Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the grill/cowl assemble from 77-79 Merc Montego and Thunderbird will bold onto my 79 Ranchero. I like the fender from the Thubderbird as well and I am wondering whether the fenders, hood and grill cowl all fit directly on the 79 Ranchero. An additinal question is whether the doors would fit as well. I have a line on Thunderbird doors with electric windows and that would be a nice way to do the electric window upgrade.
Any thoughts you have on the subject are welcome.
Best regards, mjs

·
Registered
688 Posts
If I am not mistaken the Montego was dropped in 77 the last year was 76 but to answer question yes the 73/6 Montego front clip will graft onto a 77/9 Ranchero quite easily so will a 72 with some frame modifications.

Tbird doors will fit on the 77/9 but the glass is different,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I believe I am buying a 79 Thunderbird for the fenders grill & hood. I'll have the whole car so then I can decide if I want to use the doors or not. This donor does not have power windows but craigslist has the parts to convert the tbird doors to power. I'm guessing that I can put the Ranchero windows into the Tbird doors and then add the TBird window motors & stuff. Do you have any experience with this? Tips or thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next Saturday I'll either pick up the full donor car or parts only (about $700 less). Either way, I'll try to get some decent pictures to post as I go through the front end graft.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I like t-bird swaps on these, the stock looks OK but they are so easy to upgrade the clip, why not. Dan's Montego clip is killer, seen 77-9 Cougar swaps and even 74-6 Elite too. Happy swapping!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts