Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Couldnt hear anything n the video.and I guess you can't record yours unless your dad runs along beside the car. :-( What about the exhaust pipe where you had to cut it to get the transmission in (if you did). got that buttoned up?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you danv. I actually ended up taking it to a shop to have the timing professionally set. Work has ramped back up for me so I just don't have the time ATM to do it myself. I'll report back what happens

Puttster, i actually had an entire new exhaust system installed so no issue there.

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
6) I...............got so mad de-installing the ebrake that i threw it into the corner of the garage never to be seen again so it's definitely not that

Man that one made my day! We've all been there! Sometimes when you calm down and go for it again things just fall into place and it almost makes you angry all over again. Like why didn't you just do that in the first place stupid thing! LOL

If that's what it sounds like I bet it's an exhaust leak. The intake is aluminum I believe you said. Hopefully not warped. I have never had one just hear that torque is different on aluminum. Who knows, maybe the exhaust isn't aligning up right with the exhaust manifold when more load is needed. after the timing set at least that will fix or rule out that aspect.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
If it only makes the noise when you're in gear ask your wife to come out and rev it up in drive with the brake on while you crawl underneath and listen..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1st off, hilarious puttster. My life insurance is too valuable to even make that a possibility.

So, had the timing set today and it runs like a dream. The ticking is still there, just much fainter than before. I think it might be the exhaust manifolds. When i took them off they weren't in great shape, but i didn't want to drop 700 on headers (should have). I just sanded them smooth, and put them back on with new gaskets.

I don't know much about timing but the notes the shop put down on the work was
"Was 5 deg ATDC. Timing now set at 12 deg BTDC. Turned carb. Car running much better with more power". They're definitely right. The car runs night and day better than before.

Thanks everyone for their help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well i didn't drive it much. I pulled the motor, rebuilt, and then it immediately started ticking so i was hesitant to take it far.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I've got a poff-poff-poff coming from right manifold. A few years ago I pulled the head intending to take it to the shop and get it planed. But decided to sand it down myself and just double-gasket it. Darn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
An update for those who care
1) the car runs like an absolute dream after having the timing set and carb tuned.
2) i got under the car and the underside exhaust manifold bolts were very loose for some reason so i tightened them down and now the tick is almost non existent! I expected a small leak as the manifolds weren't in great shape and they're really just getting me by until i can afford the headers. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've been fighting exhaust leaks for years. Finally pulled the drivers side manifold and had it planed. Car has never sounded better!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Here I always thought it'd be my head that needing planing, a removal job that required procastination.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've been fighting exhaust leaks for years. Finally pulled the drivers side manifold and had it planed. Car has never sounded better!
Interesting. These manifolds are in BAD shape so I doubt it's even worth/possible. I'll probably pull the trigger on some headers this week. The car runs so beautifully right now, but that damn tick is driving me bonkers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just got the link. Came in @ the top of page 2. As soon as I saw the prob I said "exhaust'. Any time these come up we all go straight to 'exhaust leak' as the 1. I guess its cuz anywhere U look it seems a sound comes frm that location (as apposed to actual location). Y the placement (sometimes quite dangerously) of a sound probe/sensor. Tick, tick...put, put escape of air, similar to sound of worn lifters, un oiled lifters...
I use the body 4 diagnosis: taste, feel, see, sound, smell...may B I'm just a sensual guy? dumb?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
just got the link. Came in @ the top of page 2. As soon as I saw the prob I said "exhaust'. Any time these come up we all go straight to 'exhaust leak' as the 1. I guess its cuz anywhere U look it seems a sound comes frm that location (as apposed to actual location). Y the placement (sometimes quite dangerously) of a sound probe/sensor. Tick, tick...put, put escape of air, similar to sound of worn lifters, un oiled lifters...
I use the body 4 diagnosis: taste, feel, see, sound, smell...may B I'm just a sensual guy? dumb?
It definitely tasted weird.

·
Banned
104 Posts
"just got the link. Came in @ the top of page 2. As soon as I saw the prob I said "exhaust'. Any time these come up we all go straight to 'exhaust leak' as the 1. I guess its cuz anywhere U look it seems a sound comes frm that location (as apposed to actual location). Y the placement (sometimes quite dangerously) of a sound probe/sensor. Tick, tick...put, put escape of air, similar to sound of worn lifters, un oiled lifters...
I use the body 4 diagnosis: taste, feel, see, sound, smell...may B I'm just a sensual guy? dumb?"

My fucking brain hurt trying this tripe

21 - 38 of 38 Posts