Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. What is your opinion on removing the Galaxie 500, Ford and 390 badging and keeping it off? Thinking of filling in the holes before paint. My letters are not in the best of shape and neither are my 390 badges. Pins are broken off and 390 is bent and is not flat anymore. Looks run over haha. NOS is very expensive and my car is not a show car, just a cruizer.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Hey all. What is your opinion on removing the Galaxie 500, Ford and 390 badging and keeping it off? Thinking of filling in the holes before paint. My letters are not in the best of shape and neither are my 390 badges. Pins are broken off and 390 is bent and is not flat anymore. Looks run over haha. NOS is very expensive and my car is not a show car, just a cruizer.
Don't worry what others think. If you like it then it's 100% correct.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I have 2 390 badges on my 66. Both in good shape. The guy I bought car from put them on just to fill I the holes. Not trying to make a buck but I'd like to buy some 66-352 badges. So I'd like to sell around that price if possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
welding the holes and refinishing may be more expensive than the trim
It might be more expensive The learning experience is priceless . All the chrome was so dull the black in it was spotted, missing and dull. How do you undull chrome?
.I not worried about the expenses , I have a lot of them.

·
Subscriber
778 Posts
i just had my '65 painted. i removed all the side trim and badging, and the paint shop welded the holes (i did have them leave the holes for the 390 badges.)

the car looks way cleaner without it all. i'm debating whether or not to put the 390 badges back on.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I personally love the debadged look. I debadged my 66...along with deleting the side trim, shaved door handles, welded and filled all the seams, shaved antenna, deleted rear bumper with roll pan, removed side window stainless surrounds (4 door). I think it draws more attention to the lines of the car without all the bling and badging.
In short, I say go for it!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I personally love the debadged look. I debadged my 66...along with deleting the side trim, shaved door handles, welded and filled all the seams, shaved antenna, deleted rear bumper with roll pan, removed side window stainless surrounds (4 door). I think it draws more attention to the lines of the car without all the bling and badging.
Thank You !! I never thought of removing the windoe trim.I like the slick / smooooth look as well .Less time cleaning.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Part of me screams "Nooooooo!" at the idea. That's mostly because of resale value and trying to preserve things as intact as possible. But then I argue with myself on that too, because a car should be enjoyed by the owner however they want to enjoy it. Removing the badges is pretty minor in comparison to what could be done to gut the car. If you're keeping it alive and running, the car is doing a hell of a lot better than a lot of its brothers and sisters from the assembly line.

Mine's actually being painted right now, and I'm having them remove the door ding trim all around and weld up the holes. Gonna be fun to see how that turns out.

Mine's black on black, and sometimes I'm tempted to totally Munsters the thing out with skulls and such. Redo the lettering so it says "Ghoulaxie 500." But then the preservationist part of me goes into panic mode.

So really, it's all in what you want to do with the car. Unless you're planning on having it completely stock and in perfect condition so you can fetch a nice price at Mecum, I say go for it. It's your car. Change it with love, drive it with pride :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I had my 65 repainted, I had the big star looking things on the rear quarters removed. They just didn't look right to me for some reason. In the end, it's all about what you want. It's your car, do as you please.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Not ready for paint yet so I have some time to think. I may leave the 390 badging and delete the lettering. Still not sure. Everyone has good arguments and suggestions. As far as the posts selling/trading the 390 emblem I have to wait for now. Just bought all new front end springs, shocks, ball joints, bushings, tie rods inner and outer etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd keep the trim. If your pieces are beat up, find some more online-here, ebay, etc.

As a little kid, I'd always look at the engine size badges on cars and be in awe of the old muscle machines.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love the rear bumper treatment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To each their own. I have a '67 and I removed the majority of the lettering and badging along with the trim over the wheel wells and the metal strip that goes along the length of the car. I'm keeping just enough badging to contrast with the paint so I have new FORD lettering for the hood, new 390 emblems for the front fenders, and some like new GALAXIE 500 lettering for the back fenders.

It all just depends on the style and direction you have in mind for your car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts