Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running Shelby Tri-Y's which have 1 1/2" primaries and I am thinking of going to some Hooker Super Comps. My birthday is coming up and I have been drooling over these for awhile and the ceramic coated ones are really pretty. I am wondering how much I would gain over my Tri-Y's and if I would hurt my low end on the street too much. I really would like some more top end on the track and I feel my current headers are holding me back. I have a pretty decent free flowing mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust w/ an x-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. The motor is pushing a lot of air and fuel with the blower so that is a consideration for getting these headers. Any thoughts? I'm just a country doctor, damnit! -Mike

·
Registered
333 Posts
My suggestions is " Go for it!".....tri-ys help with low end torque....you have a blower which is a low end torque generator. Bigger headers should help with the high end breathing as well as the low end.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've gotta believe the Hooker Headers would help across the board over the Tri Y's. It looks like that is the biggest bottleneck in your combo right now. 1 1/2" primaries are too small for a 331 stroker much less a blown 331.
I run the Hooker Comps on my 347 and really like them. I just wish I had them ceramic coated.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Give it to Mikey, he won't eat it. He's eating it - Mikey, likes it!

I have always liked that commercial. If you don't try something new; you'll never find out find out how much you have developed.

You did the research, you compared it to your current build and your theory seems to be reasonable - what's not to like?

The only thing that kind of sticks out is blowers/superchargers are not as affected by less than perfect exhaust as naturally aspirated engines. Having a big air pump to force the bad air out, covers up a lot of engine building flaws. Given that point of view - I still think it will free up the potential bottle-neck by running low/midrange enhancing headers on an engine that should have that in abundance, courtesy of the blower. The blower makes the engine act like a much bigger motor. If you are running 5-7lbs of boost...that makes the engine act like it is 50% bigger. Do you think 1 1/2 primary headers are enough for a 400 ~ 500 hp engine?

Try it ... You'll like it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i agree with torino 501. i did ALOT of research on headers before i bought some. i talked with head eddlebrock head people, weind blower people etc.. i will be runing a 331 with a blower. if you aint running 1 3/4" long tube you aint getting all the power out of it. . period. with boos from a roots blower you need all the exhaust you can get OUT. no one makes 1 3/4" for a sbf in a f100 truck. which is what i have. did however find some dirt track headers to fit fox body mustang with a camaro front clip @[email protected]# if you can beleive it and they fit my truck. from SHOENFELD headers in arkansas. killer headers and cheap.

ebven with 1 5/8 you will not get al the exhaust gases out necessary to run full performance. with a blower a lot of the normal rules go away,. i learned you get even better power with a limited duration cam with largeer lift on the exhaust side. i wil lbe running a lunati toller 272/279dur 575/594 lift on exhaust . my truck will be a daily driver.

i went as far as to enlargen my exhaust valve from 1.6- to 1.65 (lrgest that would fit.) i will be runing 1 3/4 full length into 3 1/2" collecer reduced to 3" with a modern type ball/socket flange like new mustangs (i got from summit), will be running 3" pipes into dynomax bullets (2per side for noise) that have 3" ins and outs. i talked to a bunch of people who know there **** and they all agreed on this set up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ps: bull ****** on beowolfs comments. blowers are sure as hell affected by small exhaust more so than naturally aspirated engines. what dont matter as much is the intake side. i wil lactually be running a custom bilt holley 650 and i was told by weind, holley, lunati, my engine builder and my carb builder, dont waste time even fooling with the intake side of the heads. the fuel will get in there. getting it out is the bottleneck.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was talking to a good friend of mine and he agrees with what you said too. I think the 3" exhaust w/ the Dynomax Bullets is probably where I will be headed with the rest of my exhaust system also. Now if I can just wait long enough for that refund check from the IRS. -Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts