Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those anyone make rev kit for Small block Ford?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can it work in a 302 with windsor jr heads?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
MSD 6al?

·
Registered
991 Posts
rev kit? Thats small block chevy talk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hmmm not being all knowing about race engines ( many things for that matter) I always thought that the rev kits were used so that you didnt need heavier pushrods heavier springs, and the extra wear and breakage that can come from 600lbs springs trying to control radical camshafts.
As another thought why wouldnt they just work awsome on a hydraulic roller camshaft? With the rev springs pushing against the Body of the lifter to help 'lighten" the load that the stock spring has to control, it wouldnt collapse the lifter like excessive spring pressure does
AND would a rev kit have and problems on the street on a hyd roller??

Thoughts??

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
On 2006-07-01 20:01, 71hotrodpinto wrote:
hmmm not being all knowing about race engines ( many things for that matter) I always thought that the rev kits were used so that you didnt need heavier pushrods heavier springs, and the extra wear and breakage that can come from 600lbs springs trying to control radical camshafts.
As another thought why wouldnt they just work awsome on a hydraulic roller camshaft? With the rev springs pushing against the Body of the lifter to help 'lighten" the load that the stock spring has to control, it wouldnt collapse the lifter like excessive spring pressure does
AND would a rev kit have and problems on the street on a hyd roller??

Thoughts??
Sounds like the voice of reason to me. They are kind of like tunnel rams. They make good power, but are just 'out of style' right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aren't the main reason for rev kit to let the engine achieve higher rpm, especially on hydraulic applications?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rev kits were designed to keep the lifter in it's bore when there was a valve train failure....ie: bent or broken pushrod, or rocker. By keeping the lifter in it's bore the engine won't lose oil pressure to the lower end. This was a problem with large lift, high duration, high rpm (read that as: race only) solid lifter roller cams. New valve train technology has just about made these obsolete for anything but all out race engines.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bytemydust on 7/4/06 4:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think that if you had valve float with a heavy hyd roller lifter at 6000 rpm for example, it just seems to me that a rev kit would give you another 800 to a 1000 rpm without having to change valve springs and risk collapsing the lifter and then losing lift.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Gee they dont offer for a SBF?? WTF?? NO WAY !! I cant believe it!!

5.0 block,B303,1.7 Rockers,beehives,'68 ported heads,Coated custom Must II headers,Edlb Airgap,Holley570,Msd Billet,Crane HI 6,Milodon 8 quart Deep Pan,2.5" 40 Flowmasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 7/4/06 11:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So! we can agree that it helps to reach higher rpm?
Now my question is: Wound a rev kit for a 351W work in a 302w?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Yes, no difference in the heads in the valve cover--302 and 351 use the same parts in the same years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I doubt very seriously they will work on a 351. Every rev kit I have ever seen mounts UNDER the head and the springs ride directly on the top of the lifters. This distance is increased because of the higher deck height of the 351 block. I would imagine it would require longer springs. And as far as being designed to retain the lifter in case of failure, that is a side benefit. They are designed to keep the lifter on the cam lobe in high rev situations without added spring pressure on the plunger mechanism caused by heavier valve springs. I don't know why they are not offered for Fords. The dynamics of the engines are essentially the same. So I would tend to think that added valve train stability with lower spring pressures would be welcomed, and beneficial in a hydr. lifter engine that could see high RPMs. Just my $.02 BenC

·
Registered
991 Posts
if there was a market they would be available, theres no need for them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts