Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, ran in to this on craigslist, and it looked like a good driver, solid groud for a nice cougar. I thought FM had a cougar forum...so I had to throw it here with you stang guys.

Its a 1970 base cougar, my girlfriend of 7 years also and soon to be wife has been looking for a 68/67 cougars. Her dad had a light blue 68 growing up, so I have been looking for one for some time. I expected to spend around 2500-4000 for a car I can put my Torinos warmed up 302 in, paint, and fix up for her and I to use as a cruiser since the torino will be a street/strip car.

I found this today, and I personally love the 69/70 cougars. Always have. This car immediately reminded me of my torino, like its little sister, black on torq thrusts as well. Anyway, I havnt seen it yet in person, I plan of offering 3k for it if its sound and driving it home. Its a base 1970 cougar with a claimed 351 ceveland, air, console, new floor pans, new headliner, etc...I plan on going to look at it tomorrow.

I just would like some thoughts and opinions and stuff to look for, I know the usual rust spots, check torque boxes, under headliner rust, etc. But anything else? Are parts super rare and hard to find like my Torino? I saw this ad and jumped on it fast, thinking this car was too nice for the price.

Here is the ad:
1970 Mercury Cougar.

Here is a photo album of the car with more pics:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/JC316_2006/70%20Cougar/mini-SAM_2322.jpg

And I also stumbled across a thread the owner had started ;)
My driving project 1970 Mercury Cougar. - MustangForums.com

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seems like a decent buy for a running car that doesn't seem molested.The only thing I would worry about is the rust he talks about,and you can see,under the vinyl top.I would try to poke around,without jabbing holes,in areas of the roof and see how crunchy it is.
Also when he put the pans in did he weld the pans back to the braces?Kind of doesn't look like it.Also were the welds ground,seam sealer,POR15.....any of this done.If not you should think about it.
Looks like a cool car for the money otherwise.Especially if you are building it for a cruiser or daily for your future wife.
At least on the roof if you do go back vinyl after a repair.Some stuff can be hidden.
There was one In SanAntonio that was an Eliminator clone I wish I could have picked up.
Too many projects though.
Good Luck

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a decent buy for a running car that doesn't seem molested.The only thing I would worry about is the rust he talks about,and you can see,under the vinyl top.I would try to poke around,without jabbing holes,in areas of the roof and see how crunchy it is.
Also when he put the pans in did he weld the pans back to the braces?Kind of doesn't look like it.Also were the welds ground,seam sealer,POR15.....any of this done.If not you should think about it.
Looks like a cool car for the money otherwise.Especially if you are building it for a cruiser or daily for your future wife.
At least on the roof if you do go back vinyl after a repair.Some stuff can be hidden.
There was one In SanAntonio that was an Eliminator clone I wish I could have picked up.
Too many projects though.
Good Luck
Thanks for the response man, I agree on everything you noted as well. I called him back on the rust under the roof and he said their are mixed pics, some before and some after.

Ive done as much background checks on the car I can, and did find more pics of him redoing the roof. He said on the phone the metal was cut out and replaced, seems honest and real on the phone, Im willing to bet it was POR-15'd...he seems like a competent kid, who works on a lot of projects.

Hope if he sees this he doesnt mind! But I found this thread where he says at least the rust is gone on the roof.

It's close to a mustang. My 1970 Mercury Cougar. - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

More pics of the car and roof, http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/JC316_2006/mini-SAM_0048.jpg

My biggest question is why he bought it in April, posted a build thread to make a daily driver on June 12, and has since to respond, then decides to sell on July 9th... I asked him why he was selling it, and he just said needed the cash for a business he was starting up.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Nice. The '70 (like the '69) have some pieces that are 1-year only (grille,bumper, hood, front trim, signals, etc.), but they have a large following and are becoming more popular every year. Almost all parts (except a few trim pieces) are readily available. Most running gear except rear springs, shocks, adn driveshaft is Mustang, as it's about 3" longer in that area. Lots of parts are the same '67-70, and '69-'70 just like 'stangs. I love my '69 convertible because it's not another Mustang - but is. The down-side to the '70 is the damned hood nose 'tooth' that will take divots from your scalp even when you say you'll never do THAT again. LOL

David

PS: one online email list is CLASSIC-COUGARS on Yahoo Groups. The national registrar is there (and may have some history on your car in the database) along with many cool folks without attitudes, but with solid info and sources.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is all documented.Seems good to me for the money.That's a lot of work you don't have to do.I noticed the pic in your first post that had the rear window out and wondered why.
The floorpan/brace subject is also brought up as well so that is answered.Seems like a pretty straightforward deal.
I wouldn't be worried.
Maybe he is starting a business.Maybe he couldn't get 20mpg.Whatever.Car is a good buy.
I had a friend who bought a rough 68 and has twice that much in it now.And it's still a rough 68.Nowhere near that.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet thanks guys. Im trying not to get that "new ford" feeling make a shotgun decision and just buy it only to notice it overheats on the freeway, or is rusted in places you cant see lol.

He says 351C, looks like a windsor to me...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS: one online email list is CLASSIC-COUGARS on Yahoo Groups. The national registrar is there (and may have some history on your car in the database) along with many cool folks without attitudes, but with solid info and sources.
Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I am one happy buyer...I drove out to the boonies 60 miles to look at it. First impression was skeptical. But as I looked in the wheel wells for rust in the trunk...looked great, taped everywhere for holes...felt solid.

I got to the interior, the door seals are are solid and the door opens nice and firm, and shut like my new infinity. The interior is suprisingly good...The kid rolled out the original spare with poly glass tire, and drug out a box of parts, with a original AM/FM radio, spare emblems, existing trim, new body lpug kit.

The trunk trim is off but in the trunk. Car has a new gas tank, new AC evaporator. I sat in it, and fired it right up. let it warm up, looked for leaks of oil tranny fluid, coolant, etc...I took it for a test ride, brakes felt pretty good, steering a bit loose and carb seemed a little hesitant. i got it our on the road, and man does it run, nice and smooth power, drove sraight as an arrow, and purred down the road. i was suprised of the power. Car has dual glass packs so it has a nice rumble but nice quiet idle.

I stopped down the road to check the lights, horn, and interior stuff. AC only blows out of the defrost vents, stereo was aftermarket and falling out...All external lights worked good. Covers flipped up, sequentials worked, and horn blew for us.

I made an offer of 3k and we settled on $3100.00 And drove it on a 60 mile trip home. Man was I white knuckle, had my step daughter with me. I rolled down the road, put in 20 bucks to get it a half a tank of gas. Halfway home drove into a thunder storm. I rolled up the windows and turned on the AC...what a suprise to drive a muscle car with AC, wipers working, and just cruising in comfort, this car made my Torino feel much older. NO LIGHTS on the dash work lol, The belt and oil lights come on with Key on, but no illumination sucked as it got dark. Rode very cozy and smooth.

Before I bought it, I spent a good amount of time looking for rust. I was able to get under the dash and look through the vents with a light and look through the cowl. There is looked to be light surface rust. Now, the cowl is clogged (under cowl vents) with leaves and junk, Im sure the cowl is the cause of the rusted floors. I will dig in to it come winter time.
Until then we are going to drive this car and enjoy every minute. however the under side, there was no rust, and the torq boxes look fine.

The paint, is flatter on top and shinier on the sides. Looks like an older paint job that has potential to polish out (will try tomorrow). Car looks as good in pics as it does in person. Overall I feel I got alot of Car for the money!! I am happy and the girl is very happy!

Video: http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu43/mikedula/1970 Cougar/?action=view&current=IMG_1707-1.mp4

To do: Clean, polish, and DITCH the wheels. The wheels are the one thing that has to go, Im looking for a driver set of 15x7 argent magnum 500's for it. I also hope to get the original stereo working.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You did REAL good! Some fool in Germany bought the blue one that was in my front yard for a year and he paid $4400 and then paid to have it shipped... It was a 67 289 auto car, but beat all to schitt.

You did good!
Lol, thanks FE, hell if you think I got a deal, I musta got a deal! Im still looking for why it was so cheap, I expect to find somthing completely rotted out, but im yet to find any major issues.

This one, we will drive the wheels off of!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Heck yes, I think you did real good, for that price I would have bought it for a daily driver.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If gas wasnt what it is now I would! My G35 is my daily driver and I make payments on it, dont think I havnt thought of selling it, getting rid of payments and driving this!

I keep having to remind myself I bought this for my girlfriend to drive (in my name of coarse lol) I like the idea of her getting into these cars like I have and really getting bonded with it.

Here is a video I made of it 1970 Mercury Cougar Walkaround Startup - YouTube

I can upload more photos later...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice score. Mercurycougar.net - The Front Page is another resource that is pretty good, helpful folks there generally.

cheers
Ed

(former 68 Cougar owner, if I get another one, it will likely be a 70)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
For $3K you made out like a BANDIT!!! O_O Working A/C?? WOW. Do the vacuum headlights and sequential turn signals work??

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
For $3K you made out like a BANDIT!!! O_O Working A/C?? WOW. Do the vacuum headlights and sequential turn signals work??
They work perfectly. Check out my little video on page one. Shows the working headlights and taillights. The AC coulg be colder, and even though all the vacuume lines work on the air the valve that pushes air to the dash vents has come loose from the housing, otherwise all the vacuume lines for the heater, air, defrost work fine.

Air is about 10-20 degrees cooler than ambiant so it works, but could be colder, has some replaced parts, like the condensor, but probably needs an evaporator and maybe compressor work.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Good buy. Looking at those rear wheels has the rear end been swapped? Maybe to a later 8.8? Maybe a wider rear end?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good buy. Looking at those rear wheels has the rear end been swapped? Maybe to a later 8.8? Maybe a wider rear end?
No, its a stock 3.08 ford 9" those mustang wheels has a large offset and just look stupid IMO. I cant wait to get rid of it.

I really want magnum 500's 15x7 all around.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Those wheels look like they are nearly flush with the wheel lip which is wrong for a stock width rear. I would check again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts