Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Do you guys think that this combo could get my 4000 lb torino into the 13's?

351c 4v CC heads 9.5:1
comp 270s cam 224 @ .05" and .540" lift 1800-5800 powerband
750VS or 750DP carb
Would a rpm intake work or will it just rob power with 4v heads?
3000 stall c6 with shift kit
4.11 nine inch detroit locker
28" tires
harland sharp roller rockers
hooker 1 3/4" headers and 2 1/2" flowmasters

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
With a good 60ft I think it could.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 11/8/06 8:30am ]</font>

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of 60ft do you think this build is capable of?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Didn't we all have this discussion a few weeks ago? We've already answered all your questions. I'm sorry but just follow the advice we ALREADY gave you in your post about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry to everyone I keep changing my mind on what I wanna do and I just wanna make sure I have this whole build thought out. Didn't mean to annoy anyone!!

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
have a good look around online and checkout all the other 4v builds youll find,then just go for it,remember youll have to put the power to the ground,thats what im playing around with at the moment-abit of trial and error...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
No chance. Maybe 14.60's.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I believe the RPM intakes are all for 2V heads.
Blue thunder intake would probably work best. A Performer4v would probably ET better considering the massive weight.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Why not just buy a nitrous kit? Then, you WILL be in the 13's.
I have a NOS sniper kit I'm willing to sell(brand new in box) with bottle warmer and purge.
Drop me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would consider running nitrous but I do not have forged pistons.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Regardless of what people say, you CAN run 100 shot of nitrous on hyper pistons. You just have to be more careful with them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Dude....please....just pick an engine and BUILD IT. Copy a known good running build and BUILD IT....

All of this bench building, while it may be fun, is going to cost you a bunch of money in mismatched components.

JUST BUILD A DAMN ENGINE ALREADY!!!!! LOL......

By the way, if you're hoping to be satisfied with the power to weight ratio of a giant car with a small engine, well, be prepared for disappointment.

And I'd like to see a guy who runs a 100 shot on his hyper piston street engine for two years or more. I am sure someone is doing it, but then again lots of people do all kinds of weird stuff that works. Take the 80 year old smokers for example.

Greg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
And I'd like to see a guy who runs a 100 shot on his hyper piston street engine for two years or more. I am sure someone is doing it, but then again lots of people do all kinds of weird stuff that works. Take the 80 year old smokers for example.

Greg
If you're looking for an argument about if hyper pistons can handle nitrous or not or for how long, you're NOT going to get one. I already know the answer and have seen PLENTY of people doing it at the track. It's all in the tune. If you know what do look for and how to use nitrous, you can run hypers on nitrous for years. The inexperience people or just plain ignorant, are the ones that gernade their pistons and wonder why. That's how you get people saying crap like "OH...you can't run nitrous with hypers" and then believe it's gospel.
Just like customs cams...all of a sudden off the shelf cams aren't good anymore and the only way to go is custom.....PLEASE!

·
Registered
908 Posts
On 2006-11-09 12:45, 82GT wrote:

Greg
If you're looking for an argument about if hyper pistons can handle nitrous or not or for how long, you're NOT going to get one. I already know the answer and have seen PLENTY of people doing it at the track. It's all in the tune. If you know what do look for and how to use nitrous, you can run hypers on nitrous for years. The inexperience people or just plain ignorant, are the ones that gernade their pistons and wonder why. That's how you get people saying crap like "OH...you can't run nitrous with hypers" and then believe it's gospel.
Just like customs cams...all of a sudden off the shelf cams aren't good anymore and the only way to go is custom.....PLEASE!
Take a look at this fellows questions and determine for yourself if he needs to be spraying hypers.

Or spraying period!

Greg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ok...I see your point...LOL

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-11-09 12:59, GregP wrote:

Take a look at this fellows questions and determine for yourself if he needs to be spraying hypers.

Or spraying period!

Greg
Mhmm, yep. I agree.

Also, the custom cam thing lol. Will an off the shelf work? Mhmm, yep. Will it work the best for your particular combination of parts, car, drivetrain, usage, and all those other variables?

Probably effing not.

Unless you're a whole lot luckier than I am. I'm not a stupid person, and I can pick a cam from off the shelf that WILL work like I want it to. Can I pick one better than a guy who makes it his whole damn business to design cams around specific combinations who has programs and formula's and information I would take weeks to understand, much less fully grasp and apply?

Probably effing not.

So, if you're satisfied with good horsepower, without good economy, or ok horsepower with great torque, or 'acceptable' horsepower and torque, etc etc, use an off the shelf, by all means. If you want the best of all possible worlds out of your combination and intended usage. The answer is obvious.

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Oh one other thing...custom cams can be used to help bandaid poor part choices or combinations as well. This is another reason why the 'custom' cam thing is thrown about so much. Often it's cheaper to buy a cam than replace your heads, pistons (compression) etc etc etc.

Something to think about.

Cris

·
Registered
908 Posts
Agree wholeheartedly, Cris.....

The decision to get a custom cam (for the same price as a shelf cam) depends on how much you're willing to settle for in the power department.

When a person just wants the car to "sound lumpy", a shelf cam is cool. If the same guy decides he wants a moderate HP increase, a shelf cam is cool, but proper selection is important.

When that guy decides that he wants his combo to really perform in the above average category, it is time for a custom cam that is tailored to the entire engine package. From air cleaner to exhaust, and from the crankshaft back to the wheels, all of the variables can be taken into account in the cam design.

The common consensus in my case was that I needed a solid roller cam to get my car to perform. After talking it over with a cam guru I trusted, a solid flat tappet is what has gotten my Torino in to the low 11's in the 1/4 (11.04 @ 122) and high 6.90's in the 1/8 (6.96 @ 9

The cam selected also allows me to run my A/C, idle in traffic, and enjoy a mild stall (3500 ish rpm) and rear gear (3.89).

My belief is that proper cam selection is critical, so critical that a custom cam will always be in my engines.

Greg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts