Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

This will be only my 2nd Ford. My 1st was an 81 F150 with the 300 6. It sort of did what I needed it to do till it rusted into a pile on my driveway. Im looking at a 66 coupe with the 200 6 and a auto. Its here in Mn so it has some rust issues.

I tried searching topics and didnt come up with much so I glanced at the first 10 pages or so and didnt see what I was looking for so if my questions have already been answerd feel free to link to the topics or teach me how to make the seach work better.

Question 1: How much rust is too much as far as being a safe car to drive? I see that you can buy almost every body part so I assume you can build a whole car if you wanted to but what Im asking is where is the line or what areas are a safety issue. The front floors are gone in this thing.

On the drivers side the front rail that wraps around the fire wall is in good shape in the front and aound the bend but may be a bit thin at the end under where the floor used to be. The frame part under the door has some small holes where the floor used to be but other than that seems solid. The rear rail that wraps up the back seat has some rust on the curve part but im not sure if its surface or not.

Pass side front frame part looks like it may be starting to rust at the bottom of the curve up the firewall. Side and rear rails look good.

Shock towers look good as do the spring mounts in the rear. All the trunk looks good. Doors are still solid and the gaps are pretty close.

#2 Any downside to the 6 cyl car? I see that it has the 4 bolt wheels so I assume there are limited aftermarket wheels and such for those and I dont want to 600 HP drag car with them but would I be ok putting a 250hp ish 302 in there someday?

I also read that the 200 has a differnt transmission than the V8's is that true?

#3 If I upgrade to the newer dura spark ign system what do I need to change? I assume plugs or at least the gap? Coil? Wires? From the pics the caps look the same but they could be stock pictures. I was using a 77 maverick to get the duraspark part numbers.

Thanks

TJ

StPaul/Mpls MN

·
Registered
343 Posts
The 6 banger did not have nearly the stopping power or the front suspension that the 289 cars had. As long as you are not planning on swapping a V8 into it you will be fine. If you want to swap the engine to a 289/302/351, you will have to do a lot of front end work. Since you said you were thinking about swapping a 302 into it later I would look for a V8 car to begin with, it will be a lot less trouble.

The newer ignition systems definately help how the car drives and helps gas milage. Unless you are going to make a show car of it that is definately a good idea.

If the frame rails have holes rusted through them, I would look for another car, but I have spent most of my life in the deep south. Down here you dont have nearly as many rust problems unless you are on the coast.

Too bad you aren't further south. Unfortunately finnaces having my 66 coupe up for sale (Huntsville, AL) freshened 289 with headers an dual exhaust, some suspension improvement, subframe connectors, and only a couple spots of surface rust from where it sat for a while.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-08-23 06:34, Fordconvert wrote:
Hi all!

This will be only my 2nd Ford. My 1st was an 81 F150 with the 300 6. It sort of did what I needed it to do till it rusted into a pile on my driveway. Im looking at a 66 coupe with the 200 6 and a auto. Its here in Mn so it has some rust issues.

I tried searching topics and didnt come up with much so I glanced at the first 10 pages or so and didnt see what I was looking for so if my questions have already been answerd feel free to link to the topics or teach me how to make the seach work better.

Watch out for the dreaded cowl rot. This is a complicated repair and expenssive if you have to pay someone to fix it.

Just google "cowl repair vintage Mustang" and you'll get a few hits.

Question 1: How much rust is too much as far as being a safe car to drive? I see that you can buy almost every body part so I assume you can build a whole car if you wanted to but what Im asking is where is the line or what areas are a safety issue. The front floors are gone in this thing.

Anything can be fixed but how much you can do yourself and how well you can do it is the main factor, that and how deep are your pockets.

On the drivers side the front rail that wraps around the fire wall is in good shape in the front and aound the bend but may be a bit thin at the end under where the floor used to be. The frame part under the door has some small holes where the floor used to be but other than that seems solid. The rear rail that wraps up the back seat has some rust on the curve part but im not sure if its surface or not.

Pass side front frame part looks like it may be starting to rust at the bottom of the curve up the firewall. Side and rear rails look good.

Shock towers look good as do the spring mounts in the rear. All the trunk looks good. Doors are still solid and the gaps are pretty close.

#2 Any downside to the 6 cyl car? I see that it has the 4 bolt wheels so I assume there are limited aftermarket wheels and such for those and I dont want to 600 HP drag car with them but would I be ok putting a 250hp ish 302 in there someday?

I also read that the 200 has a differnt transmission than the V8's is that true?

It will be a C4 just set up to fit the 6 cyl ( bell and torque converter)

#3 If I upgrade to the newer dura spark ign system what do I need to change? I assume plugs or at least the gap? Coil? Wires? From the pics the caps look the same but they could be stock pictures. I was using a 77 maverick to get the duraspark part numbers.

Distributor, cap, wires, box and wiring is all you need and regap your plugs.

Stu

Thanks

TJ

StPaul/Mpls MN

·
Registered
76 Posts
They both had C4 Autos. If you're putting a 302 in you have to use 5-lugs, do some brake work, front end work, suspension... go with a V8 car. I've got a 200 in my Mustang and I loooove it. There are a lot of high performance options for the straight 6s and you'll love the difference between a V8 and the 6. It's a lot more fun. With the duraspark you need the distributor, a GM ignition module, a coil, and the correct wiring diagram. A bigger plug wire will be a definite plus. You won't be able to drop a 302 right in and go, especially with that much rust. If you find a good 6 cylinder car, use the 6! You'll love it. I can't think of a downside, and the 6ers run forever. You can't beat 'em. They're powerhouses. But I'm biased. Here's a better site for the 6, and some great people on there. www.fordsix.com Good luck! I'd go farther than where you're from, find a better car, and drive it home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I did pick up the car cheap. It has rust issues but I figure I will learn and practice on this one and keep an eye out for a better one.

One thing I want to do is convert to disc brakes. The car already has 5 lug wheels. How do I figure out what kit I need to buy? I want to go the kit route because there are not many of those older fords layin in the yards around here. I plan to keep the stock 14" steel wheels. Also thinking of going power as long as Im spending money.

Also the parts books show the I6 muffler mounted sideways with the in and out on same side. This car has it inline under the back seat. Is this a hack with V8 parts?

Thanks!

TJ H
StPaul/Mpls MN USA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fordconvert on 8/27/06 10:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-08-26 19:54, Fordconvert wrote:
Thanks for the info. I did pick up the car cheap. It has rust issues but I figure I will learn and practice on this one and keep an eye out for a better one.

One thing I want to do is convert to disc brakes. The car already has 5 lug wheels. How do I figure out what kit I need to buy? I want to go the kit route because there are not many of those older fords layin in the yards around here. I plan to keep the stock 14" steel wheels. Also thinking of going power as long as Im spending money.

Also the parts books show the I6 muffler mounted sideways with the in and out on same side. This car has it inline under the back seat. Is this a hack with V8 parts?

Thanks!

TJ H
StPaul/Mpls MN USA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fordconvert on 8/27/06 10:55am ]</font>
The V8 cars had them sideways across the back too until 1968. Then they went to a "turbo" style muffler under the rear seat floor. So it looks like it may have been swapped to a later style exhaust. The V8 often has resonators in that spot to so someone may hav just used a later '68 style muffler and tail pipe in its place. Stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.