Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Transmission vacuum loop in the line I originally thought it was for the air cleaner. The air cleaner, says "FRONT" on the top, and the sides and top are one piece. The bottom is almost a flat plate.

I have seen several Falcons (I am of the opinion this is a Falcon motor) that has the "horn" of the air cleaner going through this loop. But now, seeing the "FRONT" on the air cleaner places the horn over the fuel pump area. That would make sence because there is less heat in that area I suppose since it's not over the exhaust manifold.

Anyone know for sure what this ugly vacuum line loop is for?. Can I cut it back and go down from the manifold?. I figure, someone will know here even though i's a 6.. LOL..

VacuumLoop.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a Falcon air cleaner.

The loop in the tranny vacuum line makes no sense. I've seen dozens of falcons with inline 6's, and owner 4 of them, and never seen this odd shape.

Where does that line go TO?
It goes to the transmission modulator. It's the original 2 speed transmission. On the other end, is a small vacuum rubber hose. before I change it, I would like to know if it's supposed to do something. None of my friends here know..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, get rid of that monstrosity. It's NOT factory and there's no reason for it to be so goofy like that.
On some of the older Falcons I knew I seen those loops. I did a image Google search and found this one. This one has the loop and the air cleaner horn is not through the loop, but resting beside the loop... I need to investigate further...

Call me nuts, but I need to know what that stupid loop was really for before I go and cut out the darn thing.... Can some of you guys ask around?.

63Falcon.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
At some point in time there will be liquid gas in the intake manifold. The loop goes up to keep any liquid gas from draining to the low point of the tubing which ends up at the modulator.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At some point in time there will be liquid gas in the intake manifold. The loop goes up to keep any liquid gas from draining to the low point of the tubing which ends up at the modulator.
Okay, great, so how was it originaly situated?... I mean, mounted?. Strapped?. Did the air cleaner horn go through the loop?.

Right now, as I see them, and in other cars, it's just there. I see no strapping, mounting, or stabilizing, other than the occasional owner using it for the air cleaner horn holder... Which is in correct as the markings on the cleaner FRONT, face the horn over the fuel pump area.

Thanks. I needed to know that.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Not on any of the 5 falcons I've owned nor the one I'm about to buy a 61 Ranchero, but his explanation is as good as any, but it's rather retarded to put a 5 inch high loop to prevent fuel from going into a line that's under vacuum 100% of the time the engine is running....

Ignore it and put that vacuum line anywhere you want to. It's ridiculous that the vacuum line to the tranny is 5/16" in diameter...

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
That line is connected below the carb. Ever go out on a cold morning and pump that accel before turning the key?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
So.... You think that pumping a shot or seventeen into the intake near that vacuum line will make fuel run down 5 feet of 5/16" vacuum line into the vacuum valve on the tranny?

Does nobody but me know what the INSIDE of a 170-200 integral head look like?

The vacuum line is a good 3/8" ABOVE the floor of the intake chamber, it would literally take the emptying of 3 fuel bowls of fuel to even approach that level and then the intake and exhaust valves on the # 3 and #4 pistons would have to be closed at the same time....

Never mind... it simply has to be a precautionary thing from fuel seepage like Arnold said, nothing else makes sense, (Even though that don't make sense either in the grand scheme of things)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That line is connected below the carb. Ever go out on a cold morning and pump that accel before turning the key?
yes it's connected to the exhaust manifold. Then comes up, turns, and back down again goes down to the transmission modulator. (I think thats what its called).

Looking at other cars, I have seen the air cleaners horn go through the loop. I thought It is ALSO used for that, other than something else, that you mentioned. Some kind of liquid gas lock. Funny, though, it goes to the exhaust manifold. I suppose, that could also produce gases, that need to be a vapor/liquid lock of some kind.

I still can't see where if it dosen't go around the air cleaners horn, how is it supported?. I mean, there are no mounting, or anti-vibrating supporting this tube. Other than, using the air cleaners horn.... I have a 62 Fairlane Ford Shop Manual, and no mention of this. Matter of fact, there were a few other questions I had about the motor area, and the Ford Shop Manual diden't list them. Guess, back in 62, Ford had crappy manuals. But I found out about those questions. No one,

So, I suppose my question now is: If the air cleaners horn dosen't go through the loop, then how is it mounted, how high is the loop, and what's that area supposed to look like from the factory is 1962?. How is it supposed to look?.

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WHAT???? It goes into the EXHAUST MANIFOLD?

PLEASE get a BEGINNING and ending photo of this damn tube. I'm starting to get miffed at this anomaly!
Just looked at the pictures.. Yea, your right.. Sorry, it does go into the intake. My mistake... A bit of a blurry picture. But yes, it's in the intake.

62CleanEngine02.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You will also find on unmolested 6 cylinders of that era that the vacuum advance line to the distributor will have a similar bend.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You will also find on unmolested 6 cylinders of that era that the vacuum advance line to the distributor will have a similar bend.
Looks like this one dosen't have the vac advanced loop. Where should that be?. Same place as the trans?.

62CleanEngine01.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of all of my 60-63 Falcons all were original 144 and 170 engines and none had that loop in them and all were stock low mileage cars.

Maybe it's a regional thing....
Okay, I have seen these loops on several cars. along the way. Today, I asked several mechanics. Some say they have seen them, while other say they haven't.

One did mention it was "probally" for some kind of vapor lock... So, looks like Arnoldtx seems to be right... I still can't understand why there isen't any mounting, or stand off's for this part of the line.

There are no other details about this thing, and no other information I can look up, unless I search some more. I have a old 68 Motors book, and I think the early 60's are in it, but don't know how deep the area's are about this. I will investigate more on this subject. It's a bit unsetteling there is little information on this. The loop sticks out like a sore thumb. There has to be the right answer out there.

If someone out there has a better book, Please have a look for me..

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Wow, many pics with and many without. But ALL the photo's show this tube running in front of the valve cover and over and around the engine to the drivers side but the destination, nor any reason for the loop.

Secondly, I've only owned TWO Falcon's with automatics, THAT may be why I never seen this piece before.

So do tell where the hell this dang tube goes TO at the end of it's journey. Never mind I found that also but it's not labeled...

The Shift diaphragm is on the driver side of the tranny. That's why it takes this route. You can do what you wish with it. there i sno way it's ever going to fill with fuel and cause you grief if you re-route it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts