Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have I lost a thrust washer? Here are the ones I have or can count front to back.

_ plastic washer between pump and direct drum

_ stator to fwd drum washer

_ fwd drum to front planet

_ fwd clutch hub to forward planet

_ sun gear shell to rear planet

_ rear planet to output shaft hub

_ output shaft hub to reverse drum

_ sprag inner race to rear of case

That only totals 8 thrust washers, I thought there should be 9. I compared what I have to the following drawing/exploded view and can't see anything missing.

http://www.detranscatalog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/C4-C5.pdf

as per the drawing listed by "part number", here is what I have in order front to back:

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You are missing #244, between the rear planetary and steel sungear washer.

I could have sworn #244 was omitted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are missing #244, between the rear planetary and steel sungear washer.
No, it's the fifth one down in both lists I typed, ie "_ sun gear shell to rear planet". Unless the "steel" sun gear washer is classified as one of the "nine". I didn't list the steel washer, but it is there, I didn't consider it a thrust washer....more of a "race" that the 244 rides against.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You're not counting 243 or 263.
243 is the steel "race" discussed in the above post and 263 is the steel washer between the case and the parking gear. There are supposedly "9" thrust washers that are wear items that can be replaced from the pump back to and including the #9 washer behind the inner sprag race. From a picture of a kit on Broaders site: there are plastic ,stator, and fwd drum washers on the top row and a total of six thrust washers on the bottom row in the picture, adding up to 9 washers.

C4 Thrust Washer Kit with Selective Washers - Broader Performance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No one has mentioned 240 241 242 , even though it is retained in the planet is counted .
Well that must be the answer. I knew about that bearing but did not think it counted as one of the 9 because it isn't in the "kit" and doesn't look to be a bearing that needs replaced often. I now know I have all the bearings/t-washers and all is good. Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts

If you look at this diagram #5 is shown as the washer on the input shell. Some other sources i've seen list #5 as the bearing i mentioned in the planet .. Anyway this shows all you need

1 - 9 of 9 Posts