Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I;m running long tube headers on my 347 in a 62 F;lane. I didn't order them coated mainly because I knew we had to "re-arrange" a couple of tubes, 1- to clear steering rack, 2- to clear bellhousing, so I sprayed em with Eastwoods Hi-heat header paint. Other than protection from the elements I doubt the paint helps in lowering underhood temps, to any degree.,
Which brings me to my question - Does header wrap really help reduce underhood heat, enough to warrant using it?
My son used wrap on his Subaru headers, which, by the way, were ungodly expensive (Syms) & then sprayed the wrap with this - DEI- Hi-temp silicone coating, which supposedly seals & protects the wrap. The spray certainly dried into a tough, hard coating.
I ask because I think underhood heat is a major factor in hot start issues, if I wait 1/2 hr. she turns over & starts, no problem.
thanks

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
i;m running long tube headers on my 347 in a 62 f;lane. I didn't order them coated mainly because i knew we had to "re-arrange" a couple of tubes, 1- to clear steering rack, 2- to clear bellhousing, so i sprayed em with eastwoods hi-heat header paint. Other than protection from the elements i doubt the paint helps in lowering underhood temps, to any degree.,
which brings me to my question - does header wrap really help reduce underhood heat, enough to warrant using it?
My son used wrap on his subaru headers, which, by the way, were ungodly expensive (syms) & then sprayed the wrap with this - dei- hi-temp silicone coating, which supposedly seals & protects the wrap. The spray certainly dried into a tough, hard coating.
I ask because i think underhood heat is a major factor in hot start issues, if i wait 1/2 hr. She turns over & starts, no problem.
Thanks
hot start probs are typically, timing, too high of a float level, weak starter and/or insufficient cooling system.

The header wrap will reduce temps but it will not fix your probs. The lava wrap is popular and does not require sealer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barnett- I should have been more specific, solenoid will click, but she won't turn over, until cooled down, then starts, first crank & runs just fine.
Yesterday I pulled the mini starter, covered it with this hi-temp covering I got from the Subaru boys, supposedly reflects 85-90% radiant heat.
Went on a run last night, it was 90 out, & 2 stops, she started right up.
Now, she hasn't done this non turn over thing at every stop, so I won't say its all good for a few more runs yet!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Barnett- I should have been more specific, solenoid will click, but she won't turn over, until cooled down, then starts, first crank & runs just fine.
Yesterday I pulled the mini starter, covered it with this hi-temp covering I got from the Subaru boys, supposedly reflects 85-90% radiant heat.
Went on a run last night, it was 90 out, & 2 stops, she started right up.
Now, she hasn't done this non turn over thing at every stop, so I won't say its all good for a few more runs yet!
hello;

if it happens take a battery jumper cable and jump the front solenoid post to the rear post. if it turns over your solenoid is bad.

you can also put some lava wrap on the headers in the starter area to reduce temps by the starter even further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I worked as a muffler man for over 20 years and never used header wrap. I worked on 5 or 6 cars and trucks with wrapped headers for exhaust leaks at the headers. When we removed the header wrap from the header the tubes were crystallized from excessive heat. Looked like they came out of a blast furnace with all the carbon burned off. If you tapped them with a hammer they would crumble at that spot. Because of this I never recommend header wrap. One header was only about a year old. The worst headers came off a motor home, the more load an engine has the hotter it runs. Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts