ready to really assemble it, it's like you could do it in the dark, blindfolded..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the encouraging words guys. I know I will get this situation solved for sure by next weekend. I have my help lined up and also have some backup in case some people can't make it over to help.

I've done all the homework I possibly can before putting the engine in with the headers, but remember these headers I'm using aren't made for this car (6208 headers are made for 351W swaps into 65-70 Mustangs) so in a way I'm taking a chance. I have to say that the pass. header actually fits pretty well (this was the side I thought I would have problems with as it is tighter here vs. the driver's side), I think that with a little more bashing on the firewall I will be able to push the header back enough to line up the bolt holes on the heads.

The driver's side is the side giving me the most problems. I've lowered the PS cylinder with the special bracket that these cars need to run headers but again the header tube for #8 cyl. hits the firewall and #7 header tube touches the shock tower so those are the areas I've been using the BFH on to try to make the header fit. I've not dented the header tubes in any way although they've been scratched up pretty good (I plan to get them coated when the stage 2 engine goes in so no big deal)

The success of this project depends on the headers fitting in this car. It would be useless for me to even think about building the stage 2 motor if I have to run manifolds. (I saved them and have them ready to go in case I need to use them........plan B........a plan I DO NOT wish to have to go with to get "project sleeper" rolling with V8 power)

My friend say it best........ 3 words he lives by when modding a vehicle ......... MODIFY, ADAPT, OVERCOME........ and my Granada will be rolling soon with LT's and dual exhaust in anticipation of the stage 2 engine sitting between the shock towers!!!!!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top