Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just yanked a 5.0 HO out of a thunderbird. not too sure what year it is, gotta go back to the yard, but it did have mass air. im going to put it in a 51 mercury, ive done the same to my 64 galaxie that is my daily driver with great results. the galaxies motor is out of a 90 Mark VII. what is the main differences in the two HO motors other than bolt ons and intakes. are the cams and internals different? whos got the digs on this one? all info appreciated!!!! sorry if this question has been asked before, did a few searches and couldnt find them thanks chad

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't think thunderbirds came with HO motors, just regular EFI 5.0's. Different heads, different cam, smaller throttle body, smaller injectors, etc etc, overall built to make less power. Its a roller block though. I just sold an 88 5.0 Bird, it was speed density. A previous owner had swapped on a HO intake plaque and 19 lb injectors, guess he thought that made it a HO, lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: indigo66 on 11/16/06 9:46pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Hey Taylor I did alot of research on this and the internals are all the same they both use the HO mustang firing order which is like the 351w firing order.

So I got a question for you AOD in a 67 Galaxie X Member I think I rember you saying the easier way is to use a modded torino X member?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just got back from the junkyark and the t-bird is a 92 sport. i got the computer and it has a H2M1 program code. hope this helps with some info.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do they have the same internals like cam grind, hyper pistons, heads, compression, etc. any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the only real differences are the more restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds. It probably has the hyperutectic pistons in it too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
From what I understand they are also HO's but with '94-'95 intake. I got one from a '92 cougar with an aod also. The only thing is that the cougar-t-bird uses the TFI distributor with the pig tail in the dizzy. Ford-fuelinjection says they are not as desirable as the mustang dizzy that has the plug directly on the dizzy. Mine also has tube headers but they are factory junk. My computer is a D2L. Look up fordfuelinjection.com has lots of useful info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tbird Motor
I am using the same engine in my 71' Mustang Convertible.
I swapped to a 94' Mustang computer, so I can use an MN12 Tuner board.
The 94' Mustang MAF has a different calibration curve than the 92' thunderbird MAF.
The Computer is otherwise VERY similar in wiring. The Mustang computer will also let you control an electric rad fan which the Tbird H2M does not.
The factory shorty headers tuck nicely around the power steering box in my mustang, and the intake angles forward making for a VERY nice fit!
Good Luck
Pete in Toronto Canada

1 - 11 of 11 Posts