Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to do away with the throttle servo and get the throttle back under your foot where its supposed to be?

Seems like the old joke about if Bill Gates built your car and something went wrong, blah blah blah. I like the way the cars look, but don't like the idea of not having direct control, not to mention its adding a mountain of complexity to the machine.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I agree, but doubt it will be possible for a while...the thing would need reprogrammed, and you would lose traction control, opening the window for lawsuits to the retuner...as much as love my 06, gotta agree the throttle pretty much sucks. my biggest gripe is the 6 second delay at lifting before full engine braking- if its between 65-75 outside and engines cold, mine snaps shut like it should, cackles/pops...sounds pretty cool for about 20 seconds, then its back to normal...I hear much of the delay can be tuned out- hopefully as tuners get more familiar with the internal workings a complete new program can be had- as I understand it, currently most tuners are tweaking pre-specified variables, but things like the throttle servo/global windows/etc are still in the black box part of the flash...eventually someone will fix it- hopefully if enough folks bitch at ford a 'ford racing' approved off road tune will pop up with REAL throttle control/other stuff...time will tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been holding my breath ever since buying my '06 GT for some "fix" to come along for the "dreaded throttle delay" that plagues my Mustang. Applying throttle seems okay. BUT, there is no engine braking as the throttle seems to "hang up" like the old cars with ultra strong dashpots on their carb to throttle linkage. Must be an emissions feature to prevent spewing unburnt combustion gasses during decel. I understand why it's like that......I just don't want to have to live with it unless I have to. Makes me feel discontected from the very reason why I bought the car.....the engine! Hey, speaking of engines: does anyone know if the 4.6 OHC engine in the '06 Mustang GT is all aluminum or just aluminum heads? I've read both in literature from car mags and from Ford. Also, is the 3 valve head comprised of 2 intake valves and 1 exhaust, or the opposite?
Speed Safely Everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
yep- all aluminum, 2 intakes/1 ex...

btw- try the pedal recalibration thing- it helped mine a bunch:

turn key on, wait for a couple lights to shut off
smoothly depress pedal to floor and smoothly release
turn key off

you'll hear the throttle servo twitchin around... guess this reads/stores the 'endpoint' values for the pedal and throttle feedback pots at thier normal extremes and gets them to synch again. repeat a few times if necessary...really helped the pedal in mine to 'feel' more normal- except the 6 sec delay seems still set in stone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts