Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 Ford Galaxie 500 390 stock except intake and carb

I changed from stock carb to Holley 4 barrel over a year ago and everything seems ok but we also replaced the throttle cable. The issue is (alwyas been like that since we changed) I have to dang near stump a whole in the gas pedal to get it to really get the horses going. If I touch the gas and let it gradually build up speed it gets there but sometimes there is reason like I need to jump lanes for example and I need a quick hit but like I said I have to stump the heck out of her.

So Im thinking maybe the cable we put on is too short I put a Lokar 36 in on with a Holley, so what size should I be using and does the carb brand matter as to what type of cable I should buy?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent advice man I looked at the carb While pushing pedal and the lil flap on carb is not opening at all and when I stumped the mess out of it it is barely opening so I guess the cable is too long, quickly is it easy to shorten it?
QUOTE=FEandGoingBroke;1693702]Too short of a cable and you have a throttle that's partly OPEN some of the time.

Too long and you get a cable that does NOT open the throttle enough.

Push pedal and WATCH the carb and see how much it's moving. Then make location adjustments to ensure full throttle opening with the pedal.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Instructions on shortening the cable and housing and final adjustment will be on the LOKAR website.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys got the cable adjusted and it's opening I guess full throttle but question from a wanna be learning mechanic. Right now the opening is the same amount as if I pull it direct from the carb but in comparison to the other side of the carb there is like another little handle and when I pull that the throttle is totally opened like if I wanted to pour gas in it what's the difference?
Instructions on shortening the cable and housing and final adjustment will be on the LOKAR website.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thanks guys got the cable adjusted and it's opening I guess full throttle but question from a wanna be learning mechanic. Right now the opening is the same amount as if I pull it direct from the carb

but in comparison to the other side of the carb there is like another little handle and when I pull that the throttle is totally opened like if I wanted to pour gas in it what's the difference?
:confused:

Can you post a photo?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just took two pics showing the difference but I can't upload I think since I have basic account if you like I can email them if you don't mind or tell me another way to post on this thread

:confused:

Can you post a photo?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
First is carb open with me manually pulling on drivers side. The opening is the same when I press gas pedal before it would not open unless I stumped it crazy.

Second pic is me pushing small lever on passenger side of carb it's really open but I don't think it should be open that much under normal conditions

Please advise
Jonathan
OK. The first photo is your throttle lever. It must be fully opened when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

The second photo is your choke blade. This only opens fully after the engine is warm (if adjusted correctly). Is the choke manual or automatic?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is automatic choke so does that mean everything is ok ? I didn't try the car yet as manifold is off until tomorrow ( I hope).
OK. The first photo is your throttle lever. It must be fully opened when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

The second photo is your choke blade. This only opens fully after the engine is warm (if adjusted correctly). Is the choke manual or automatic?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Yes it is automatic choke so does that mean everything is ok ?

I didn't try the car yet as manifold is off until tomorrow ( I hope).
You adjust the automatic choke once she is running.

By manifold, could that be the intake manifold? Throttle cable adj has to be made with everything together.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Manifold I mean exhaust manifold not intake but after your explanation and discussions with others it seems I'm getting there but still need adjustment because the flap on choke is not opening totally when gas pedal is pressed totally. It's opening about 3/4 as seen in pic # 1 but I know a 390 with four barrel I should feel some power right?
You adjust the automatic choke once she is running.

By manifold, could that be the intake manifold? Throttle cable adj has to be made with everything together.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Manifold I mean exhaust manifold not intake

but after your explanation and discussions with others it seems I'm getting there but still need adjustment because the flap on choke is not opening totally when gas pedal is pressed totally. It's opening about 3/4 as seen in pic # 1 but I know a 390 with four barrel I should feel some power right?
When you fully depress the accelerator pedal (and hold it), there is a feature called manual choke unloader. It allows the driver to fully depress the pedal to try and clear a flooded engine. It simply over-rides the possibly fully closed choke blade.

Because the choke blade does not fully open now while cold does not mean it is not adjusted correctly. That adjustment is made before the carb is fired.

Do you have an instruction sheet or a manual for the carb?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts