Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this is a first for me and the '62 Galaxie. For the first time was able to identify a problem with car (brake light switch was bad causing a drain on the battery), diagnose it right the first time, get the right replacement part in one trip to the parts store, and fix the problem the first time.

In making this repair I did not break any other car parts or discover any other unseen problems. I simply found a problem and repaired in one try! I am somewhat amazed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This can only mean one thing... the replacement switch is going to fail, unknown to you, while you're out on a "Win-A-Date with Cheryl Tiegs". You'll get a "defective equipment" ticket from a nasty cop who belittles your "old wreck of a car", the gleam in her eye will go out, and you'll go to bed early. By yourself.

Pride goeth before a fall! LOL.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thats great !!! Man I wish things were going that ez for me. but................ dont jinx yourself !!!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Those moments are few and far between!! Like farmallta said, beware. Kind of like how easily you get that top starter bolt in on a 390 or how easily something goes up and then you realize you forgot something that had to go first. Second time around it doesn't go so smooth. lol Ever say "I hope i'm not the next one to have to take that off."? What happens? You are the one!

Enjoy the moment!!!

Deb

·
Registered
646 Posts
Congrat's!!!
Be careful though, next thing you know someone will tell someone that you are an electrical wizard and you will never be able to keep up with the requests for your expertise!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not worried about being mistaken for an electrical wizard but I am worried about having jinxed myself for some other nasty repairs or replacements.

I'd better get out and drive it while I can!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Interesting... A while back, my 64 lost brake lights. It turned out to be the brake light conneection on the master cylinder. I did a bit of sanding and they worked again. I am experiencing a vague battery drain. This morning, at a stop light, the guy following me came up and told me that my brake lights were not working. I wonder if I might be experiencing the same issue as you. After work I will try to clean the connections again and see if they come back.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Consider yourself a Car God! I have never done anything without finding something else that needed fixing or replacement.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't consider cleaning the connections as it was only a $5 part. The thing that tipped me off to the drain coming from the switch (besides no brake lights) was the switch getting really hot.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I will definitely have to look a bit closer today

·
Registered
297 Posts
It was the switch causing the brake lights to not work. I cleaned the contacts and they came back on again. Not hot, though.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I am bringing all my cars to you from now on....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts