Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put together a T-5 for the first time (with a knowledgeable buddy), and we worry that we might not have put on the throwout bearing properly. It's weird. It just seems to sit over the input snout and slip under the clutch fork. Before mating the tranny to the clutch I could shift gears. At this point, we can't seem to do so easily. Is there a problem?
Is there a good manual for the T-5 someone can recommend? I can only find 5.0 type manuals which give a limited view of this tranny. Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I did it a few months ago, but I used a late model fork to go with my cable linkage. If that's what you used, there are two clips on the fork that the throwout bearing attaches to. They don't do a very good job of holding the bearing in place, that's what the retainer on the input shaft is for. As long as the bearing is attached to the clips, and is over the retainer on the tranny you did it right. Question is, did you have any grease on the bearing? Also, people have said to put some graphite on the retainer, and that will help with the clutch setup.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cougarguy. That's exactly the experience we had. Yes, we put it over the clips and put plenty of grease on it. We both scratched our heads thihking, "there doesn't seem to be a better way". The first time we tried to put the tranny up to the clutch assembly we knocked the throwout bearing out of position and had to do it over. Then it seemed to work. Thanks for confirmation. Now, next weekend we ought to finish the job and see if the whole thing works when we fire it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts