Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a interesting artical about a 540 stroker build up for the 460 BBF and I am wondering what thoughts you all have about it. The thing is based on offset ground stock crank, 240 6 cylinder rods, venolia pistons, and just plain old ported early heads small chamber like D0VE-C etc. the artical claims that it makes over 700 HP with solid roller cam and over 600 with a solid flat tappit or aggressive Hyd. and they claim to be using them in offshore boats running hard and long flat out as in an endurance motor. Let me know your thoughts and if someone can tell me how to do it I have it saved on my computer so I could post it here if there is interest. Thanks Tim R

{The article was found by gregaust on the web-
www.home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/540a.jpg

www.home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/540b.jpg

www.home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/540c.jpg

www.home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/540d.jpg

www.home.earthlink.net/~tcrocker/540e.jpg

Tech. Editor}

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FasterDamnit! on 1/4/02 8:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tim I guess I'm interested if anyone has put one together, and how the 6 cylinder rods hold up. I see you are from my part of the country, another damn cold New Years eve.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paxtonman,
Yes, another very cold one indeed. If you would like you can email me your address and I will gladly send the artical to you if you would like to read it. Let me know what part of Iowa you are from to will you.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Tim- I would really like a copy. Thanks!
Happy New Year!

JL

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's cold here too.... almost 20 below.... brrrr! I'd love to see that article. Fast for cheap is what it's all about

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I'd love to see that artical too.

It was in the 50s all last week but will be cold this week in the 40s
I hate winter!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 540BBF in the Dragster. Uses 4.500 bore x 4.250 Stroke w/ 6.800 rod. made 150 passes this season and inside of motor looks like the day I put it together..
I also have a 514, with 4.360 bore x 4.300 stroke w/6.800 rod in a buddys '86 Mustang. Car sees street strip duty, and has had no problems in 6 months of usage...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hey Tim..for what ever reason your e-mails not working. I sent ya an e-mail and it came back as non-delieverable. Sorry.

·
Registered
109 Posts
wow 89 coupe! 40 degrees! i almost consider that short and tank top weather:D

·
Registered
749 Posts
wow that isnt the same article I have in a late 80's Super Ford is it? Looks like it. Might have to go dig thru the boxes of ford rags in the garage

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Tim R, I had the same problem with your e-mail not working too. I got the artical but when I sent a thank you reply, it came back as undeliverable.

aaron, it may sound nice being in the 40s and 50s in the winter but the lack of snow here is a real bummer. I grew up where it snowed a lot up north and now I hardly ever see snow. It also gets cold at night up here dropping in the 20s at night so it's not like it's warm and 2 or 3 nights during the winter it will get in the single digits at night and more often in the teens but mostly 20s and 30s at night. If it does snow, it's melted the same day or by the next day. It sucks....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, sorry for the email screwups. Please reply to my yahoo address (see profile) If I sent you the article and you couldn't reply to my dtg mail please reply to yahoomail with your thoughts. Thanks. Tim R

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Tim-
Got the article. Looks really good. If you can do your own head porting and long block assembly it looks like a reasonably priced way to hit 600-700hp. I would like to see detailed pics of the crank prep. Not sure how the V is supposed to be cut on the mains.

JL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, I to would like to see how that oil groove looks I am going to run it by a friend that has a machine shop and see if he knows what they are talking about. what did you make of the rest of the combo do you think that it sounds like it would be a good pro street motor. I am going to look into building one for my 79 Mustang coupe.
tubbed 4 link 9" 31"x18.5" Hoosiers C4 auto and going to use a BBF in one form or another.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Hell, yes! 700 HP by 6000rpm? You could run at least a season if not two reliably. Some N2O if you are looking for 8's...

JL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Tim. Thanks for emailing that article for me. It's much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
AND with 10.5:1 compression too but I don't think those little rods and super lite weight pistons can handle nitrous though. Still, they used ported D0VE-C heads and 2.19/1.8" valves and made that power. Says a lot about the iron BBF heads potential.

Thanks Tim R!

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
The combination looks good but i have to wonder how those heads really do flow enough to make 700 hp in an aspirated engine.I guess from the article they do work .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey guys my 545b uses a 4.5 stroke and a 4.390, probe rods and scat crank, i like the idea of a stroker kit using different parts but stock for 300 rods scare me at 6000 rpm with 700hp

1 - 20 of 53 Posts