Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought I was going to fire the motor today, filled up the radiator with water and it leaked from ev

I mean it was leading from the water neck, and got up to the base of the carb. I pulled the carb off and water was up to the top of the RPM intake!
New rebuild, The block and heads were checked. This is a 289 with 351W heads. I bought the 351W intake gaskets and cut them slightly for the eyebrows. I opened the water passages in the intake to more mate with the 351W heads, but didn't go crazy. The mistake I made, tell me if this caused the problem was used the blue sealer from permatex that stays wet, it doesn't dry and get rubberized like most. This is what I think caused my mess. But that thing filled with water quickly!
Any ideas on this and now with the water problem, what do I need to be sure to do, since this motor has never been fired...
I'm thinking pull intake, drain water and oil, put sopme type of vacuum hose in the cylinders to get any water that may have made it in there. dry out the carb, change filter. check fuel pump....what else?

·
Registered
249 Posts
thought I was going to fire the motor today, filled up the radiator with water and it leaked from ev

I'm not sure whats causing your problems, but something is diffently wrong.
What ever you do don't turning the motor while its cylinders are full of water.

Check your dipstick for signs of water.
If you don't see any water, the 1st thing I would do is pull the sparkplugs and turn the engine over to get all the water out of the cylinders. Then with a syringe, put a little oil back in to cylinder's and then turn motor over again. Rust will form in a matter of hours on unprotected iron/steel. NOT GOOD for a brand new valve job. Hope

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

You are saying that you kept filling the radiator and it filled up the inside of the intake? I've never seen that one before. I don't really see how that could happen unless the entire motor was full of water.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Your first priority is to find the leak. It is either a failed gasket/incomplete seal or a crack. If it filled the engine then the leak (if not a crack) is a head gasket or manifold gasket failure. If it filled quickly, I would look at the intake manifold to head gasket first.
If you were only filling the engine and did not expose it to any cooling system pressure with the engine running. Then the non-drying goopy sealant may not be the present problem.

Questions: 1) Did you have the heads milled? If so how much was removed from the head to block surface? Was there a need to compensate on the head to intake manifold surface?
2) Was the engine and the heads magna-fluxed? You mentioned that they were checked. Checked how?
These 351 heads, were they new? I am assuming that this is a simple bolt on modification, since I have not done a 351 head to 289 block myself.
3) Did the passages (water) line up as you expected they would?

You mentioned that the engine filled quickly, this seems to imply that the leak is rather large (duh). A leaky gasket or goopy sealant, would require pressure to leak, just filling the system may not leak in this case.(A busted gasket might leak more). However, if the two mating metal surfaces are not parallel with each other. Then a leak could occur because the gasket is not contacting the mating surfaces evenly. This was my thought with the milling of the heads.

Okay, I've bla, bla, blad enough. My suggestion, is to be careful and find the root cause. Yeah it may be a drag, but it's better than the alternative.
Good luck. And sorry, I haven't seen this before.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oils65mustang on 4/28/02 5:58pm ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts

Re:the engine full of water
You didn't by chance plumb one of the vacum ports on the intake to the heater hose. I guess not. But it has happened.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

I'm wondering if you have a hole in your intake water passage that you said you ground out.Maybe you basically just filled up the intake with water,as you said it filled up quickly.I would pull the plugs and drain the oil and see how much and where you have water

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

I'm with Madmike on this one. Sounds like water is getting into the intake somehow.
Also,there is no need to trim the intake gaskets. Just use 351W gaskets with a bead of RTV in place of the end seals.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

ok, we removed the intake and used a air hose to blow out the water. Put the hose in the cylinders and blew it out the intake ports. Here is what happened when we blew out #7 cylinder. Water spewed out the pear shaped water passage! HOw else could this have happened without it being a bad or poorly seated head gasket???This would explain how so much water got in there. When I drained the oil, about 2 qts. of water came out first....when we put the hose in the #7 cylinder, we can feel air coming out the water passage.....Is this definetely the head gasket???

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

I'm not sure what the 'pear shaped' water passage is you are referring to. There is an exhaust crossover kinda pearshaped in the center of the intake face of each head. If the exhaust valve was opened on #7 then water might come out that crossover port when you put air in.It doesn't sound like a head gasket.

·
Registered
442 Posts

recently ran into a similar problem, a friend was trying out those copper head gaskets on a 5.0 and it did the same thing. ended up being the head gaskets. Iam not to sure but I was told afterwards that those gaskets are used for o ringed setups. maybe this is your prob. good luck! just my 2 cents chris

·
Premium Member
731 Posts

I had a timing cover develop a pin hole (corrosion) that allowed water to get into the oil, but not the intake. You couldn't see the hole until we bead blasted it and held it up to the sun. I doubt that is what you have, but it's a possibility.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts

Now let me see, when you put the air hose in the #7 cylinder, you could feel air coming out of the water passage? Man, I hate to rain on your parade, but I swear it sounds like a cracked block/head. Hope I'm wrong..

·
Registered
5,551 Posts

did you use 351 intake gaskets or the early 289/302 gaskets? I have found that the 351 intake gaskets will not work with pre-77 style intake manifolds. The early style manifolds have small water passages, and the later heads (77-up) have large passages..as well as all the 351 heads and will leak water directly into the engine. Hope this helps

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Just jim-

Ok this must have been the exhaust crossover that spewed the air/water out. there wasn't that much. I thought this was a water passage. ok, than it must have been a poorly seated or not sealed intake manifold gasket. If what you are saying , that there are only two water passages on each head, very fron t and rear...than I'm sticking with the manifold gasket theory. So, what is the absolutely best/safest way to do this. use felpro 1250, and put black ultra rtv high temp on both sides of the gasket, and run a bead around all of it???

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Just put the gaskets on dry and smear a little bit of RTV around each water passage,not a huge amount.Before you set the intake on, put about a 1/4 inch diameter bead of RTV on the front and rear of the block where it meets the intake,don't use the cork gaskets there.That's how I do it,works for me.Hope this works.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

ok. As for the water, I've blown air in the cylinders and drained the oil. This motor has not been fired. Plugs are out. should I turn the motor over to force any remaining water out of the plug holes?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Yeah,turn it over by hand first and then with the starter. Squirt a bunch of WD40 or similar stuff in each cylinder and turn it over with the starter again,that oughta do it. Don't forget to put some fresh oil in with a new filter.Hope it works better this time.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Had a similar problem about 8 years back - installing a Stealth manifold to replace stock 2V intake on 351W. Engine filled up with water - replaced gasket - same deal.

Turned out 2 cyl head intake threads weren't blind which wasn't a problem when the 2v intake was on.
(I think stock int used 16? bolts versus 12 for stealth)

Cut 3/4 thru the bolt near head, screwed them in then fatigued heads off & added some RTV.
Haven't had a problem since.
Install instructions mentioned nothing about this - maybe it was a Monday AM head?

·
Registered
669 Posts

makes my detonated piston problem sound minor!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ivan had it!
the 351W heads have 16 bolt holes and the 289 intake- 12. I thought the other 4 were dry holes. no such luck, stuck water.
cut the tops off 4 bolts, hacksawed a grove for a screwdriver and put them in with RTV...
cranked the block by starter got just a tad more water out that way....here we go again... let yall know....
thanks for all the help

1 - 20 of 39 Posts