Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
So I've been thinking a lot on my whole motor situation, with all the problems that I've had with the 393 and so on, and I'm leaning towards getting a keith craft 408 crate motor.

Not only would it be a better motor, but I'd have the piece of mind that it would be dyno'd, tested and broken in before I even got it. Has anyone here ever dealt with him? If so, how was the whole transaction? Also, is there any kind of warranty on a motor from him?

I'm looking at the 408-500hp/500torque motor. There's one thing I need to look at with regards to my custom fpa headers; I need to make sure they will bolt up to the afr 185 heads. The afr 205 heads have the dual bolt pattern for headers and I don't think the 185's do. My fpa's were built with the bigger bolt pattern, so would this just be a matter of drilling and tapping a set of wider holes?

Also, I'm going to need a new flywheel as the entire assembly would get balanced, so I'm wondering If I should just get an entire ram setup? I believe this is the brand he sells?

Another thing I like about his crate motors... they all have roller cams. He mentioned to me earlier that they are better for power and driveability... One crappy thing about where I live is that we have emission testing and the car must pass in order to get insurance, so passing this test would be something I might have to look at.

So I'm planning on calling him today and finding out the scoop, how long it takes, how much, shipping etc...

With any luck I'm hoping to have the crate motor in for this year and have it back on the road hopefully with no problems...
but we shall see

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
I looked back a little thru your posts. It look frustrating as hell. I think most of us have been there.When I dropped my driveshaft I didn't even look at the car for a month. Then when I did, I saw how much damage was done and walked away again for 3 weeks. To me it looks as if maybe you need to find a good machine shop. Mostly parts are parts. It's human error that causes alot of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've read good things about his stuff, but no personal experience.

FWIW, ask around if you have a competent engine builder local. You may be surprised (I was). I was looking at the KC crates also. Nothing against his or any other crate motor, but EVERYONE makes mistakes eventually. I'd hate to have to ship a motor back to have a problem diagnosed.

185's on a 408? Nah.. Way too conservatitve. I'd go with 205 or 225's with that size motor. These heads will still make lots of torque low with the right cam. You also get the larger bolt pattern for your headers. Loosing torque with too big a head only happens with the wrong cam and a large head.

Do a search on Buddy Rawls, Ed Curtis and Jay Allen. Have one of these guys grind a cam that will work with your heads and send it to KC when they build your motor (If you go that route). A cam grinder will ensure the motor runs how you want it to rather than a cookie cutter approach. Custom cams are based off your cars weight, gearing, dispalcement, trans, etc.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
KC does good stuff. I have three freinds with their motors and all of them run better than comparable builds from other guys. PM allenman as I believe his is a 418 CU KiethCraft motor and it made 622HP.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'm looking at doing that actually...
Trying to figure out what I'd like to get and if I want to deal with shipping etc
I'm located in Sumas, WA

Tom

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
...One crappy thing about where I live is that we have emission testing and the car must pass in order to get insurance, so passing this test would be something I might have to look at.
Whaaaaaaaaaat?????? Is this a requirement from the insurance company? If so, find a different one.

I'm in Oregon and have never heard that a 40 year old car has to pass state emissions in Washington.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I'm from British Columbia Canada and have everything shipped from Sumas Washington...We have this stupid air care program, yes it has helped reduce emissions and everything but it sucks for the older cars.

New plans, looks like I'm going to try and fix the 393 and save up for a house. They don't seem to be coming down in price at all, so I figure if I want to get into one the sooner the better.

I guess that means no mods for car in a while.

Tom

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yah... hahah, that would be the easy way out for sure..
Luckily I don't have tie down yet lol

·
Subscriber
9 Posts
I'd live out of that car b/f I sold it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts