Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys name is Bret. Ive been a Ford guy all my life and have a few Ford projects in the works. I have a 1946 ford Hot Rod 90% built a 1968 F100 Ranger with a 460.

Just picked up a 1968 302 2v for $200. I was told it was pulled from a 1968 Mercury Cougar with 50,000 miles. I was skeptical but when I tore it down It is in excellent shape. However some things just seem out of place. I searched on the site and found nothing to explain it.

First of all it is a C8OE-6105-A block (1968 302 out of a Fairlane/Torino) not cougar. Unless they used the casting number in cougars but in that case it would be (C8WE) which it is not. The block is standard bore and when I took it apart the cylinders are beautiful not wear and even had the taper at the top.

The pistons are FORD as are the valves on the head. This leads me to the other question. I pulled the heads and started cleaning them up and found that they are (C8TE) 302 Truck Heads with 58.2cc chambers. Correct me if I'm wrong. However why would a fairlane/torino block have truck heads.

So now i have a fairlane/torino block with truck heads out of a Cougar hahaha.

My question is would they use this combo a F/T block with truck heads?

MY other concern is the flywheel/flexplate issue. The motor came with a mid 1970's T5 bell housing short nosed starter and a flywheel. I have a c4 that I'm mounting to it. Im unsure of what flexplate to buy.

If im correct the 1960-1981 blocks have a 28 oz imbalance and the flexplate(auto) or flywheel(manual) have to weigh that. To switch it to be able to run the c4 i have to get a 28oz flexplate and long nosed starter so it engages.

If im correct if it is a (C8OE) F/T block it would be a 28oz flexplate with 157 teeth not the 164 right?

The final question is did for ever make a 302 with a rear sump because this engine has a rear sump and my 1971 302 and 1969 351W are front.

Anyways if any of this makes sense please try to answer the questions so I don't go insane. Thanks for reading to this point haha...

Bret:)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I don't think the blocks were cast for specific vehicles so don't worry about that too much..Yes ford started using rear sump oil pans on some vehicles around late 70s early 80s..Mostly to clear the new rack and pinion steering setups I believe...With the early T-5 bellhousing and rear sump pan it sounds like your engine may have been swapped into a fox body mustang or capri...As for the flywheel you are right..For a 1968 engine it will be 28 oz balanced..Just get the flexplate the right size for whatever bellhousing you are running and it should be good..

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
like said it was swapped to a l;ate car . correct casting numbers/date codes don't mean anything if not a restore . looks like you got a good deal

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
FRDNUT is that head a decent head?
There's not a lot to choose from when talking stock ford heads of that era..Those have a fairly small combustion chamber so they will give you decent compression.Not too bad I guess.There are worse heads you could have had like the stock 2V 1968 smog heads with big 63cc chambers..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Dont know if this helps much but i remember my father telling me stories about rebuilding his mid 50s 292 engines with early 60s 292 truck heads when he was in highschool. dont know why they did that but he emplies they were stronger.:rolleyes: maybe thats what happen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts