Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 also and was thinking of putting about the same set up as you. Your car is awesome, and your knowledge is VERY helpful! My question is how does your car ride with the VW tires? I was thinking of 15X4" tires though, then put Bug tires on that. What size should I use? My car will be mostly a street car, drive it like 4 times a week, as well as like 5 times a year to the track. I want it very fast, dont take turns too fast, but is there enough traction with the front tires?
Also i just talked to a tire shop around my house, and they Recomend i use 11inch wide tires on my 15X8" rear tires. Will these fit? What do you use (Radials)?
THANKS To everyone!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I ran a 165R15 F-560 from Firestone on the front of my Tbird drag car with no troubles. We had 1/8 mile speeds of 122-124mph. It is about 25" tall, radial, and high speed durability. This size tire was on 60's VW's in a bias ply.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have a buddy that rolled a beautiful 86 mustang (was on the cover of mm&ff once) because of those vw tires..one of them decided to come apart at 130 mph. I still have them, though my car isnt near as fast. I will be changing over to some race tires soon, though---dont trust the vw radials, and they are quite heavy.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Understand what you are saying, but was it a result of the tires or improper maintenance of the tires? Age of them? Too many tire slides (hard braking) to win a race?

Yes, they are heavier than a racing tire, but Andysam is talking street use, not strictly racing. A front runner wouldn't last very long on the street and also isn't DOT approved.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
For what it's worth ... I'm running 165R15s on the front of a daily driver (not my Mach1) ... 67 Camaro

They are working out fine.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 5/21/02 9:51pm ]</font>

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just installed some 165R15's several weeks ago, and my car is handling much better. They replaced M/T ET Fronts, which didn't handle well on the street and only lasted about 500 miles. And considering I can replace these (mounted & balanced) for less than the cost of 1 ET Front, I'm sold on the 165R15.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Those front drag tires are for the strip ONLY. They are made extremely thin (lightweight) and of very soft rubber. They will NOT hold up to street use. They are easily cut by road debris, and won't last any amount of time.

The 165R/15 VW bug tires are MUCH more durable. However, they are still a small tire, and I have to put close to 50psi of air in them to make them look like they are not low on air. I run 50-55psi in them at all times.... and got several years out of my first set before the tread wore out. I'm now on the second. If I would have purchased a set of 4" wide wheels or larger (instead of the 3-1/2" units on the car) I would have probably stepped up a size or two. I just don't really like running 50-55psi in tires designed for less... and they were Firestones.
No problems though... guess I got lucky.

They drove just fine on the road. There was no real noticable difference in handling, as long as the speeds were kept down, they did great. Of course they would slide a little easier than a full size tire, but not much worse.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts