Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing stock heads with aluminum ones. What intake manifold bolt thread lube would be ok to use. Nothing? Oil? wd 40? or something special? I've been told specifically NOT to use antiseize for this applicadtion, but ok for exhaust manifold header bolts. Thanks Tom G

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
I saw somewhere that the Ford torque specs used plain motor oil as lubricant. Don't forget to oil under the washer and bolt head.

A bolt that goes though both aluminum and cast iron though... dunno.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Use the lube and torque the head manufacturer recommends. I say this because they are all different. Most makers specify anti-seize in the intake bolts (AFR, RHS, etc.). Some spec engine oil (TFS). A couple say moly lube (FMS on some heads) and at least one just avoids the topic and just says 'lube' (Edelbrock). Why is that? Lots of arguments about this one, but one root cause is over-torquing.

Intake manifold bolts are often improperly and overly-torqued. A very slippery lube like moly or anti-seize will virtually guarantee stripped threads if torqued to factory spec. It's so common, one head company says to only tighten snugly by hand. So your choice is to follow the installation instructions (recommended), or use what you want, but apply the torque appropriate to the specific lube. For example, using common reference charts, with moly assembly lube lube on the threads and under the bolt head, the final torque would calculate at 13.5 to 16.5 ft/lb maximum. HTH

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
FE WITH BIG INSIGNIA said:
You MUST use a Hardened Washer under the head of the bolt on TOP of the aluminum head or your torque specs will NOT BE ACCURATE...
:tup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.